All reviewspizzacheoah riverthe dragonwhite oaknew ownersriver grillmovie theaterbear creek fallsrushing rivernuggetscabin roomstep back in timetroutget awaybeautiful settingnorth carolinamotorcycle ride
Reviewed 20 October 2017

Perfect setting along the roaring Cheoah River! The historic lodge has been tastefully renovated with every modern convenience, yet retained its historic ambience. Our cabin was so very clean and beautifully decorated. The food at the Tapoco Tavern was delicious and the view is amazing! Would recommend the lodge to all! We will be back soon!!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Chelsea S, Public Relations Manager at Historic Tapoco Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2017

Mayvin,

To begin, thank you. So glad you enjoyed your accommodations and experience at the Tapoco Tavern. Safe travels and we'll see you soon!

Reviewed 20 October 2017

I decided to stay at the Tapoco Lodge as the reviews were great and the location ideal as I was riding the Tail of the Dragon on my motorcycle. The position overlooking the white water river is excellent and it offers a restaurant looking directly down at the water. I arrived about 6.00 pm and the lady on reception asked if I had arrived on a motorcycle. I thought you cannot be serious! I was standing there in a full Dainese Motorcycle suit, boots and a dayglow helmet? She then enquired as to whether I had brought a pet! I admit to saying yes, but that the dog had fallen off at the first bend! Don’t arrive after sunset you will find it difficult to find your cabin, the signage is pathetic and when you are tired the last thing you need is climbing up and down steep poorly lit steps to find your room. In fact if you are physically challenged in anyway, and by that I do not mean disabled, ask for assistance at reception, a 50 lb. suitcase is going to take some heaving up and down some of the steps. Later that night I found a torch hidden right at the back of the desk unit (with nearly flat batteries), which indicates that management recognize that the safety lighting on the grounds is inadequate. Any way I stumbled down the steep paths to the restaurant and ordered a beer which took 15 minutes to arrive along with a simple burger (the beer was excellent). I ordered a second beer while I was still waiting for the food. When that did not arrive and the burger was still awaited 40 minutes after ordering I got up paid for the beer that I drank and left. When I arrived the cabin had a slightly musty smell about it. The caulking around the tub was black the entire length and had been botched up with paint covering what I can only assume was a water splash upstand. The soap tray in the tub was rusty, and all of the chrome fittings were pitted and corroded. This evidences that the cabin gets damp when the heating is left off and accounts for the musty smell. There can be no excuse for renting a room with black mold, if it is unacceptable in your home then it is unacceptable in lodgings and how much does it cost to fix anyway? The desk unit had no electrical output that was not occupied by either the light or television. The heating was adjustable up to 74F or that is what it said. When I arrived it was 60F and AUX heat kicked in to pull it up. Once up AUX heat did not stay and the cold fabric of the cabin sucked the heat out and there is no way the thermostat was correct as when out of bed my skin felt cold. This was not helped by a poor fitting entrance door which allowed a very cold draft in right next to the bed (no seal). Draft excludes cost little or nothing to buy and install. I came with high expectations, it’s a shame because the place has things going for it, management ought to take a closer look at where they could overcome 90% of the problems, but then again in this location with a captive audience why bother.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Chelsea S, Public Relations Manager at Historic Tapoco Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Thank you for your honest feedback re: issues you encountered at our lodge. We apologize for your unpleasant experience. Being made aware of these issues, we will begin addressing them immediately. We wish you would have mentioned something to us during your visit so we could have made things right for you. We do hope you will visit us again and allow us the opportunity to show you just how special Tapoco is. If you’d like to speak with me personally to discuss any other details, please don’t hesitate to reach out 828-498-2800.
Kim V. General Manager

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Historic Tapoco Lodge has become our favorite place to stay on the Smokey's. The staff (management, cooks, grounds keepers, cooks, maids) worked so hard out to make sure our stay was perfect in every way. The Baileys (owners) are all to be commended. Dustin Crowe makes the best pizza in the area, highly recommended. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Royce, thank you so much for your very kind review. It's a pleasure to host you all and we look forward to doing so many times more. Safe travels and we'll see you next time.

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed in the Lodge for 2 nights and loved it. Clean and well restored property. Clearly a significant amount of money has been spent recently on the outside areas by the river. Lots of hiking trails on property. S'mores each night by the outside fire. Nice meals on the patio. Friendly staff. We will be returning for sure.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Chelsea S, Public Relations Manager at Historic Tapoco Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Bret, thank you so much for sharing your experience. We look forward to seeing you back at the lodge again soon. Safe travels and we'll see you next time.

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

My wife and I just retuned home from two days at Tapoco. We cannot say enough about the wonderful atmosphere, accommodations, staff, and lodge managers/owners. A beautiful setting on the Ceoah. The Rhododendron suite is fabulous. If you want a great experience and want to relax, refresh, and renew then the Tapoco is perfect. We plan to go back.

Richard and Peggy

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Richard, thank you so much for your kind review. So glad you enjoyed your stay in the Rhododendron suite and your overall experience. We hope to welcome you back again soon.