Lock in great prices from these sites
Ian R
Go to Hell Shiraz Motel
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 26 Aug 2022
I'm mostly enjoying another mini, local adventure with the opportunity to spend some money in regional businesses doing it tough. It turns out not all proprietors warrant that consideration.

I booked to stay at the Shiraz Motel in Auburn and cycled in from Gawler late afternoon to be baled up in the forecourt by an aggressive bull terrier of some description with teeth bared, ears back, etc.

The manager was dealing with other customers in the forecourt but gave no acknowledgement to me and took no effort to call off the hound.

I eventually called out asking him to control his dog. He did not take that well. He marched over, said I had an attitude problem and (correctly assuming I had a booking) demanded that I leave!

According to the owner,, she's a friendly bitch. If I'd taken the trouble to pet her I would have discovered that.

My response that I don't attempt to pet or approach strange dogs didn't help our doomed relationship.

I cycled off to find alternative accommodation.

I say "Go to Hell!", Auburn Shiraz Motel.

(It seems I can't submit zero stars )
Date of stay: August 2022
    AU$340
19.8 km from Auburn Shiraz Motel
Free Wifi
View more hotels in Auburn
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 November 2019 via mobile

While the rooms are mostly what you would expect the one exception is the air conditioning control. Paid for the room and was then advised would have to get out of bed every 2 hours to press a wall button for the air conditioning to run. The temperature was 40 degrees.

Date of stay: December 2018
1  Thank 77smokeybear
Reviewed 8 October 2018

With accommodation very booked out in the valley, I was glad to find this familiar motel. Rooms are basic, very clean and there are plenty of warm blankets. Proprietor helpfully arranged that I could access a room early after returning from Bush camp and needing a long hot shower before hading to a wedding.

Date of stay: October 2018
Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

The Shiraz was the closest motel to our event. We had a room with a queen and a bunk (double under single). Room was a good size and clean. Bathroom was large but dated and cold. An extra blanket or 2 would be helpful and there was lots of pillows. The room served its purpose and we would stay again if needed.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

This was the second time we have stayed at the Auburn Shiraz Motel, which provides well-maintained, budget accommodation within a few minutes walk from cafes/restaurant/pub. The owner, Gavin, has transformed the office rooms into an appealing Victorian/Edwardian bar and dining room where, with a bit of notice, he will provide an evening meal. On our second night we had roast lamb and chocolate cake and a bottle of Gavin's very drinkable red. An excellent base from which to explore the Clare Valley.

Date of stay: August 2017
Reviewed 20 December 2016

Budget motel in The Clare Valley region. Nice enough owner that turned a bit nasty when a bill was questioned by one of our party...didn't stick to what was quoted over the phone. Good breakfast and walk to the local pub.

Date of stay: November 2016