“Unique experience”

Birchwood Hall Southern Kitchen
Ranked #18 of 121 Restaurants in Waynesville
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

We had a sweet weekend trip to the area. Part of that was walking & shopping in the precious downtown area. We chose Birchwood because it sounded like our type of place. It is an elegant place but we didn't feel silly in our normal clothes. The appetizer was a taste, as it should be, of pepper crackers topped with amazing pimento cheese and pickled veggies. We each had yummy sandwiches . Turkey and fried green tomato blt. It was delicious and the fries are great. It was expensive but you get what you pay for. Great staff and beautiful interior.

There are newer reviews for Birchwood Hall Southern Kitchen

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Stop in for lunch with friends, had a very enjoyable meal, BLTs with fried green tomatoes, Chicken pot pie in a fry pan, were winners, the plate presentation was nice, the waitstaff friendly and managers stopping by the table to ask if all was fine.

1  Thank peterrC5040MB
Reviewed 9 August 2017

From the recommendations of wine at the bar, through three courses in a lovely private booth table, our evening was delightful. The service was attentive and the food was delicious.

1  Thank Andrea T
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

I had the Shrimp and grits and they were the best I had ever had. The service was amazing. I even got to meet the chef and he gave me a personal tour. During my tour I got to find out why my dish was so perfect. And that was because the Chef makes everything in house himself. If you never had tasso before you need to order it here because his tasso was perfect. I will definitely take future dates here.

2  Thank MisterEav
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Birchwood is in the space formerly occupied by Nick and Nates. The space has been sparsely but attractively renovated. The new bar area is quite nice. The remainder of the space looks pretty much the same except for new carpet.

We decided to try Birchwood for Sunday lunch at the last minute. We were immediately impressed by the menu. There seemed to be a good many great choices. My husband was deciding between the fried chicken and chicken pot pie. He chose the fried chicken based on the server's recommendation. He was very disappointed. His comment was the batter reminded him that flour and water make paste.

I had the curry chicken salad sandwich. I have never had curry chicken salad that I have not liked until now. The curry and chutney flavor was delightful but not enough to save the sandwich. The bread was a heavy bun. It could have been improved with toasting, but it was entirely too bready. The strange thing about the sandwich is that it didn't seem like the chicken salad was made ahead of time. Inside the bread there was lettuce, cherry tomatoes, whole green grapes ( kept popping out annoyingly), very little chicken (both white and dark meat that looked like it was pulled from a rotisserie chicken) and the curry, chutney mayo sauce. I chose the side salad for my side. It was a pretty little salad that would have been perfect if not for the horrible homemade green goddess dressing that was served with it.

The plates look great when they come out down to the cute little mason jar that the salad dressing is served in. There is a lot of focus on plating. The waiter even brought the salt and pepper on a napkin covered plate. If the food just tasted as good as it looks, this place could have promise.