“Worth the drive! ”

Buffalo Mercantile Company & Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Buffalo Mercantile Company & Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 86 Restaurants in Lenoir
Price range: USD 2 - USD 30
Description: Take a step back in time at The Buffalo Mercantile Co. est. 1897 - The Buffalo Mercantile Company and Cafe offers General Store Merchandise, hard to find spcialty items, fresh made coffees, cappuccinos, lattes, and and ice cream parlor. The Cafe offers outdoor seating/entertaining along the rushing creek complete with large fire-pit. We also have the finest made Pizza with fresh flour, yeast, extra virgin olive oil and other fresh ingredients to make our dough in our large Hobart floor mixer. We make all of the pizza sauce FRESH along with shredding our own mozzarella cheese, we slice all of our veggies daily. All of our deli meats are also sliced fresh daily. Our burgers are amazing! Every pot of coffee starts with fresh ground beans. Our vanilla and chocolate ice creams feature 15% butter fat to provide a rich and creamy taste especially when they are topped off with Sanders Hot Fudge topping brought in from Michigan. Join us, step back in time, it's a destination worth the drive!
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We drove up a little skeptical that this place could have the amazing pizza that we had read about. Doesn't look like much but It. Was. AMAZING! The atmosphere is great, the staff was very attentive (even our server did a great job on his first day!) We found our way there on an intentional detour as we were headed from Raleigh to the west end of the state. I think that we are planning to make the same detour on our way home!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Great Homemade pizza dough! Great Server! The owner needs to manage the front of the store. The candies were very very old.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

This is a place worth trying to find! It is off the beaten path & so peaceful, with the most charming countryside as its surroundings. The mercantile store is so quaint, with many practical goods, as well as cute local treasures. The cafe serves delicious food, drinks, & ice cream. The pizza is absolutely wonderful!

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

We had a great lunch. The food is awesome. The burger was amazing and the pizza was mouth watering. Yes, I ordered them both! The staff was very friendly and the mountain views were awesome. You will feel like you are stepping back in time all while enjoying a great meal.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

I had never heard about this place until Monday night when a friend mentioned it, having been hearing about it on Facebook and (possibly) word of mouth. This store/restaurant is about 30 to 40 minutes away from us so he invited me to tag along with his three boys on our next day off. As others have stated this is a very rural location-the local saying "I was starting to hear banjo music..." was uttered more than once... (dark reference to the movie Deliverance for those not as cultured...)

The store is small even by local standards but as you enter and walk straight back you can seat yourself and an employee will bring menus. As there are only a couple employees, there is not dedicated hostess(es)/servers/cooks; one lady pretty much handled everything. As a big tea drinker I was left a little dry but the lady was obviously busy preparing our large order so I was fine. The staffers (two ladies initially with one back and forth to the front) and another lady later on in the meal were very cool and friendly. It took us a while to order (I'd love to blame the kids but I was just as conflicted as everything looked SOOOOO good on the menu and in pics). The lady was also very patient and accommodating as we needed to make subtle changes and requests for the meal and table.

We were hungry AND wanted to try as much as we reasonably could. We got garlic knots (probably the best I've ever had but none of us liked the marinara thinking it had too much olive oil or something) and wings (pretty good with good quality chicken, and decent sized to boot.) There were three orders for burgers (as we'd heard they were awesome) and a large pizza to share. After a few minutes a lady came back and said that due to some unplanned circumstances they could only do one burger...I tried to be the gentleman and let one of the kids have it but my buddy insisted that I take it and they up-sized their pizza. We were admittedly hungry but it seemed like a wait, but as stated in earlier reviews you see they are preparing from scratch and it was worth the wait.

The pizza was great if just a little greasy. The paper plates were very flimsy and stuck together-even the ladies were laughing and joking about how crappy they were and promising to never buy that brand again. The plastic cutlery was equally cheap. The pizza was (again) awesome but so hot and greasy-moist the slices HAD to be ate off the plates and the forks completely folded under while the guys were trying to slice and eat the pizza.

My MOMS burger was OFF THE CHAIN good! I felt-as an officer of the law : ) I was bound to tell the truth so I told my friend and his kids the only burger we could get was OUT OF THIS WORLD, as bad as it pained me to rub it in. My buddy said I crushed his kid's dreams. : (
: )

I got a Margherita pizza to go and the same thing applied as with the other pizza-the juices almost soaked through the box but my wife and I had it for dinner and it was VERY GOOD.

This is a MUST GO place for foodies in the area!