Review Highlights

Great hidden gem!

Reviewed 23 July 2016
xcgal3
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

All reviews fishing pier small dam picnic benches rocks trail
Reviewed 7 August 2018

This area was not maintained. It appeared overgrown and we drove in and drove out. I did not see where it was senior friendly for a walk. Maybe in the Autumn.

Reviewed 23 July 2018

For a price of $3 for parking, you can either wade along the rocks, swim in the river pools, or watch folks shoot the rapids in their kayaks or rafts from the banks or on the pedestrian bridge. There are also nice spots to picnic and breath-in fresh air.

1  Thank Kelli B
Reviewed 24 September 2017

This is a serene, quiet park suitable for having a family BBQ or picnic, reading a book, taking the kids fishing or taking an easy walk. There is a restroom with what I think may be a vault toilet. I did not look. There is a large fishing pier and some smaller decks from which to fish. There are also quite a number of picnic tables/benches and grills on the grounds, as well as a large pavilion with picnic tables suitable for a large group. This would also be good for taking shelter in inclement weather. There is not much to do at this park otherwise, but you can take a short (10 min.) walk to a small dam and a possible swimming area (on the other side of the dam). Parking is free and adequate, especially in light of the fact that this park seems to be very lightly used. Finding this place was a little bit of an adventure; my Garmin GPS gave wrong directions but Google Maps on my phone was spot on.

1  Thank DonnaAJ
Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

It took us awhile to find this place has the location on this website was not correct. A local garage gave us appropriate directions and it was still hard to find. They have areras that are handicapped accessible. Only saw a handful of people here. The trail I found easy and my dogs loved the hike.

3  Thank Gabrielle B
Reviewed 16 August 2016

Decided to take a gentle stroll with the dog from the picturesque picnic area to the dam.
Unfortunately near the first fishing platform we found a swarm of very aggressive bees. We were stung multiple times and when we ran away they persued us right back to the car park. I have never known such aggressive bees, they carried on stinging all the way and hung on to our clothes. Two of our party had to seek medical advice due to severe pain and swelling on their face and hands. We did some research and think they may have been African honey bees, some have recently been found in South Carolina.

5  Thank happitravel
Reviewed 23 July 2016

Stay in a cabin each year around this area and come here often, The place is great, really well maintained, and easily accessible but the real treat is the trail walk. Pretty and fun, it's about a 10 minute stroll and then you arrive at the real fun! Walk across the damn to arrive at Hiwassee Lake, great for swimming and sooooo warm! If you are brave, you can drive there too, by taking the gravel road on the other side of the bridge, but we make it a point to spend time here swimming and relaxing each visit.

1  Thank xcgal3
Reviewed 29 June 2016

I was riding around and saw a sign for a picnic area and drove back a dirt road. I was surprised to find a beautiful park like setting with a dock overlooking the lake. Lots of benches, picnic tables and barbecue grills and no one was there! Then I drove back to the hard road and drove down the dirt road on the opposite side of the lake. There I found a dam you could walk across and fish from. A few teenage boys were jumping off the dam into the lake and having a great time, reminded me of how we did the same thing years ago at another lake. The teens were so polite, and happy to show me how daring they were!

What a great day! What a wonderful place to live (and visit!). I love North Carolina!!

3  Thank Nancy W
Reviewed 17 June 2016

This is a quiet, secluded area just west of Murphy, NC. We stumbled across it and were very glad we did. The lake is small but lovely and we were told the fishing is good. There is also a nice hiking trail to get "away" even farther. There are picnic tables and a bathroom. Very nice place.

2  Thank Sharon K
Reviewed 30 May 2016 via mobile

Nestled in the mountains near Murphy North Carolina, are many lakes and rivers. One in particular, Cherokee Lake, is a quiet and beautiful little corner of heaven on earth.
We recently had a family reunion there and no one was disappointed.
Plenty of parking, several picnic areas, a bathroom, fishing piers and hiking trails are among the great advantages of this cosy little corner of the lake.
So if you're near Murphy and looking for a great place to get away, without having to travel I definitely recommend Cherokee Lake.

3  Thank Z9379CNangelab
Reviewed 12 April 2016

go by and see it. it is nice and a must see. relax, get your exercise in. go fishing, play games, skies the limit.