“Family Favorite!”

Ranked #14 of 69 Restaurants in Kitty Hawk
Price range: USD 8 - USD 20
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Specializing in exquisite and refreshing island cuisine in a classy yet casual tropical ambience, Barefoot Bernie's Tropical Grill & Bar has become a true destination on the Outer Banks restaurant circuit.
Reviewed 16 November 2017

Visited Bernie's a couple of times during vacation. Enjoyed a variety of dishes including their steak special, shrimp and grits, fish and chips and BBQ ribs. All meals were good although as we are British and probably more critical of the fish and chips we were hoping for a more fatter piece of battered fish with this particular meal. Overall though this really was a family favorite. Service was great. Prices very reasonable.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

The menu on line seems to be accurate in items and descriptions but prices are higher. Food and service was very good.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

My husband, daughter, her boyfriend, and I celebrated our anniversaries at an Outer Banks beach house. It was our 25th and their 2.5th. In honor of the occasions, we had dinner at Barefoot Bernie's Bar and Grill. Honestly, we hadn't heard of it and chose the place based on an ad in one of the free magazines in the beach house. We didn't expect much. However, we were very pleasantly surprised by the following:
- The wait: Although the restaurant was crowded and we didn't have a reservation, we didn't have to wait more than ten minutes. Also, it was nice to be telephonically alerted when our table was ready.
- The decor: The high ceilings makes the place seem bigger than it is. Also, the decorations showing different beaches were enjoyable and in tune with the vibe of the customers.
- The staff: The waitstaff were very attentive without getting in the way of our conversations.
- The food: I'm generally a small eater so I just ordered the coconut shrimp, which is an appetizer. After we got our food, I realized that was a mistake. I should have ordered more... much more. I don't recall what my daughter ordered, but my husband ordered barbecue and my daughter's boyfriend ordered steak. Everyone was very happy with their meals. In fact, my daughter's boyfriend said it was one of the best steaks he had ever had. (He grew up in Texas and KNOWS about steak!)
- The prices: Hubby paid for dinner and didn't tell me how much it cost. However, the fact that he didn't complain once about the cost for four people indicates that it was a real value.
NOTE: The day after out visit to the restaurant, we attended a Shrimp Festival hosted at another venue for the benefit of dolphins. It featured cooks from many Outer Banks restaurants. As usual, my chatty spouse started a conversation with two cooks from Barefoot Bernie's. He told them how much we enjoyed our dinner and discovered that one of the cooks had made our meals. It is good to know that the people who cook your food are great people.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

Bacon cheeseburger salad was the BEST salad I've ever experienced. My first visit to Bernies (after 20 years visiting the banks) but for sure not my last!!! Can't wait to get back this month (hope they're open). Nice restaurant, great wait staff, reasonably priced. Beparis2@hotmail

Reviewed 29 October 2017

Second year visiting Barefoot Bernie's and there was no disappointment. We had two meals there and both were great. Our group members include people with a couple of different diet restrictions and Bernie's provides more options than just about any place at the beach. Service is good as well as the food!! Thanks for the options!!