“Mixed feelings”
Review of Sand Dollar Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Sand Dollar Motel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed in Sand Dollar Cottage #1. I spend every 4th of July week in Ocracoke. After camping for many years, my sisters and I decided to get a cottage. I brought my four year old granddaughter with me. We were enjoying the pool, but the problem was the friend that lives with the manager. He likes to lay out at the pool every day in a thong. Yes, he wore his swim trunks to the pool and dropped his trunks right in front of my granddaughter. My granddaughter stated, "What in the world is he doing?" We left the pool! My sister talked to the manager and he didn't seem to think this was serious at all. This man is a serious liability to this motel! I overheard him say that he likes to have the pool to himself. Well, he gets that because he chases everyone out of the pool. I saw others leave the pool also. Then there was also an issue about no outdoor trash can. We were told to leave the trash on the screen porch and the maids would get it. Every time we took out the kitchen trash bag, we had to walk over to the office and request for the trash to be removed. Who wants to sit on a porch swing with a bag of garbage on the porch. Don't leave the trash outside because the cats will get into it! Then there was an issue with the water pressure in the morning. Don't take a shower when they are cleaning the pool because the house and pool are on the same water system. There will be no water pressure to get the soap out of your hair. Just look out the bathroom window and wait for them to finish cleaning the pool before getting in the shower. The toilet overflowed one day because there wasn't enough water pressure to flush it and when it did fill up, it overflowed after too many jiggles of the handle. One night there was a huge waterbug crawling on the wall in the living room. I stayed up until I killed it. Fortunately, we did not see anymore. The mattress I slept on was very uncomfortable. I always bring my own pillow, so that was not an issue for me. The couch has a pull out bed but when I pulled it out, it did not look that clean inside and there were no linens on it, so I didn't try it. I was very thankful that I did not camp this year during a very powerful storm. The house kept us safe and we were thankful to have a roof over our heads. I liked having a kitchen during our stay. The tv's were old, but functional. I know I sound like I am complaining, but these are things that could easily be fixed! I would have been willing to rebook every year. I have already booked elsewhere for next year. They could have had my business every year since I go to Ocracoke several times a year. Ocracoke Island is my happy place and I absolutely love the solitude and beauty of this magical place. The manager was friendly and helpful but not enough to make the g/string man keep his swim trunks on! It is possible to remedy these issues but the Sand Dollar needs to make a few changes. It's not a bad little place, but if they want guests to return and rebook for the next year, they need to ask and listen to their guests' experiences.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank SeaFan93

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2012

On our most recent trip to Ocracoke, we spent a week in the Sand Dollar Suite- it was PERFECT! Roughly the size of a (fairly spacious) one bedroom apartment. The fenced in porch provided the privacy we love so much (and gives extra 'living space')and the pool was just a few steps outside our door. Porch was perfect for storing the inflatable pool floaties and toys, too! Roger was a fantastic host and tended to the few problems we had immediately. The Suite now has a flat screen tv (The room tv was broken when we got in and they got us a new one so if you stay here- you're welcome :) lol ) not much channel selection (pretty basic cable) - good enough for hubby combined with the internet connection (FYI- the best signal is at the kitchen table in the chair by the buffet or at the end by the butcher block). The recliner usually had a good signal but not always lol. (hubby is disabled so needs other entertainment as oftentimes he is not well enough to go out with us, or there are accessibility issues)

The kitchen has the standard pots/pans/ utensils/ dishes you would expect to find in a kitchen (including a dishwasher), and we cooked most of our meals in our room. Everything worked fine! the kitchen counters are really .... high. I'm short (LOL) but... they are tall! LOL I simply used the big wooden butchers block thing (at a normal height!) for all my food prepping and serving - not a big deal at all. I meant to ask why they were so high but I forgot. I would think theres a reason (storm flooding, maybe)? No biggie, either way....

Housekeeping comes daily.

The suite has one bedroom with a king sized bed and a full sized sleeper sofa in the living room - worked great for us and the kids! The bed is firm and not terribly thick, but our bed at home is HORRIBLE (lol) so it felt good to us! I guess if you're used to a really nice mattress it would be worse. At home my back kills me every morning from my bed - not one back ache this past week (oh and it was so nice!)

The rooms are not fancy- nothing on the island is - but for clean, cozy, homey and affordable accommodations- it just can't be beat! This is where we have stayed for years, and where we will continue to stay!!!!

Thanks for a great vacation, Roger & staff!

-Debbie, Tosh & kids

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hippybeachchick
Newport, NC
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed in Room 4 upstairs with 1 child and another couple. The wall between 2 rooms had been opened up to make 1 room. It had 3 double beds and 2 full baths. It was very nice. The only disappointment was the beds being hard as a brick bat and the pillows were too small. Bring a mattress topper and your own pillows and you will be set.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Trophy98
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Ocracoke Village offers a wide variety of accomodations. The Sand Dollar was the perfect choice for us. The price was very affordable leaving more in the budget for food and shopping.The room was clean and comfortable. The owner was friendly and helpful but not intrusive. The location was off the beaten path and was quiet and peaceful. Just around the corner was a very reasonably priced restaurant with great food, the Pony Island Restaurant.

Room Tip: There are cottages available as well as rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Limpett2011
Westerville, Ohio
Reviewed 8 March 2012

The Sand Dollar Motel is one of the best kept secrets on the Outer Banks. . The rooms are comfortable, reasonably priced, and a short walk or bike ride to anywhere. The owners do their best to make you feel welcome and your stay enjoyable. Although we have visited Ocracoke as a day trip from the main island for more than twenty years, we have been staying at the Sand Dollar for the last five summers; we now think of it as "Home."

Room Tip: Book your stay early!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Marcia L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
29.6 km away
Hatteras Sands Campground
#10 of 16 in Hatteras Island
28.9 km away
Hatteras Harbor Marina and Motel

Been to Sand Dollar Motel? Share your experiences!