“Thai food for farangs”

Kyoto Japanese Steakhouse
Price range: USD 0 - USD 18
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Originally opened in 2004 by Larry and his wife Chanpheng. Head chef Noy and her family purchased the establisment in 2011.
Reviewed 18 February 2015

This restaurant moved from the Tryon location a year ago and is relocated in Landrum,SC under a new name. Having worked in upcountry Thailand, I am always looking for my favorite cuisine. I have eaten here on occasion but always found the thai curries and pad thai cloyingly sweet and that spoils it for me. The fresh rice paper wrapped rolls were always too much iceberg lettuce and not the mint, cilantro, basil, noodles , tofu and shrimp what make the best rolls. Also they wre wrapped too loosely.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We go there regularly for the Thai curry dishes and always enjoy the food and the service. There is a bar in the lower level.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Good quality Thai food, reasonably priced. Range of curries, number of lunch specials. nice place to have a quiet lunch with friends and privacy for conversations. Service is very good and rendered with a smile.

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

The food is good. Love te fact that they put shrimp sauce in a bottle so you can get as much as you want. Some restaurants charge you for extra. The service is the best part. Very friendly people.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

The food is really not bad and we've always had pleasant service. In my estimation it's a little pricey for what you get but I really like the shrimp and rice. You get sweet carrots and broccoli with most entrees but I omit this as I dislike both. Other options may include mushrooms or zucchini but as luck would have I dislike these as well so it's shrimp and rice for me and I order a salad too.It's ok for a change every now and then.