“Very good Mediterranean food.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Peno Mediterranean Grill
Ranked #202 of 749 Restaurants in Wilmington
Price range: USD 6 - USD 12
Description: Jamal Haddad founded Baba Ghannouj Bistro in 2001 which was the seed for what is now Peño Grill. He imagined more than just another restaurant. He wanted to replicate his childhood kitchen in Lebanon with amazing Mediterranean inspired flavors and lots of love. The essence of tradition and flavor is something we know very well, so let us show you the many different flavors of Peño Grill.
Reviewed 9 August 2017

This used to be Babba Gannouj , which is still served. Everything is made daily. All is quite tasty and unusual. The menu could be a bit broader, but it is perfectly adequate. Whatever the problem was with the A/C, it does not persist.
Also, one can order at the counter and ask them to bring the food to your table and they're happy to do it.

Reviewed 7 July 2017

Good food which is totally overwhelmed by the Lack of AIR CONDITIONING - are these people kidding - NO A/C in this Hot & Humid climate??? They have fans running to circulate the stale hot & humid air inside. They likely need to boost the A/C to overcome the heat from the grill - but something should be done.
Their food is good, the prices are not cheap and the seating is spartan, formica tables, hard chairs, close to other tables, offering NO privacy and hearing all nearby conversations. They compete with many nearby sit-down restaurants serving also a nice meal at the same price - BUT in a comfortable setting with cool air.
Much better when the weather turns cooler and with fewer patrons.

Reviewed 9 May 2017

We used to go to this place when it was called baba ghannouj. :) Interestingly, the baba ghannouj was my wife's favorite part of this restaurant, and after going 2-3 times in a row when they just didn't have baba ghannouj, we threw up our arms and gave up.

This afternoon, we had tried Genki to find out that the are closed on Monday, so we figured we would give this place another chance. We had scratched it off the list a while ago, and didn't know that the name had changed.

Once inside, we noticed that the menu hadn't really changed. It seemed like the same people working there (although I could be mistaken) so it struck me as more of a branding change than anything else.

I generally get the lamb platter, which they did a great job with as baba ghannouj, the lamb wasn't over done, it was savory and flavorful. On this occasion, however, I elected to go with the Gyro platter, just b/c I was craving something a little saltier. My wife went with a chicken kabob platter, with baba ghannouj and chick-pea salad.

I though that the gyro meat was good, I can't say for sure, but I think there is at least a chance that they make it themselves, rather than buying it frozen. With this platter, you don't get to pick your sides, so it came with hummus and a greek-style salad. I found the greek salad way to drenched in sour dressing (next time I willl try to order it with no dressing), and the hummus was fine, a little heavy on the tahini and light on the garlic for my taste, but not a problem at all.

My wife's chicken kabob was pretty basic and bland, although the baba ghannouj was good as always, and I didn't try her chick pea salad, although I'm sure it was to her liking.

Since the kitchen is in the dining area, your cloths are going to smell like a Mediterranean grill if you eat inside. There are 3 tables outside, and it is reasonably quiet in section of the parking lot, although your experience may vary. (this is part of the reason that we haven't been in a while, we don't like eating inside and the weather is just starting to change). Also, it is one of those order at the counter kinda places, and around lunch time, the line can be most infuriating.

Still, service is reasonably fast, and always friendly. We haven't had trouble finding a table yet, although I can see this becoming an issue.

Overall, we might put this place back on the list. I'd like to see if the lamb dish has changed under the new branding.

Reviewed 27 February 2017

Wow. They had the best salads, wraps and gyros. The only complaint I would have is that the signage outside is confusing. Either it was for a previous restaurant or Peno's is the second line of the business name??? Not sure but go there anyway!