“This place is Romantic...”
Review of Tale of The Whale

Tale of The Whale
Ranked #8 of 91 Restaurants in Nags Head
Price range: USD 18 - USD 40
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, View, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated for 38 years, we serve the finest and freshest local seafood, choice steaks, salads, pastas, chicken and more. We pay attention to every detail to ensure your meal is memorable and delicious! Enjoy casual dining overlooking the Roanoke Sound, and live music (in season) in our waterfront gazebo. Come early and enjoy your favorite cocktail outdoors overlooking the water, or in our indoor bar. We offer an extensive wine list, a lighter fare menu, childrens’ menu and more. We welcome children, families and parties of all sizes, and offer comfortable booths for a romantic dinner for two. We look forward to serving you!
Reviewed 18 February 2016

My husband and I ate here with our tow children. The service was great and the food was delicious.... And the view from our table of the sun setting over the water was beautiful.

Date of visit: July 2015

Reviewed 6 January 2016

This restaurant had great, fresh food and the service was great. I would recommend anything with sea food.

Date of visit: February 2015
Reviewed 23 December 2015

We have visited this restaurant several times over the years and have had a great experience every time. Getting there early for the early bird specials will help you price wise. We have done both. The last time we went, there was about a 45 minute wait. However they had live, outdoor music and a bar where we could order any drink (alcoholic and non alcoholic) selection. They have a boardwalk with a gazebo at the end where the live music was set up. Our 2 boys had no problem waiting on our table with great music playing and some soda to drink. Again the food was amazing. We had lobster, steak, shrimp and fish. Everything was fresh, cooked properly and delicious. The ambiance inside is very lovely. Great views of the water while eating. Also my husband is in a wheelchair and they are wheelchair accessible. So are the bathrooms.

Date of visit: June 2015
1  Thank Ginger G
Reviewed 8 November 2015 via mobile

My family and I have been frequenting this establishment for over 30 years on our family vacations. Despite the rising prices and declining food quality, we continued to return for a few special menus items. Unfortunately, after this year's experience with the assistant manager, we will never return.
We had called ahead to make reservations for 9 people and a 9 month old baby. On the phone we were told a 1 hour wait. No problem. When we arrived at the restaurant, we were told by the manager that it would only be 30 minutes. Great! No problem. 30 minutes passes and no table. After nearly an hour (now 1 hour 30 min since we called originally) we check on how much longer the table will be. The assistant manager (apparently the step son of the manager) says we need to be patient because there are several big parties. My mother explained that we had been patient and what we were told when we called and when we arrived at the restaurant and that we were inquiring because we had a baby. His response was "well I don't know anything about that". When my mom asked him to get the manager he responded "no, I'm not going to do that". He was rude, not customer oriented and a disgrace of a manager. At this time, a hostess called us for a table. When we came inside, he was speaking quite rude to my mother. I said "sir, there's no need to be unprofessional or speak to someone like that". His response to me was "well you don't have to eat here, you all can leave for all I care. In fact, maybe it's best". We responded that we had been waiting, had a hungry baby and would be having our dinner. We had mediocre food, but our waitress was wonderful. She should be managing, not this guy. Had we not had a small child, my vote would have been to leave. We have been customers for 30 years and will NEVER return to such an inhospitable, rudely managed restaurant. One person's attitude just lost a loyal family of customers.

Date of visit: August 2015
17  Thank MSOBX15
Reviewed 28 October 2015

First Visit to the Area and We Asked our B&B on Roanoke Island for dinner suggestions. Tale of The Whale was on their short list and we now know why. We had their flounder and duo choice (can order two out of about four choices) entrees and while pricey, we could have found fresher and tastier seafood than right here! They also advertise an early bird discount (arrive before 6PM) of 20% and that helped the total bill. Our server was Matt H and he was very knowledgeable about the food choices, so made the total experience one of our most memorable of our visit to the OBX!

Date of visit: October 2015