“What a Load of Buller”

Private Mount Buller Ski and Snow Tour from Melbourne
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 14 August 2015

It's beyond official, Australia has snow. As I write the official depth is about to top 1 metre (at Mt Buller).
We got in for a quick ski (my first time at Buller) this past weekend, and I must say I was pleasently surprised (Yes I was dubious that a ski field just 3 hours out of Melbourne could be, well, skiiable)
With 22 lifts running, and a full crew taking care of business, it was a great weekend on the hill, mention: the team of folk who provide services at Mt Buller make the place.
The snow was adequate, put a smile on my face, deep enough for some speed, not so deep you forget you're in Oz.
We skied 3 out of 3 days, and did I mention the team of folk behind the scenes? Mice job guys, thanks for a wonderfilled weekend!!

There are newer reviews for Mt Buller

Reviewed 13 August 2015

I have been visiting Mt Buller every year, and generally it has been pretty great, but I always feel like the overall attitude of the staffs there are less friendly and unwelcoming comparing to other mountain resorts such as Mt Hotham and Falls Creek. Majority of the staffs are just rude. This year, I chose to stay on the mountain for 3 days, we parked at the car park as instructed, and our car got snow in, so when , we got drop off by the taxi, we couldn't get the car out. there was another car there said they were there for 3 hr already try to clear the snow out of their car, and when we finally got help, and left, there were other cars that clearly also got snow in, and needed assistant. We paid so much for the parking and taxi service at this resort, and they should of know that there would be issues after heavy snow fall, they should of taken more care, and either warn people about the conditions, or provided more help. There was a power shortage that day, and we had no phone reception, and by the time we realise we need help, it was dark, and we have to walk all the way back to the resort to ask for assistance, and then they blame us for not asking for help sooner, how can we when the entire mountain had no phone service, and we not even sure our location is? Because I never experience this kind of situation before, when my car was getting toll out of the snow, I didn't really know what I suppose to be doing, and having one of the resort staff yelling at me was not exactly helpful, it pretty much ruined my otherwise enjoyable holiday.
I have been to Hotham and Fallscreek, and have been there when it was much worst condition, and have not once had a bad experience there. Maybe Mt buller just really don't care about their customer, and as long they can get the money off you.

1  Thank yao w
Reviewed 11 August 2015 via mobile

The snow fall at Mt Buller mid August was amazing. The mountain and vistas are beautiful. The ski school was excellent for the kids. The instructors would move the kids according to their abilities within a session & had my young primary school aged kids skiing all over the mountain on day 2. Would recommend private lessons for adults if your budget allows. Lots of centrally located on snow accommodation and places to eat & drink. Nice village too. Easy 3hr drive from Melbourne. Would be worth the drive to experience snow / tobogganing with kids also. We'll definitely visit again.

Reviewed 9 August 2015

It was many years ago that I learnt that Australia had ski fields and much to my surprise I now regularly spend the ski season at Mt Buller.
As a well seasoned Mt Buller skier I see things that could be improved so decided to make a list of things that will make a visit to Mt Buller hassle free.
Entry and Parking
Your first stop when you reach Mt Buller is the Resort Entry point at the base of the mountain (Mirimbah), where you’ll be required to pay an entry fee that goes towards the costs of essential services on the mountains - this fee provides entry to both Mt Buller and Mt Stirling. To speed up your entry into the resort you can prepay by on the Mt Buller website. You will then be directed up to the Mt Buller carpark from there you will need to catch an over-snow taxi to Enzian. Costs for taxi service from the Mt Buller carpark to Enzian Hotel can be found on the Mansfield - Mt Buller Bus Lines website.

As you are staying overnight, parking fees apply. In addition, as you will be travelling above the snowline, you are required to carry wheel chains as weather conditions can change unexpectedly throughout your stay. Once parked you will need to take over-snow taxi transportation to Enzian Hotel. Please note that there is no onsite parking for guests at any accommodation provider in the Mt Buller Village.

Bus
To reduce your costs of hiring chains, entering the resort, parking, and transport to the hotel you can park in Mansfield or Mirimbah at the base of the mountain and get the MMBL bus up to Mt Buller Village, then walk the 150 metres from the bus turnaround to Enzian. Full details can be found here It is always best to book in advance.

Lift Passes, equipment and lessons
Black Mountain Equipment and Grimus Ski Centre offer hotel guests a minimum 10% discount on hire equipment. Please ensure that you have credit card and photo ID for hiring and mention where you are staying to get your discount.

Bookings with Buller Ski Lifts for lift passes, ski lessons, equipment hire packages can be found on the Mt Buller Website.

Ski Guarantee
Any bookings are covered by the Mt Buller Ski Guarantee, essentially if four of the ski guarantee lifts are not operating two days prior to your arrival you can cancel and are entitled to a full refund without any booking penalties.

I hope you find this information worthwhile and that you enjoy your stay at Mt Buller.

3  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 9 August 2015

A beautiful Alpine village, with cosy accommodation options and a great fun ski and snowboard school for the children and adults alike! Bourke Street has a great beginner run. And the Bourke Street lift staff were only to happy to help first timers on and off the ski lifts. For families the Foodworks supermarket was quite pricey and the toboggan run area quite small. However overall we had a fantastic experience!

1  Thank kyleeaw