“Good location”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Amissville, Virginia
“Good location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

I was passing threw Nags Head and need a cheep room for just one night , This was a good choice most places you need to stay 2 night on week end, There was no problem here. Although an older place it is well kept . I liked the lay out of the property you can park you vehicle right out side your door, so unloading was very easy .

I was there in October and found no smells like others have reported only clean comfortable accommodations. There is a good restaurant right next door and sever other in walking distance, also a short walk to Jennets fishing pier and public access to the beach is just across the street .

All in all it worked well for me and will probably come back again..

If you have business in Manteo or going fishing out of Pirates Cove marina this location is good you are just a block from Whale Bone junction , Also there is an Outlet Mall Across the highway too, also in walking distance

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank fish_oinc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sandyville, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

After reading what everybody said about the Tar Heel Motel, my wife and I stayed there for the second time and everything was GREAT! Everyone was friendly including the housekeeping staff. It was neat and clean. We saw NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. They are also Biker friendly. I recommend you give them a try and see for yourself.

The Blankenship's

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flinter1955
Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

Taking a quick glance on the outside, it doesn't look all that bad. But from the moment we turned the lock with the old key, stepped into the room and took a deep breath, we knew we had made a BIG mistake. The room smellled dirty,musty and old, with just a hint of cheap air freshener, to top it off. It must be a pet friendly place, since my wife and I spent the first hour swatting flies. The rooms has seen very little in the way of renovations since it was built 50 some odd years ago. The bathroom fixtures were worn out, with rust in both sink and tub. While the room and bed sheets seem to be clean, the mattress and pillows stunk! All the furniture was old, cheap and tacky. On the brighter side, the A/C was newer and worked well. We had planned to spend 3 nights here, but checked out the next morning, checked into another hotel, and took a shower, then washed all our clothes. Yes, the room rate is cheaper than most Outer Banks lodging, but life is too short to spend any money on a dump like this! If you can't afford to pay more for lodging, bring a tent and camp out of the beach..The beach smells better!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kevin1957

Travellers are raving about these Nags Head hotels

Hertford, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

I decided VERY last minute to take my 2 youngest children for a short beach vacation before the start of school, and most places I called for room availability laughed at me. After all, it is the Outer Banks, during "season" , including weekend nights. All other vacancies on the OBX were $150-$320 per night. Way out of our range. I had never heard of or visited the Tar Heel Motel, but they were able to accommodate us, and for only $85 a night. Upon calling the motel back the next day (just 3 days before check in) to request an additional night's stay, they were able to shuffle things around to make room for us for the additional night. I'm no idiot, and for $85/night, I'm not expecting the Ritz Carlton! If you are, then don't go to the Tar Heel, or you will be sorely disappointed. All I wanted was a clean room, and a cold air conditioner- everything after that is just a bonus! I was pleasantly surprised. Our room and bathroom were beyond clean. Beds were comfortable. Air conditioner was awesome. Housekeeping staff was incredible. Pool area was clean and well kept. Location is top-notch. Beach access just across the street, the Dunes restaurant practically in the back yard, and tons of shopping and restaurants just a short drive away. The office staff were pleasant and helpful whenever I needed directions to places at the beach. Check in and check out were quick and simple. Yes, the motel is older and has the expected flaws that go with age. Yes, I probably would have decorated differently. No, there wasn't a phone, hairdryer or coffee pot in our room; but for the rate I was paying, I didn't expect those things. After all, who doesn't have their own cell phone with them- plus, I like my hairdryer better than a hotel's anyway! The other guests were friendly and with plenty of outside seating near the rooms and at the poolside, it provided a great opportunity to meet others and enjoy being outdoors at the OBX. Yes, this was our families first stay here, but it is not our last. We will certainly return to the Tar Heel Motel, as often as our schedule allows.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank momof3innc
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

The first thing you notice when you walk into your room at the Tar Heel will be the smell! The room had a weird odor to it and it was not pleasent. Next there is mold/rust in the bathroom on the fixtures. I was afraid to walk on the bathroom floor barefoot just because it didn't feel clean to me in there. The shower is extremley small so if you are a lady looking to shave her legs or have room to put your shampoo look elsewhere. Not to mention the water pressure was horrible along with I think I only got 1 hot shower my entire 5 day stay. The bed was very hard and it probably would have been more comfortable sleeping on the floor if I trusted the floor to be clean enough which I didn't. A blanket wasn't even provided for our bed just a thin scratchy cover. Overall I guess you get what you pay for. For only 85.00 a night I clearly didn't expect it to be very nice. The man running the desk suggested the Dunes to eat at...I however do not! The location was nice though for the price it is right across the street from the beach and that is what we really came for anyways.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Owens' Motel
#13 of 13 in Nags Head
3.7 km away
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront

Been to Tar Heel Motel? Share your experiences!