“Great Place!!”

Ranked #20 of 92 Restaurants in Nags Head
Price range: USD 4 - USD 25
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Old Nags Head Cafe continues the Roderer family tradition of the great food and Outer Banks North Carolina hospitality we've been offering Nags Head restaurant diners since 1985. Housed in the historic Harris Grocery store on the beach road that served vacationers up until the late 70s, our café's easy-going, beachy atmosphere provides the perfect setting for a gathering of friends or a quiet evening. We like how one of our guests described us, "The restaurant/bar has a very neighborhood feel but is classier than your standard beach seafood shack. Lots of wood paneling and a tasteful amount of local flavor make it a great place for a low key night or casual date." We do strive to make you feel like you're a long-time local, even if it's your first visit, with our friendly servers and easy-going style. That's the way a Nags Head restaurant should be! Complementing our surroundings is a menu that's setting a standard for Nags Head restaurants. Enjoy traditional and contemporary Southern dishes as well as the best in fresh local seafood, chicken, chops, hand-cut Angus beef, pasta, soups, salads, sandwiches, daily specials and homemade desserts. We've been told you can't come to this place without experiencing fried green tomatoes or shrimp and grits! While you're dining, your view is of Nags Head's row of unpainted aristocratic cottages, summer homes that were the first to establish the Outer Banks of North Carolina as a vacation destination. You're also across from the iconic Jockey's Ridge. Old Nags Head Cafe also has a full-service bar with an extensive beer and wine list, and we're happy to accommodate your take-out order.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stopped here for late breakfast and we really enjoyed our meal. I ordered the BLT with Fried Green Tomato and wife ordered the crab omelette . Our waiter Jeff was great!

Reviewed 10 September 2018

My husband and I ate here years ago for breakfast, and it was great. Years later, we came for lunch. They were closing soon, but happily accommodated us. The waitress fished out some crayons and coloring books for our 3y.o., and even brought some fries out (not ordered, and free) because we had been on the road, and he was hungry. The food is excellent; happy to have a new go to restaurant!

Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

In all my years coming here how could I have missed this place? Luckily we spotted the sign and stopped in for dinner. I was in the mood for a crab cake so I had the cc sandwich. It was all crab, no filler- well seasoned and flavorful. One of the best I’ve had in Nagshead. Loved the bonus fried green tomato too. Hubby also enjoyed his burger. Service was friendly and courteous. Reasonably priced as well. Will definitely come back.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Amazing corn and crab chowder! Absolutely THE BEST Crab cakes EVER!!! Definitely the best kept secret in Nags Head!!!! Will absolutely be going back again and again

Reviewed 31 August 2018

We loved breakfast at this cafe. Their stoneground grits were absolutely amazing, and my husband loved his biscuits and gravy. I had some pancakes which had way too sweet of a topping, but the pancakes were delicious. We will definitely be back next time we visit the Outer Banks!