USD 131
USD 67
USD 65
The Swan at Streatley(Streatley-on-Thames)
USD 106
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 122/night.

USD 62
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 83/night.

Abbey House Hotel(Reading)(Great Value!)
USD 86
USD 54
Travelodge
USD 86
USD 79
Hotels.com
Travelodge Reading M4 Westbound(Burghfield)(Great Value!)
Herons Farm B&B(Pangbourne)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfull english breakfastcomfortable mattresspassing trainslick of paintvery pleasant stayfamily roomthames
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

This old coaching Inn is now part of the Best Western chain.
Reception was closed when I arrived, not a good start, but a quick phonecall brought the receptionist. She was friendly, helpful and efficient .
My room was adequate, warm, clean and well equipped. New furnishings were let down by an old grubby chair.
The bathroom was good with lots of hot water.
I was well off the road but the downside was noise from the adjacent railway line.
There were few trains in the night and I slept well. Others might not so it would be wise to ask for room further to the front.
Breakfast was basic. Limited cereals. Though the cooked plate was excellent. I was the only one eating.
The dining room was like a cafe.
This hotel needs care and attention, they have started but a long way to go.
It was expensive for what was on offer.
So not a disaster as others have experienced but only good for one night if needs must.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Prudol
Georgeh0tel, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to comment.
We are now a family owned business. the last two owners were also family owned, and I think the days of Best Western were quite some time ago. The good old internet still has traces from the old days of Best Western.
We do not have a 24 hour attendance at the desk, but staff are around when needed. In a small business, there are plenty of other things to do and so it is true that there will be less staff visibility at the desk itself.
Sadly, not much we can do about the nearby train line.
We are very competitive, in terms of price, but the costs are very high in the area.
Once again, thanks for your observations.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

This is the single worst hotel experience of my entire life. Every aspect fails to meet basic requirements of service, cleanliness, comfort and safety.
Decoration gives the impression of a gateway to hell, the walls are wafer thin so I was disturbed by other guests movements (and snoring), it’s right by the high speed train line with inadequate sound proofing, the heating system was stuck on high and the internal phone wasn’t working in my room.
Make every effort to stay elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2018

On arrival at the tired looking George hotel a very pleasent lady checked me in and then requested I paid £100 as a deposit, I had prepaid for my room and breakfast ( wish I had avoided the terrible cheap breakfast) so wondered why a deposit was needed, you would struggle to do £100 pounds worth of damage to the very dated room and furniture I stayed in !! This money is now pending to come out of my account for up to seven days, why ?? Although very central with nice staff who are clearly use to complaints I would not recommend the George.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Georgeh0tel, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

We remember well that you were upset about the pre-authorisation. This was designed to make it easy for guests that might want to use the bar and catering. We take no money at all, only charge what is used. The practice of pre-authorisation is very common in hotels and surprising that you have not come across this before. To say that £100 damage cannot be caused in a room. A TV, tea/ coffee facilities, shower screen, sink, bath, hot iron on the carpet..... is just plain silly and unreasonable. We accept the point you make about a pre-authorisation (again, designed to help guests), the rest is unreasonable.
The 'cheap' breakfast, as you describe it, is;
unlimited tea/coffee, unlimited toast/jam marmalade, cereal (muesli or cornflakes) and orange juice. then, cooked full English breakfast includes, bacon, hash brown, sausage, beans,mushrooms, tomato, egg (fried, poached or scrambled). Served at your table, hot and made to your order. At £8, we would describe as superb value, not 'cheap' in the nasty terms described by you.
We accept valid criticisms and continue our effort to improve. We have stopped encouraging the pre-authorisations. The rest of what you have said is just plain vindictive, and delivered as you promised.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Will keep my review short:

1 . The owner who is also a reception got really crossed with me as I complained to his wife that there was no hot water in my room. Instead of solving the problem, he asked me to leave the motel if I wasn't happy. As I was in hurry for a meeting I declined to leave and kindly asked him to fix the hot water in my room while I was out.

2. My rooms clean but very run down.

3. The room rate is overpriced for what it is and I said to the owner that they should come to Dubai where I live and see how the hotel this type should be like for what they are charging . Response was basically " we are what we are if you don't like us leave ".

4. Breakfast was ok .

Customer service is non-existent.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
georgehotelrg8, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2018

Firstly, I do apologise at it seems this situation could have been handled better. Unfortunately during your stay, the team was under a lot of pressure and as GM I am the person who would have been helping with your concerns but was very ill and off work. It does seem that from your feedback and further investigation, there really was little more we could have done to please you. Hence you were offered the refund, but this should always be an absolute last resort.

I'm afraid that comparing us to what I presume would be a national or even international hotel company based in an entirely different economic environment is simply unreasonable. Our prices for the area are in fact very reasonable, given the local economy, transport links to Oxford and London and the fact that this is an independently run business. The owner's wife actually commented that she had thought she had quite a pleasant conversation with yourself about your own travel experiences. It is nice to hear about improvements within our reach that we can make. I believe the response you were given was intended to suggest that perhaps you would prefer a hotel belonging to a chain. We understand that accommodation needs differ from person to person, and perhaps ours on this occasion did not meet your expectations.

This said, I appreciate that your experience fell well below our usual high standards and for this I sincerely apologise. We have discovered that it takes a little longer than ideal for hot water to come through to some rooms, and we are working very hard to resolve this issue. In the meantime we have plans in place to help ensure that customers are not affected.

We will take on board your comments for training and future guests. Apologies for such a delayed response, our account was not active for some time. We wish you the best on your future trips, wherever you choose to stay.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

The photos speak for themselves. We stayed for one night. This wasn't a particularly cheap hotel but should have been. The furniture was dated, ripped, broken, the bathroom also dated and visibly dirty, with a shower that was no more than a sprinkling. Breakfast was shockingly bad. The coffee machine had broken so no coffee was on offer, only instant coffee. There were only two types of cereal, Alpen and Cornflakes, and the milk was off. The bread on offer for toast was cheap sliced white or brown. It took forever to check out too, when all we wanted was to get out of the awful place.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

I am sorry your experience was so disappointing. I have taken over as GM in the last few months and I can assure you that we have made significant improvements already to both the general upkeep and service provided. In fact we have new kitchen staff and our meals, breakfast and dinners are very popular with guests. At the price offered, with regular coffee, a full English breakfast is certainly considered very good value for money for most of our guests. Installing a new coffee machine would force us to increase our prices a lot more than we feel is reasonable. We actually pride ourselves on affordability and within the local area, we are actually not that expensive. I cannot comment on the time of your stay, but I assure you my current team work very hard to keep up a high standard of cleanliness and presentation. If you would like to share any more details about your stay, we would be happy to hear from you. Just drop us an email at hello@georgehotelpangbourne.com. Many thanks.