“Great Place to Stay”
Review of Crews Inn B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Crews Inn B&B
Ranked #5 of 7 Ocracoke B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I love the Crews Inn, it's such a beautiful old house on such a wonderful island! I've stayed at the Crews Inn twice. Once with a friend and once with my husband (then boyfriend). The first trip, we stayed in the Captain's Quarters, which is the attic. It was pretty spacious but my biggest thing was that there were HUGE spiders up there & my friend spent most of our trip listening to me scream in terror & killing spiders. I wouldn't even sleep under the covers because I was terrified a spider would be in the sheets. However, it had it's own bathroom and separate entrance, which was nice since we came home late a lot. It also had seperate ait conditioning which was nice since I like it frosty!
The second time we stayed, we stayed in a regular room downstairs & there were no spiders! The room was also pretty spacious and had its own bathroom (there are only 2 rooms that have a private bathroom), it was close to everything & we walked everywhere! The old lady that runs it was super sweet and very accomadating.
I would definitely stay here again, very quaint and peaceful, can't beat it for the price!

Room Tip: Choose the master bedroom because it is downstairs and has its own bathroom!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 August 2011

Mixed feelings about this one.

On arrival there was just a notice on the board telling us where our room was and a book in the room itself with more instructions. I didn’t mind this at all as everything was clear and precise.

It was, however, one of the hottest weekends of the year so far when we arrived and although all the windows were open and a fan running in our room, the air conditioning was not on and the room was extremely hot and stifling. We closed all the windows, lowered the blinds and turned on the air conditioning immediately, but it was many more hours before the room was even comfortable in temperature.

As to the room itself (The Captains Quarters) – unlike one of the other reviewers I felt the pictures on the website were most flattering, but everything was clean so not too much to complain about I suppose (other than the temperature!!). The little deck outside the room and private entrance were particularly nice.

As others have noted there are no room keys and you have to leave your room unlocked when leaving, which is a little unnerving, although all our belongings were safe tor the duration of our trip.

Breakfast was coffee, juice, homemade granola (very nice) and homemade bread, with a few additional extras, although if everyone came down at once as they did on our last day it made the kitchen area rather crowded and somewhat chaotic.

I'd probably sum the place up by saying if you don't mind things being a little rough and ready you'll be fine here, and the prices are probably the lowest in Ocracoke as far as I could tell - so you can't really complain at that!

If you're visiting in Summer bring your mosquito repellant!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PooksNorthCarolina
Reviewed 21 June 2011

When I arrived there was no one there to greet us. My name was on a card tacked to a cork board to welcome us. I didn't see anyone until the next morning. Breakfast was unedible. No TV. Full size bed when I'm used to a king. Window unit A/C that rattled the window pane all night. Noisy guests upstairs that came in in the middle of the night banging around.

All around terrible stay.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cofccougar
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I spent a couple of nights with my two teenage daughters at this B & B, and we loved it. We stayed in the upstairs room which is much nicer than shown on their website. The room ran the whole length of the house with a bed area on each end of the room, which provided a nice little separation (although no wall between them).

In between the two rooms was the staircase going down to the rest of the house and a nice little sitting area with two comfy chairs, also a large bathroom with great claw foot tub (with shower). It also had an outdoor entrance which was nice.

We peeked in all the rooms while we there and loved the decorating. Nice colors and nice quilts. Very cozy. All the other rooms were empty when we were there as we were early in the season during the week, so we had the place to ourselves which was fun.

The breakfast was basic as noted by other reviewers, but we like a simple breakfast so we were happy. The homemade granola was wonderful plus there were grapes, cereal, and breadmaker machine bread and jam.

My only complaint was that I wasn't crazy about my sheets (I slept on the single bed upstairs) and pillow case. I know that's a little picky, but I like a smoother pillow case. The last day of our stay I noticed there was a linen closet a floor below us and I could have traded it for a smoother pillow case.

The porch of this place is also wonderful. We had breakfast every morning on a table in the screened in porch. It's a short walk to town if you take the short-cut through the backyard.

I would definitely stay here again and also come back to this island again. We loved the little town and the beaches. (Our best meal, by the way, was pad thai at the takeout thai place which we ate on a picnic table overlooking the harbor.)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2011

I have had the pleasure of staying here many times over the last several years and always feel at home. If you are looking for upscale, high end accomodations...this is not the place for you. If you seek perfection in every thing you look at; this is not the place for you. If you must have a full breakfast, again...this is not the place for you. If you come to this special place with just expecting something basic, simple and uncomplicated with rocking chairs on the old porch, creaky steps and a perfect location for just relaxing with no other expectations...this will be the perfect place for you. I appreciate this B&B...not for what others expect, but what those who *get it* appreciate. Ocracoke is not for everyone...and for that...I am sincerely grateful. Thanks Crews Inn...for just being there for those of us who *get it* We don't need you to be like everything else...just a place to call home for a few days. Thanks!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank iloveocracoke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
28.6 km away
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#8 of 16 in Hatteras Island

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Ocracoke

Been to Crews Inn B&B? Share your experiences!