“It's OK”

El Rey Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 87 Restaurants in Lincolnton
Reviewed 15 May 2017

The food is decent, but service is another story! Typical wait to be seated is not long, but once you are seated you can expect to wait 5-7 minutes for anyone to even acknowledge you are there! They definitely need more wait staff!

Reviewed 26 September 2016

We visited El Rey after a recommendation from a friend. We were seated fairly quickly but things went downhill from there. The prices seemed higher than most other Mexican Restaurants. The chips came with the usual salsa which was "okay" as well as a creamy dip. We asked the waitress what it was and her response was "you know, I'm not sure. Other people have asked me that too. I think it's a type of ranch dip". We ordered margaritas and those took exceptionally long to get because "the guy that makes them was really busy". Once we got them, they were pretty good but not the best. We ordered two very standard items from the menu, with no substitutions or exceptions. After about 40 minutes, a guy came by the table asking if we ordered "this" and we said no, we ordered "that" and he said "okay, I'll let them know". Not sure what that was all about, but we waited an additional 10 minutes. We finally asked someone to check on our order and finally my entrée arrived but not my husbands. His they said was coming soon. After a 2nd request for silverware, both his entrée finally arrived and the silverware. By this time, we had to leave because we were out of time to eat and quick frankly, we were just aggravated with the whole seen. We paid for our margaritas and left.

The cashier gave us a voucher for a free meal on our next visit but never one time apologized for the poor service nor even recognized there was a problem.

While paying, I talked to a group of four who had managed to get their food after an hour and when I asked if it was good, their response was: "no, it wasn't. You are better off going somewhere else." They did say two of their group liked theirs but the other two did not.

From the other reviews, maybe we caught them on a bad night.... but this was highly disappointing...

Reviewed 15 September 2016

We met family here for dinner on a Wednesday night. They recommended this place. We all ordered something different. The food was very good and the prices were too! Our server was great. He came by a few times to check on us and kept our drinks full. It was an enjoyable meal! We will return.

Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

We've been to El Rey several times...on a date night, in our Tennis clothes after a game, with a large group after church, etc and every time it has been great! Service is always good and so is the food. Only complaint is that I'm very plain with my food, so I easily noticed the ground beef has been very greasy the past 2 times :-/ Hopefully it was just a fluke! Overall though, it is VERY good! (If they showed the UFC fights there they could make a killing!)

Reviewed 21 May 2016 via mobile

A Triumph!!

Much better than average Mexican fare. We would defiantly come back here. They provided a good amount of food for rh money - Great Value