My review is long, but brutally honest…
The Tapoco Lodge is an amazing and beautiful location that is at least 20 minutes outside of any town. You come up on the property around a sharp curb and it sits just on edge of the river. Once you pull in, the grounds are well maintained and appointed for the season. The lodge has been meticulously updated to a more modern version of its original self and holds interesting history of the area. The Lodge, dining areas, and rooms all have quaint attention to detail. The little things like high-end linens and toiletries, made it seem like a found gem.
We stayed two nights and appreciated coming back from a day of hiking to the kind and warm staff, the amazing views, and listening to the river from the beautiful patio and from our room. It was a central location for the hikes we had planned. We had breakfast and dinner on property. The food was great, and the Lodge offered one of the few places in the county to have a glass of wine, beer, or mixed drink (as it is a dry county). The owners, Kevin and Connie, are quick to share that they only recently took over from previous partners and most of the staff are also new to the property.
However, it becomes clear that the owners are completely overwhelmed. They were both busy waiting tables through the breakfast and dinner service. It was not unusual to hear the owners and mgmt. overtly and openly complain among themselves and to customers about the quality of staff, and all within ear shot of the staff themselves (at one point we witnessed a waitress quietly gather her personal things and literally walk out, quitting on the spot). We wondered, since Kevin and Connie are so overwhelmed, how will they be able to maintain the detail, ambiance, and lovely staff of the Lodge, as that is what makes it so special. It seemed that no one on-site is experienced in actually running a boutique Lodge. There is a need for talented management with the skill and experience in the operations of running a boutique Lodge, and who can train and develop the current, available, and potentially talented staff, or that amazing quaintness will soon be lost.
Go, as it is beautiful spot in the world and the staff are amazing…
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched on the banks of the world famous Cheoah River, the Historic Tapoco Lodge is home to 7 lodge rooms, 2 lodge suites, and 18 guest cabin rooms. With miles of private hiking trails, nightly campfires, and an onsite movie theater, you won't soon wish to leave. Our in-house Tapoco Tavern combines the very best of classic pizzeria and all American flavors with a riverside view and environment unmatched in all of Western Carolina. Order up a brick oven pizza for the family or indulge in the house favorite, "The Dam Drink" from our full-service bar. From steaks, burgers, salads, hummus, and local Carolina Mountain trout, there's something for everyone. Come explore Western Carolina and relax with us at the Historic Tapoco Lodge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Historic Tapoco Lodge Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Historic Tapoco Hotel Robbinsville
- Tapoco Hotel Robbinsville