“Still the Grande Dame of Nags Head dining”
Review of Owens' Restaurant

Owens' Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 91 Restaurants in Nags Head
Price range: USD 15 - USD 40
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Since 1946, four generations of locals and visitors have experienced the famous food and hospitality of the Owens and Shannon families.We are celebrating 69 years in business, in the same location, making us the oldest restaurant in the state of North Carolina! Owens Restaurant serves classic Southern coastal cuisine. We specialize in fresh and local seafood from North Carolina waters, exceptional Prime Western beef, and flavorful pastas. Our customers marvel at our collection of museum quality artifacts dedicated to the maritime history of the Outer Banks. Come see us for delicious food, exceptional service and warm Southern hospitality!
Reviewed 7 November 2018

My first dinner at Owens's was in 1981 and over the intervening years I've had perhaps two dozen dinners at Owens's. The most recent was three weeks ago when my husband and I were here for a late autumn, off-season beach break. I'm very happy to say that Owens's is not only what it's always been, it's still as good as it's always been. The preliminaries were the customary spreadable cheese and basket of crackers and melbas and then the justly-famous hush puppies with fresh butter. Our entrees were the fried oysters and glazed salmon. My husband was happy with his salmon and I was in oyster heaven with the excellent--perfect, really--fried oysters. The service was equally good--prompt, knowledgeable, and attentive without being intrusive. We had the 10-layer cake for dessert because I wanted to try this regional specialty and knew this would be a good specimen. It was quite good, but a little sweeter than either of us prefer--not the restaurant's fault, just our preference. The coffee (and coffee service) was excellent. In all, another in a long succession of good evenings at Owens's.

Date of visit: October 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,107)

Reviewed 30 October 2018

Lots of Great Food (Not Cheap) and Friendly Staff! We went back at night to hang out up stair listening to the piano and great talks with the staff and locals! It was a great time! We were celebrating our anniversary and it was a great place to do it!

Reviewed 29 October 2018 via mobile

First and foremost, after the food, of course, our server, Kara, was welcoming and accommodating. When she delivered those delicious hush puppies (with cinnamon butter I might add), she had us at "Hello"!! I ordered the she crab soup (yummy), my husband had the barbeque platter (ample plenty and he enjoyed it), our friends both seemed to enjoy their salads and spaghetti dinners (also not skimpy portions by any means). We paid a fair price for all we got and felt we got what we paid for. Would definitely recommend you put this on your radar while you're here at the beach.

Reviewed 29 October 2018

It was Restaurant Week during our visit. Owens was participating and offered a great selection of three-course dinners. We recommend Owens to anyone traveling to the Outer Banks.

Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed everything we had for dinner here. Friendly service. Wonderful prime rib. The lobster bisque was amazing. The crab cakes were excellent. Definitely a place to go for dinner.