Tar Heel Motel
TripAdvisor
USD 124*
RodewayInn
USD 283*
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront(Nags Head)(Great Value!)
USD 110*
USD 85*
USD 145*
USD 162*
Owens' Motel(Nags Head)
USD 70*
  • Beachfront
Surf Side Hotel(Nags Head)(Great Value!)
USD 135*
Hotels.com
Blue Heron Motel(Nags Head)
All reviewsnice poolwalking distancebeach accessthe outer banksroom was cleanold schoolstay there againrefrigerator and microwavewater pressureobxamenitieshamptonratespierocean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 July 2011

After reading what everybody said about the Tar Heel Motel, my wife and I stayed there for the second time and everything was GREAT! Everyone was friendly including the housekeeping staff. It was neat and clean. We saw NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. They are also Biker friendly. I recommend you give them a try and see for yourself.

The Blankenship's

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flinter1955
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Taking a quick glance on the outside, it doesn't look all that bad. But from the moment we turned the lock with the old key, stepped into the room and took a deep breath, we knew we had made a BIG mistake. The room smellled dirty,musty and old, with just a hint of cheap air freshener, to top it off. It must be a pet friendly place, since my wife and I spent the first hour swatting flies. The rooms has seen very little in the way of renovations since it was built 50 some odd years ago. The bathroom fixtures were worn out, with rust in both sink and tub. While the room and bed sheets seem to be clean, the mattress and pillows stunk! All the furniture was old, cheap and tacky. On the brighter side, the A/C was newer and worked well. We had planned to spend 3 nights here, but checked out the next morning, checked into another hotel, and took a shower, then washed all our clothes. Yes, the room rate is cheaper than most Outer Banks lodging, but life is too short to spend any money on a dump like this! If you can't afford to pay more for lodging, bring a tent and camp out of the beach..The beach smells better!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kevin1957
Reviewed 27 August 2010

I decided VERY last minute to take my 2 youngest children for a short beach vacation before the start of school, and most places I called for room availability laughed at me. After all, it is the Outer Banks, during "season" , including weekend nights. All other vacancies on the OBX were $150-$320 per night. Way out of our range. I had never heard of or visited the Tar Heel Motel, but they were able to accommodate us, and for only $85 a night. Upon calling the motel back the next day (just 3 days before check in) to request an additional night's stay, they were able to shuffle things around to make room for us for the additional night. I'm no idiot, and for $85/night, I'm not expecting the Ritz Carlton! If you are, then don't go to the Tar Heel, or you will be sorely disappointed. All I wanted was a clean room, and a cold air conditioner- everything after that is just a bonus! I was pleasantly surprised. Our room and bathroom were beyond clean. Beds were comfortable. Air conditioner was awesome. Housekeeping staff was incredible. Pool area was clean and well kept. Location is top-notch. Beach access just across the street, the Dunes restaurant practically in the back yard, and tons of shopping and restaurants just a short drive away. The office staff were pleasant and helpful whenever I needed directions to places at the beach. Check in and check out were quick and simple. Yes, the motel is older and has the expected flaws that go with age. Yes, I probably would have decorated differently. No, there wasn't a phone, hairdryer or coffee pot in our room; but for the rate I was paying, I didn't expect those things. After all, who doesn't have their own cell phone with them- plus, I like my hairdryer better than a hotel's anyway! The other guests were friendly and with plenty of outside seating near the rooms and at the poolside, it provided a great opportunity to meet others and enjoy being outdoors at the OBX. Yes, this was our families first stay here, but it is not our last. We will certainly return to the Tar Heel Motel, as often as our schedule allows.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank momof3innc
Reviewed 4 August 2010

The first thing you notice when you walk into your room at the Tar Heel will be the smell! The room had a weird odor to it and it was not pleasent. Next there is mold/rust in the bathroom on the fixtures. I was afraid to walk on the bathroom floor barefoot just because it didn't feel clean to me in there. The shower is extremley small so if you are a lady looking to shave her legs or have room to put your shampoo look elsewhere. Not to mention the water pressure was horrible along with I think I only got 1 hot shower my entire 5 day stay. The bed was very hard and it probably would have been more comfortable sleeping on the floor if I trusted the floor to be clean enough which I didn't. A blanket wasn't even provided for our bed just a thin scratchy cover. Overall I guess you get what you pay for. For only 85.00 a night I clearly didn't expect it to be very nice. The man running the desk suggested the Dunes to eat at...I however do not! The location was nice though for the price it is right across the street from the beach and that is what we really came for anyways.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachhun
Reviewed 2 January 2010

On a two week trip, the Tar Heel Motel was the oldest, most dated, most expensive motel in which we stayed. However, prices along the outer banks are quite high. The motel is across the street from some stairs that take you to the beach, so the location is wonderful. The room looks about the same as it probably did in 1965. It was clean, but certainly dated. It worked for us, but it is far from plush. Still I'd stay there again. Everything else is $150 or more a night.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family