“Beautiful place, people and location”
Review of Dar Tassa

Dar Tassa
Ranked #6 of 9 Ouirgane B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We went to Dar Tassa for 3 nights. We didn't know what to expect.

When we got there we were welcomed as soon as we entered the village by Mr Mohammed who knew who I was.

We arrived at night and the house was so welcoming, Aisha and Syed really made us feel at home. The food is delicious and homely and you get so much for your money.

Once we woke up in the morning we were confronted by this amazing view over the mountains and had breakfast on the terrace.

There is no TV which is soo nice, we just read and walked. We had a days trek with another Mohammed through the Berber villages. It was so insightful to see how the Berber's live, Mohammed even took us to his house for mint tea!

I would recommend anyone who likes to get away from it all to go here. I am looking forward to going back and doing more treks and to see Aisha.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SinclairLondon
DarTassa, Guest Relations Manager at Dar Tassa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Thank you for your visit and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
we look forward to your next visit .

Reviewed 23 November 2011

This guest house is a charming place with traditional Moroccan decor and serving traditional Moroccan food. The staff are wonderful, so helpful and accommodating. There was only one other couple staying when my boyfriend and I went and that made it all the more intimate and charming. It is smack bang in the middle of the Atlas mountains which provided breath taking views and nice walks. I would recommend this to anyone wanting a quite, slow paced, out of the way, break away.

Room Tip: Ask for an en suite room as not all rooms have en suite and then you have to go outside your room to...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sonia G
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We stayed at Dar Tassa for 3 nights. I was excited that on the brochure it stated that Marrakech was only 40 minutes drive from Dar Tassa. This was soon found out to be a lie, it was more like 1 1/2 hours! In a rickety old taxi with a big crack across the windscreen and a dodgy boot lid!
if you can't speak french your going to have a problem. :-)

When we arrived we had a lovely welcome with Ayisha & Mohammed with milk and dates. I personally don't like milk but it was refreshing after a long journey.

Our room was pretty and comfortable and we liked our private bathroom. The girls made an effort to decorate the room with candles and flowers for our arrival.

Our evening meal was gorgeous as I am a huge fan of Moroccan tagines. The "al fresco" dining was romantic on the 1st night but not every night as we we felt forced to eat outside but it was freezing!! Even after insisting we ate indoors it seemed to irritate Mohammed! I'm not eating my dinner out in the cold! However it has to be said that Fatima is a wonderful cook and she her delightful culinary talents are wasted in that kitchen. she also does beautiful henna tattoo's.

I have to comment on the prices here: they are far to expensive. I get the feeling the owners think that Western people are loaded with cash to justify there costs. 45 euros for a taxi ride to Marrakech is way overpriced! As is the taxi ride to the hotel in Marigha.
We paid for everything extra ontop of our rooms, we didnt get a deal!! 10 euros each for every meal and thats 3 meals a day, considering there were nothing for miles we had to eat something. us charging usfor every bottle of water ontop of that which we had to ask for each time. Oh and the tips all the time ontop of paying for services as well....not impressed. I wouldnt do that in my own country!

I feel like there was pressure to go on excursions etc...walking for miles isnt for me & my husband so we preferred doing our own thing and relaxing. which we feel on that note a certain staff member turned hostile towards us! Its a lively building spectacular views but its just a tourist trap trying to squeeze as much cash out of "foreigners" as the owner can get to keep that wee village going, and for donations to be asked to post for the kids was the final straw!! I am going back to Morocco next year but I wouldn't go out my way to come back out here to the isolated money spinner that is Dar Tassa!

• Stayed: October 2011
DarTassa, Guest Relations Manager at Dar Tassa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2011

Dear Glitterbugem,

Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to write this review.First of all i would like to point out that our website clearly states "Dar Tassa is located just over 1 hour drive from Marrakesh" i 'can only apologise if you have come across a brochure with the incorrect information .furthermore i religiously send all our guests an email with "frequently asked questions" document that answers most of the queries about our location, prices etc .
I am glad you appreciated the warm hospitality our team have to offer and that the milk and dates that represent an old Moroccan custom to wish our guest a peaceful and sweet stay were noted .

I make sure that the food we offer in Dar Tassa is wholesome, authentic and complement the location and the pretty and comfortable rooms as you adequately put it . Fatima is glad to hear you have enjoyed her culinary skills and her Henna art, she loves her work and she is very proud of her kitchen with a view.
Private taxi hire for 1 hour and half journey at 45 euros is reasonable.I will be contacting the taxi company to further investigate the state of the vehicle provided.
I believe you have miss understood our menu pricing. We offer a 3 course meal for 10 euros and not all 3 meals for 10 euros as you put it , one would question how it is possible to provide food with the quality you described for so little .
As for "the extras" we are like most businesses and provide each service with a clearly advertised cost. There are other establishements in the area (few miles away) that provide services and i invite you to compare our prices.
We suggest a range of activities to our guests and we understand that not all of these activities will suit everybody and this is why we offer, for example a stroll down to the village, relaxing on the roof terrace or borrowing a book from our small library and enjoying a read either under the Berber tent or on our cushioned seating area with the landscape views .
We offer both indoor and outdoor seating areas during meal times, the decision is always up to our guests.
Sadly you miss understood our responsible tourism ethos. We encourage our guests to give back to the community .
We urge anyone wanting to give back to the community to do so to through the village association or the school instead of the traditional sweets and money handed to children , as this is proven to encourage begging .
Gladly some of our guests are still helping the local school even after their return, please check our blog.
We are happy to hear you wish to return to Morocco and we wish you an enjoyable stay .

Reviewed 16 November 2011

I do travel quiet a lot and this is the first time I come accross something of this kind. It is really unusual place, the location is perfect on the top of the Atlas mountains, the people are so friendly and the stuffs make you feel like you are home. The food is amazing so rich of flavours, and so delicious. the first place where guests gather together as one single family and eat together and do their activities together too.
There is so much to do, like horse hicking, visiting the local market. or just relax in the lounge watching the mountains.
It was an amazing experience that I would love to repeat as soon as possible.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank KacemA

Dear KacemA,

Thank you for your visit, we are glad you have enjoyed your stay with us and we look forwards to your next visit.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

I still miss this wonderful place and its wonderful people who feel like family.A real home from home with soul food just like your mother would make thanks to the fabulous Fatima who will also decorate your hands and feet with intricate henna designs .For a truly authentic experience of the Berber way of life we felt not only part of the Dar Tassa family but a part of this wonderful village also. I have such fond memories of hanging out in The Bedouin Tent drinking the best mint tea I have ever tasted under a fabulous star filled sky listening to the magical call to prayer and watching the village houses light up one by one in the valley below.
Every single wish was catered for by the wonderful Mohammed and nothing was too much trouble for him from trekking with us to preparing The Mint Tea ceremony and making special herbal tea for me .The other wonderful Mohammed looked after us like we were his children and thanks also to Ayesha for all the laughter and chats about old Berber ways and to Moussa and his friend for lighting up the Bedouin tent like a palace every night .
A magical unforgettable trip ...I hope to return again soon.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carrieeddison

Dear Carrieeddison,

Many thanks for your visit, you have all the team's regards.
We are glad you felt like a member of our family as this is what we strive to achieve, to be a home from home and to be a platform of cultural exchanges.