“Poor BUT Improving!”
Review of Crescent Golf Club

Crescent Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Eighteen-hole, par 72 public golf course stretches 6,822 yards with a U.S.G.A./slope rating of 72.90/129.
Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

15 months ago I felt this course was toast. It was worst course conditions I had ever played. I read they have new owners, so I gave it another try. Pro shop guy was friendly. Pro shop clean and carts were nice(except no ball/club wash or sand on board.)Rating 3.0 But I was there for the course. Here's what I found: Greens: Impressive work! A little on the slow side, probably an 8 or 9. Somewhat tough to stick an approach, but very few burned/bare spots and nice grass. Rating 4.0(out of 5) HUGE improvement!
Fairways- Improved. A work in progress. You can't undo 7 years of neglect overnight(or in 1-2 seasons). Excited about where they are headed. Rating 2.5 TeeBoxes- same as fairways. White tees worse than the others(maybe close those and stagger whites with gold one hole/blue the next?)rating 2.0
Rough- it was well... rough. I kind of liked it. It was natural, thick sometimes. It reminded me of the courses around Pinehurst. You are supposed to be penalized a little for missing fairway. Again, years of neglect still shows with too many bare spots. Rating 2.5
Bunkers- they obviously haven't addressed that major problem yet. Rating 0.
Summary- I'll return. Someone now cares and it's showing. If they maintain progress, this track will be very nice in 2-4 years.

2  Thank Jeffrey S

Reviewed 12 January 2016

It seems as if new management has started to begin some improvements on the golf course. The staff was friendly and told me about course conditions.

Reviewed 20 July 2015

We have enjoyed this course since we moved to Salisbury, but it has continually gotten worse and this trip was very disappointing. We have heard that the course has struggled financially, and apparently now they have literally sold the sod from many of the fairways. In most cases, it is in areas not in play, such as just in front of the tee boxes, but the course is still in bad shape. May of the greens are damaged and the fringe is often very bad too. We felt like we had to chip and putt through land mines throughout the round. The front nine was the worst. I included pictures of the worst and best areas.

The course has many clay bunkers and they were in decent shape. There are a few water hazards also. Most fairways are tree lined and some are narrow. This could be a fun course if it was maintained better. We paid $55 for two to ride with a bag of balls to hit (after 11:00). I believe it was $28 before 11:00. You just can't charge your standard rates when the course is in this bad of shape (and no mention of it when paying).

We've also had hit or miss service here. Frank is always very friendly, but we experienced others that are almost borderline rude. It's sad, this course could be so much more.

2  Thank TracyTravelsOn
Reviewed 12 July 2015 via mobile

After seeing how bad #1 tee, fairway and green was, we should have turned around and demanded our money back. By far the worst course I've ever played. I've played a few $5 for 18 hole courses and they were in much better shape. Don't believe what you see of #10-11 as you drive in, everything else is terrible. How can you have this many house and such bad conditions?
DO NOT PLAY HERE!!

3  Thank Timzr
Reviewed 5 June 2015 via mobile

Steady decline over the years to an all-time low this May. Fairway grass dug up and removed (sold?) on several fairways. 1/2 of every green gone/lost. No drinking water on course. General upkeep nonexistent.
Pro- clubhouse staff was friendly(but should have warned me about playing conditions)
I felt like I was playing on a course that had closed a month or two ago.

1  Thank Jeffrey S