“Getting ahead of themselves?”
Review of Crescent Golf Club

Crescent Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Eighteen-hole, par 72 public golf course stretches 6,822 yards with a U.S.G.A./slope rating of 72.90/129.
Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

I am continuing to try to give Crescent every opportunity to be my home course. But it's been tough. While certain aspects of the golf course conditions have improved, overall it's still a substandard track. Course conditions don't support price of greens fees.
Specifically:
Tee boxes- most lack good grass. Ground is hard, not very good for footing. D
Fairways- still way too many then/bare spots from previous owner ripping up the sod and selling it. It's going to take at least three more growing seasons to get the fairways back to the level that they want it to be(more on that below) C- *Note- don't go by the website photo of the couple walking down a fairway. If that's Revival @ Crescent, it was shot 12-15 years ago.
Bunkers- maybe the biggest improvement has been accomplished here. Most were fair & well-groomed. Trick now is to maintain them daily/weekly. A-
Greens- nice. Responding well to being punched. A little soft and slow, but that's typical after punching occurs. Daily maintenance and water, and this will be the best part of the course until fairways catch up. B+
Value- hence the title. Pricing is above what the course offers. Others tracks within a 20 minute drive offer more for less $. Grade D.
An idea- instead of swinging for the fence price wise, why not develop a Loyalty/Locals program to increase rounds, keeping the local golfer from taking their golfing money to Clemmons or elsewhere. A loyalty program could be tied in to the driving range to stimulate foot traffic and increase the regulars skill level, making them want to play more golf. A small charge per month gets you "X" number of buckets of range balls, and loyalty rates.
Misc.- Good stuff- Golf Carts, general course layout, attempts at filling holes on cart path w/gravel.
Not Good- NO WATER to drink on the course($2/bottle inside), yardage markers faded/missing. That no water thing is simply ridiculous!
Maybe it's just me, but there just seems to be something missing from a hospitality standpoint. I lived in the grand Strand area for 20+ years where the competition is very keen, and you have to separate yourself by providing wonderful guest service. No one has thanked me for my business, told me they appreciate me coming in, please come see me again kind of thing. If you're going to charge $40 for water and 18 holes of golf on poor fairways, you gotta justify that somewhere.

Reviewed 23 October 2016

New ownership here in the last month or so and course is being renamed "The Revival at The Crescent Golf Club" to reflect the aspirations of the new owners.

This course has been around for a while. My father-in-law from Mocksville used to play here regularly 20 years ago. This was my first time playing and apparently the course conditions have varied considerably over the years. I can say that when I played in October 2016, the conditions were very good. Sure some of the fairways had some rough spots and some of the greens were burned out. The bunkers are mostly unplayable, though they were clearly starting to work on those. But most lies in the fairways and most of the greens were in good to excellent condition. The greens were actually quite good, which is fortunate because many of the greens are quite long (a rangefinder is helpful, or pay close attention to the color of the flag since it can be 30 yards difference from front to back on some).

I would say that $20-$30 is a fair green fee for this course, depending on when you want to play. I actually made a reservation on GolfNow for $10/each only to get an email from the course saying they are no longer participating in GolfNow, but the new owners could not get GolfNow to take them off their site. To their credit, the golf course honored my GolfNow price.

Pace of play was excellent, customer service was excellent. I will definitely be back.

Reviewed 29 July 2016

Played last weekend and the course is slowly getting better. The greens were much better than a couple months ago. The fairways are showing improvment, still some rough spots and bare areas, but again improving. The bunkers are still in poor condition, we played preferred lies and it was manageable. The rates have risen some, but still a good course for the money, ($30 for early weekend). Playing again this weekend.

1  Thank orccim
Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

15 months ago I felt this course was toast. It was worst course conditions I had ever played. I read they have new owners, so I gave it another try. Pro shop guy was friendly. Pro shop clean and carts were nice(except no ball/club wash or sand on board.)Rating 3.0 But I was there for the course. Here's what I found: Greens: Impressive work! A little on the slow side, probably an 8 or 9. Somewhat tough to stick an approach, but very few burned/bare spots and nice grass. Rating 4.0(out of 5) HUGE improvement!
Fairways- Improved. A work in progress. You can't undo 7 years of neglect overnight(or in 1-2 seasons). Excited about where they are headed. Rating 2.5 TeeBoxes- same as fairways. White tees worse than the others(maybe close those and stagger whites with gold one hole/blue the next?)rating 2.0
Rough- it was well... rough. I kind of liked it. It was natural, thick sometimes. It reminded me of the courses around Pinehurst. You are supposed to be penalized a little for missing fairway. Again, years of neglect still shows with too many bare spots. Rating 2.5
Bunkers- they obviously haven't addressed that major problem yet. Rating 0.
Summary- I'll return. Someone now cares and it's showing. If they maintain progress, this track will be very nice in 2-4 years.

2  Thank Jeffrey S
Reviewed 12 January 2016

It seems as if new management has started to begin some improvements on the golf course. The staff was friendly and told me about course conditions.