“Ideal For What We Needed”

Hotel GHT Aquarium & SPA
Ranked #7 of 124 Hotels in Lloret de Mar
Reviewed 7 June 2008

We wanted a hotel that was near Lloret centre but also far enough away so you could get some peace and quiet if needed. The Aquarium was a perfect choice.

Two of us went out there for 5 nights halfboard, 23yr old male and 21yr old female. Flights with ryanair, transfers with resorthoppa, hotel booked through holidaynights website - total cost £190 a person

Fenals beach 400 metres down the road with various shops and places to eat and drink on the way. Llloret centre is extremely easy to get to aswell – you get on the main road and just stick to walking down that! Didn’t take us long at all to walk. Was a little concerned from other reviews that the walk may be a bit far but it really wasn’t a problem!

There is a supermarket 2 minutes from the hotel aswell just over the main road!
We visited the water park Water World – bought tickets from reception and got the free bus from lloret centre! If you like waterparks then it’s worth a trip and was quiet when we went aswell! Apart from that we visited fenals beach and lloret beach and just used the hotels pools.

Hotel pools were excellent, outside pool was a bit chilly still (ideal for cooling sunburnt skin) but the indoor covered part was lovely and warm! Sometimes we had the pool to ourselves. Pools, gym, steam room, Jacuzzis were all free. They also have a sunbed which costs 4.50 euros for 12 minutes.

The room was slightly dated but did the job, the shower was nice and powerful and always hot enough! And the cleaners did a good job and made sure we always had fresh towels etc. TV wise, 3 english channels, eurosport, cbeebies, skynews. I’m glad I took my laptop to put some music on while we had a couple of hours before going out in the evenings.

Food, really good. A lot of people we met from other hotels were struggling to find things to eat but we were quite happy with what was on offer. Easily something for everyone anyway. At Breakfast there was even bacon, the best bacon I’ve had in spain before anyway.

Other places to eat – Orient Express. Right on lloret beach front. We had a table looking out to sea. Food was really good here.
Disaster Café - very very different, not somewhere to take a young child. A good laugh in a group or if the place was busy but we were the only people eating in there that night. They turn the lights off at times your eating and the whole thing shakes like an earthquakes hit. We spilt a fair bit of wine! Would have been better in a group or if the place was busy I guess. Was just a bit awkward being the only 2 people in there.

Drinks wise, we had some lovely cocktails from a bar on the beachfront in lloret. They had torches burning outside and the “superduper” cocktails were huge and very good. Definitely worth a visit if you like your cocktails.

The hotel was probably only about half full at a guess which suited us as we went out each evening and didn’t expect to be staying in the hotel to be entertained. Check out I think was meant to be 10am, we extended our room for the rest of the day for 20 euros as our flight wasn’t until a lot later.

Overall, was ideal for what we wanted and fitted in perfectly for a short relaxing break with some laughs and bits to do.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Dave_Essex
Write a ReviewReviews (1,207)

Reviewed 7 June 2008

I wasn't going to write a review because, basically, I'm agreeing with everyone else on this board who thinks it's a really good place. But I've read all the other reviews, and it would be churlish not to contribute. It was our third visit.

My wife, I, and 9-year old daughter had a four night stay, 27-31 May 2008. We booked though www.findmeaccom.co.uk, and paid £34 a night for the three of us, half board. Given the standard pof the hotel and all its facilites, this has to be one of the best bargains ever, anywhere.

We flew Ryanair Newquay to Girona. Standard Ryanair flight. £297 for all three. (Headline price £112 - b*s*t*d*s!). Got a taxi from the airport to Lloret, 50 Euros each way.

The hotel looks a bit dated, but it's spotlessly clean. Nice reception areas & public areas.

The room was average size, with two singles pushed together as a double bed, and a fold out armchair bed for the daughter. Not great, but acceptable. Small balcony looking over the street - a nice place to sit & sip & watch the strange folk passing by.

Food was fine. If you've got a kid, you really appreciate being able just to say: go and get what you want. It was continental style, of course. But where were we? A couple on the next table were trying to persuade their boy to eat chicken. "It's like chicken nuggets without the... err... nuggets, dear." I think the poor kid lived on bread and chips. It's not gourmet stuff, of course. For that price tyou're not going to get fillet steak and lobster. But it was good, well prepared, honest food, and I ate bloody loads :-)

The drink's not too dear, for a hotel. The bar does lager at 3 euros a half litre, which is not bad. Their spirits look expensive but, my oh my, you get an awful lot of gin or brandy in the glass. And the coffee at the bar is v good. The restaurant wines are all right. House wine at 7 euros, better stuff at 10 or 12.

The outdoor pool was a bit too brass monkey's for me, but the indoor pool is really warm and most pleasant. There are few budget hotels around with a pool as good as this. Nice water jet & spray, newly installed.

Staff were efficient and courteous throughout, except for an officious little **** of a restaurant manager who insisted on me producing my guest card. On the third evening. "La carta! La carta! Sempre! Sempre!"
Location is good, of course. 3 mins to the supermarket, 10 to Fenals beach, 15 to Lloret centre.

I won't go into detail about what we did in Lloret - this is a hotel review, after all. But we had a great time. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Tony_Somerset
Reviewed 24 May 2008

I have just returned from a most pleasent long weekend at the Aquarium and both my group members ( 17 ) and myself were more than satisfied with what the Aquarium had to offer. Brisk check in, good sized rooms all with balcony, clean facilities, an excellent indoor pool complete with hydro message, Turkish steam room, tanning beds, jacuzzi,cold plunge etc and all free. This is besides the outdoor facilities. The food was very very good, always varied and of Meditereanian standard,with fresh fish, meats, pasta, soups, paella, salads etc besides show cooking at breakfast ( omelettes to order) and dinner. ( kebabs, grilled meats etc) If your taste is bangers, mash, chips,fish fingers, and similar fare, please go to Blackpool. Also if you are after cheap beer, lots of noise, sleepless nights, go to the main beach in LLoret. Here you have Fenals beach just down the road and it is tops. Rooms cleaned daily and staff very amiable. Just try to be courtous and respectful and do not expect that all foreigners speak your language. Just enjoy!!

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Maltesefalc0n
Reviewed 8 April 2008

Just returned from this hotel after a week's stay. Read the earlier reviews before booking and booked on the basis of them. The hotel lived up to the ranking given on tripadvisor. The staff are excellent, the hotel and rooms are very clean and the quality of the food and variety of the menu is very good. My only criticism of the restaurant is that the hot food could have done with being kept hotter. On occasion, it was only luke warm. However, this didn't detract from the quality or the preparation. I cannot comment on the overall quality of entertainment provided in the hotel as I only watched one show. The show I did see was very good.
It is a hotel that seems to be more well used by French, German and Spanish guests than British.
From my experience I would say that it is an ideal hotel for couples.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Alan H
Reviewed 3 April 2008

Read a lot of reviews for this hotel prior to booking, they were mixed, but I had a week off work, it was an ok price and went for it, reviews on this and other sights had complained about various things. Noise, we did go off season, so no noise from discos, bars so cannot comment, the first night we were there was on the first floor, there was an old crooner in the bar right below and we asked for a move the very next day, staff were excellent did this no problem. Others have said its a fair bit out of Lloret, this may be a bonus, there is a lot of very nice restauraunts and bars in Lloret, however there is also a lot of tack, so its no bad thing to be out of town, I would imagine its pretty horrible at night, however it is only 5 mins walk along the main road, no need for a bus. As I said we went out of season, so the outdoor pool (unheated was too cold), however there is a newly covered indoor section, with steam room, gym, etc staffed by a fantasic lifeguard Jordi who my 2 year old daughter adored. Next up, while we were there the clientel was mainly French, Italian and Spanish, this may appear unpatriotic, but I think that is a bonus. The food - its half board, its a buffet, its not going to be five star stuff, however its fresh, fish fillets, steaks, pork, plenty of salad and fruit (accompaniments limited to chips, granted) but you can always find something. As I mentioned previously the staff were all very helpful and appreciative if you made an effort to speak a bit of spanish, even just a Hola or Buenos Dias. Fennels appears to be more residential than hotels and as such plenty of Spanish Owned and Used by bars and cafes, recommend La Marina, short walk from the hotel accross from the park. Have a nice stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family