“A Down Home Friendly Eating Place”

Swooger's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Kings Mountain
Reviewed 13 August 2017

I visit Swooger's several times a year when I'm especially wanting Tony's Ice Cream...a local favorite based in Gastonia. I recently took my four grand children on a Sunday afternoon and let them choose whatever they wanted in ice cream. We ordered a banana split, a double scoop of vanilla in a cone, a cup of Chocolate and vanilla, a cup of strawberry and vanilla and a cup of pineapple ice cream. There are many more flavors to choose from. The young men who filled our orders were great. Several people came in behind us and they filled everyone's order in a timely manner. Other items on the menu after 5 PM on Sunday include hamburgers and fries. Through the week and on special days they have a full southern dinner. I have friends who take advantage of the "specials" on a regular basis.
When you walk into Swooger's you are entering a time warp. 45 vinyls and LP Christmas Album Covers line the walls along with celebrity pictures from the 50's and 60's...my genre. Music from that era is playing at a tolerable sound level.
There are simple tables to sit at and the atmosphere is welcoming. I spent $15 for 11 scoops of ice cream and the extras on the banana split. Prices are reasonable for a great ice cream experience.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

I like their ice cream and cheeseburgers. The atmosphere is has the fifties records on the wall with fifties music playing.

Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

Excellent place to take the family, usually hit it after ball games or if we are getting home in the evening and don't want to fix dinner. Great friendly staff and of course ice cream!

Reviewed 24 March 2016

Stopped by yesterday for a shake and took over 15 minutes for someone to wait on me. One man in front of me and he was griping on the service. Counted 5 people behind the bar and no one was in an "active" mode. The shake was very good but would go elsewhere next time. Don't have the time to waste.

Reviewed 13 January 2016

Swoogers is a locally owned business and reminds me of the diners from the 50's and 60's. The staff are incredibly nice and the food is always good. I especially like the fact that it is always fresh and is cooked to order. They have incredible soups which are freshly made by the owner every day. Their broccoli cheddar soup is the best. They also make their own pimento cheese and egg salad. The prices are very reasonable and the portions are very filling. The owner takes great pride in his business and it shows. You cannot beat their milkshakes, ice-cream sundaes, and banana splits. They only use Tony's ice-cream which, in my opinion, is the best. If you're looking for haute cuisine, look elsewhere. But if you want a good meal in a clean place with friendly staff, this is the place to go when you're in Kings Mountain.