“Great weekend rain and all”

The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Waynesville
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I don't understand all the bad reviews. We had a great stay this weekend. The weather was the only disappointment. Our room was perfectly clean and very roomy. Nothing was outdated. We stayed in room number 187, a deluxe, with a golf view. Perfect for a family of four. Everyone was very friendly. Wish we could've played golf but the rain kept us indoors. The views were amazing. Breakfast buffet both mornings and dinner one night left us with no complaints. Also, we had dinner at Bogarts just down the road. I highly recommend it. Great service and food.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrea L
thewaynesvilleinn, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Thanks for taking a few moments to share your experience at the Inn. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations, food and staff so much. We're looking forward to your next visit already ... And we'll work on keeping the rain away for next time! Thanks again.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

I can't understand the bed reviews I've read. I have just come from a very satisfying meal for two at the Cork & Clever that was included in my economically priced two night package. For an appetizer I had a crab cake. That was followed by a 12 oz ribeye, and the third course I chose was a warm chocolate brownie a la mode. It is true the quarters could use a little updating, but they are hardly run down. Moreover, the staff are friendly. I would come again.

Room Tip: I am staying in the main building.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for logging on an sharing your thoughts about our property so quickly! I will pass along your kind words about the evening meal and friendly service to the staff and management team. Warm Regards!

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We found this deal on Living Social, as did many of the reviewers. The price was too good to be true and now I am reluctant to purchase anything from the Living Social website after this trip. The Golf Course was beautiful, thats it. We intended on a 3 day 2 night romantic weekend. We were excited until we walked down the dark extremely narrow hallway to find our golf course view room. They handed us keys, not cards, and I knew we were in for an outdated weekend. As soon as we opened the door I wanted to leave. The furniture, bedding, bathroom, EVERYTHING was really old. There were drop ceilings, and the tiles were old discolored, I felt at any moment something would crawl out of them. The bathroom door, was a pocket door that did not slide closed for privacy. The Bathroom ceiling was stained and had hair stuck to it. The bath mat had black curly hairs it was disgusting. The area outside the bathroom to wash hands, brush teeth and do hair and make-up was so small and the lighting was flourescent. Terrible. Only one plug in the outlet worked as well. The room was musty. The heat didn't work right and I had to keep getting up at night to change the settings, needless to say we were upset with the room. One other MAJOR issue, you can hear EVERYTHING above you and next to you from the other rooms....not my idea of romance!

The restaurants were just as bad, Cork & Cleaver had a limited menu, so we got up and left. The morning buffet was gross, no gloves were used, the eggs were mush, the food was gross. We only attempted that one morning and left without eating there as well. The best part of our entire stay were the little restaurants in the little town, they were amazing. We were extremely upset with our stay and the staff and service at the Waynesville Inn. I would not recommend this place to anyone, ever. This place needs a complete overhaul.

Room Tip: My only tip to choose a good room is to NOT stay here at all.
4  Thank Jamie R

Thank you for offering some insight into your stay with us. It is certainly not going unnoticed. I do apologize for you leaving the Inn not as happy as we have come to expect from most of our guests. While many people love staying in the lodge, we do find that some prefer to stay in a couple of the outlying buidlings on property, where the rooms are more modern in style and the atmosphere is a bit more private. I have noted some of the things that you have mentioned as areas in which we can strive to improve. Again, I apologize for your stay being less than enjoyable. I am glad that you are a fan of the area and I hope you will continue to visit Waynesville, whether staying with us or not. Warm Regards.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I want to start this review off with a few positives as I believe in giving credit where credit is due...

1. The view from our room, out over the golf course and into the mountains was very nice. The property is resting in a valley so you're looking up at the mountains and in the morning sun, it was very lovely.

2. The staff was accommodating to our needs and didn't give us any grief over any requests.

3. If your desire is to have a 2 or 3 star place to stay that has a golf course out your back door, I'd say you're going to be very satisfied with this place.

Ok, that's where the good stuff ends...

Perhaps we are a bit spoiled but when my wife and I went to this property for a two day trip on a last minute whim. We literally booked the trip on line at 3pm and arrived at 8pm the same night.

Upon arrival, the clerk informed us that there was an "issue" with our reservation because we made it on-line. However, he was very helpful and was able to resolve the issue and we got the room we booked.

We drove over to our room since it wasn't in the main building. Our room was in their "newest building" - on the golf course. Upon entry, we found the accommodations to be circa 1982. So, this is the newest building?! Really?! OK, it's not the Ritz. But it's certainly in desperate need of an upgrade. I will say the room was quite spacious.

After further investigation in the room, we found the bed to be in desperate need of having both mattress and box-spring replaced. Combined, they were about 10" thick and you could clearly see they were collapsing. Pulling back the covers, we found short curly hairs and something that resembled food crumbs near the "pillows" (the term "pillows" used loosely). We went to the lobby and explained to the front desk staff that we'd be checking out a day early.

As far as climate goes, the room as sweltering hot. We were unable to regulate the temperature to something tolerable. A sleepless night later, we went the the on premise restaurant for their breakfast buffet. My wife ordered an egg white omelet from the chef standing at her station in the buffet. The chef, bear handed (ie. no gloves) broke the egg and proceeded to shake the egg in her BEAR HANDS to only get the egg white into the pan. No gloves. Bear handed. Needless to say, that omelet did not get eaten....

We left as quickly as we got there and will not be returning...

I'm sure this place was gorgeous in it's hay-day but it's in desperate need of some serious upgrades and leadership.

7  Thank djdulong

Thank you for sharing the details of your time with us, despite your having had a less than perfect stay. I appreciate the positives you have listed, and apologize for the negative things that you endured while in Waynesville. I have noted some things to improve upon and thank you again for your time.

Reviewed 3 January 2012

My husband and I purchased a package deal off of travelzoo.com that enabled us to get a two night stay and 2 prix fixe meals for only $189.00+ taxes. We were very pleased with the welcome we received at check-in. We were placed in a room on the first floor of the lodge and loved it. It was a spacious room with the amenities we expected in a mountain getaway. Being on the first floor, we were just steps away from the Cork & Cleaver Restaurant where we enjoyed our New Years Eve 3 course meal. Service was a bit slow, but what can you expect at any restaurant on New Year's Eve! We tried to enjoy beautiful downtown Waynesville, but realizing most shops would be closed due to the holiday weekend, we spent most of our babymoon relaxing in our room. We would visit again!

1  Thank lesleelou2002

Thanks so much for taking a few moments to post a review for everyone to see! I am so happy that you took advantage of that offer and were able to enjoy a couple of nights away from home over the holidays. I will let everyone know about your kind words and wish you all the best with the little one until we see you again! Warm Regards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
1.5 km away
10.7 km away
Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas
Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas
#1 of 25 in Maggie Valley

Been to The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!