“Must see, worlds largest.”

North Carolina Granite Quarry
Ranked #3 of 6 Tours in Mount Airy
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This should be on everyone's must see while in Mount Airy.
Amazing to see the amount of granite and size that the machines can lift. NCGC supplied the granite for the National WWII memorial in DC. Plus many other buildings. They have the worlds largest planer, thus they get huge rocks from around the world to cut and slice.
Do your self a treat and go to the observation area and watch as they cut and move huge pieces of granite as big as a house.
If you ask at the office, they will give you a paper detailing the history of the quarry, and sample.

1  Thank Sue D
"mount"
in 7 reviews
"town"

Reviewed 25 September 2017

We came here all because of a geocache. I read up on the quarry before leaving home. After doing the touristy things downtown we drove up here to get away from the crowds. Very impressive. The office was closed so we just drove up to the observation area and looked around for a bit. It's amazing how large it is and how much granite is available. Great area to get away from it all.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Closed on Labor Day, this was a nostalgic visit for my brother and me, because our dad grew up nearby, and took us to see the quarry when we were children. It is unusual, and if you are into seeing the "biggest" or the "only," it is an easy and diverting visit.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

We were amazed at the quarry. The lady in the front office was so nice. She gave us a packet of the history and samples of the granite. We took our new Belgian Malinois pup with us!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 July 2017

I had never heard of the NC Granite Quarry even though I'm from NC! While visiting in Mt Airy we happened to see it on a may we got at the visitors center. We actually passed by it by several miles & had to turn around & go back. I though it was really neat to the be largest open-faced quarry in the world...in NC !! We didn't stay long or go inside the "office" (trailer) that was on site as it was late in the day & it appeared they were closed. I really enjoyed seeing it however & was glad we went. If I was to return to Mt. Airy, I would try to go when they were open & perhaps get more info.