“Good casual dining at a great price”
Review of Red Drum Taphouse

Red Drum Taphouse
Ranked #19 of 85 Restaurants in Nags Head
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Takeout
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We ate here our first meal at the Outer Banks. We were tired and worn, but the food was good, fun pub atmosphere, great steamed shrimp. Try the carolina style chowder, not cream based, but very good.

There are newer reviews for Red Drum Taphouse

Reviewed 22 September 2012

We went for a early dinner at 5pm. They had any kind of beer you could want on tap. I ordered the crab cakes and they were fabulous. As we were leaving around 6pm the crowds were coming in. If you dont go early you may have to wait for a table. One of the best resturants on the beach IMO.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

I had a mixed experience last year, but I wanted to give this place another chance since I felt like they may have had an off-day. I'm glad I went back.

They continue to have roughly 20 craft beers on tap, which is amongst the best beer selection in the Outer Banks. Their food is mainly bar food with an interesting/upscale twist. The tuna burrito is excellent--the fresh fish combined with their unique salsa (sundried tomato salsa?) is a homerun. The tuna reuben sandwich is a great twist on a classic bar offering and was also excellent.

The problem I encountered on my previous trip was that all of the food was over-salted. I was relieved to see that this was not the case this time. We actually went back again later in the week to make sure that things were still good. ;)

I did not try the ribs again this time, but I've come to the conclusion that when you're in the Outer Banks you should try to order something with fresh fish every chance you get.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

This is nothing more than a bar. I ordered a ribeye steak medium rare. When I got it there were huge burn crustation marks on it...not grill marks, broil burns. They don't carry Heinz 57, not a drop in the establishment. I ordered a side salad at $7.00 a crack. My husband ordered their 'famous' ribs. Ha! What a joke. They were the smallest rack of ribs I had ever seen. This place is just another drinking establishment, nothing more. And the price of the food is outrageous. I recommend "Henry's Restaurant", now that's good food for the money. Our ticket was 60.00 dollars for a scorched ribeye and boxed mashed potatoes, and an order of ribs. Oh, yeah I forgot...my husband had a glass of beer. You decide.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

We had lunch at the Red Drum today and very much enjoyed it. I had the crab cake sandwich and it was huge and very tasty. My husband had the tuna burrito which was incredibly good. We split a small steamed clam order, which was ok but tasted like they hadn't been thoroughly rinsed first. Great craft beer selection on draft. I would defiantly go back.