Last week my husband and I took our first vacation together in 4 years. I travel a lot for dog shows, but stay at inexpensive motels that accept dogs. This was supposed to be very special since it was just the two of us.
Like our other vacations, we went to the Outer Banks, which is a favorite of ours. We normally stay at the Surf Side Inn in Nags Head, but wanted to try a different hotel, so thought we'd try Shutters, based on Tripadvisor reviews...
All I can say is, it was worth what we paid, $60/night. It was an incredible deal, so I really don't feel I can complain, however, if I was paying what people are paying now, $150+/night, I'd be complaining a lot! Definitely not worth it! It honestly was not even as nice as some of the chain motels I stay at for dog shows.
For some positives, the staff was very nice and tried to be helpful. There were ice machines on every floor and all worked. The room was large, with lots of closet space. There also was a microwave, mini-fridge and coffee maker in the room. The room and bathroom were also clean.
A few specific negatives, we asked for the 3rd/4th floor in the Tower so we'd have a good view of the ocean...We were at the end of the building (Rm #335) and didn't have a good view because of the condo next door to the hotel. Maybe the rooms more in the middle of the Tower building have a better view. The bed had a plastic lining on the mattress, which made a lot of sound while turning over during the night and caused us to get uncomfortably hot despite lack of covers. The complimentary breakfast is so so. Again, for $60/night, I can't complain, but for $150, I would be! It was cold/hot cereal, store type bagels/English muffins, frozen waffles, store type danishes/mini-muffins, hard boiled eggs. Even for $60/night, other motels have better breakfasts with warm egg dishes, bacon and make-it-yourself waffles.
Again, I really wanted to love Shutters, but didn't...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oceanfront location, each room is equipped with two queen beds or one king and a sleep sofa and include a refrigerator,in-room phone, TV with HBO, AM-FM radio and highspeed internet. All efficiencies are equipped with full kitchens. We also have a limited number of King Studio Suites available. Complimentary continental breakfast. complimentary passes to the YMCA. Newly renovated rooms and efficiencies for 2016. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Expedia APAC, TripOnline SA, Wotif.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, lastminute.com.au, Odigeo and Booking.com so you can book your Shutters On the Banks reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shutters On The Banks Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Colony Iv
- Shutters On The Banks Kill Devil Hills, NC - Outer Banks