This review is long overdue, pretty much on account of me just being lazy and putting it off. Over the summer we (me, my wife and two children) stayed at Shutters for a weekend, we always go down to Kill Devil Hills for a week and rent a house but wanted another couple days later in the summer and chose Shutters based on the reviews here on Trip Advisor. So we rolled down Saturday morning and went to attempt an early check-in. No rooms ready to go yet, but we were told go ahead and park, hit the beach and they would call us as soon as a room was open. So we did, and they called us when we were okay to check-in. I went to get the car from up front and drive to our room and the car wouldn't start. Now let me preface this by saying that this is a new OBX tradition...last summer our car battery died on us while we were down there, and here we were again. I went to the office and asked if maintenance could possibly give us a jump start, they said no problem and 5 minutes later we were jumped and I was off to get our battery tested. It checked out so we were back in action. The battery crapped out that night AGAIN and they gave me another jump so I could go and get a new battery and be done with the nonsense. That's the first thing I wanted to mention, they were so damn accomodating and helped save us a massive amount of headache...pretty much they salvaged my sanity and kept the weekend from being ruined.
Now on to the rest...the room we stayed in (ground floor behind the dunes) was very nice, clean, comfortable, everything we could ask for. Nothing overly-fancy, but we're not overly-fancy so it was perfect. It was nice having the patio area in the back with a couple of chairs to kick back and relax in the evening, and the shutters on the windows are really cool. We slept like champs and the boardwalk leading to the beach made it super easy to get there and back. The pools are great too. Saturday we spent 6 hours on the beach and my kids still wanted more water in the evening, so we hit the outdoor pool until it got dark then moved to the indoor pool. Sunday morning we had a good breakfast there in the office, good selection of stuff and we grubbed real good before we had to get on the road for home.
I just really cannot stress enough what a great experience it was down at Shutters last summer. We will be going as usual for a week and renting a house this summer, but I'm pretty confident we'll be down one or hopefully two weekends on top of that, staying at Shutters. We had previously stayed at the Mariner or the Travelodge when we did one or two day runs down there, but Shutters has got our business without a doubt now. Another nice bonus is being right next to the beach shop so you can get whatever you need right there, pretty damn convenient. I'm rambling so I'll cut it...Shutters staff, if you read this thank you very much and tell the maintenence guy who's a Giants fan good luck against the 49ers this weekend!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oceanfront location, each room is equipped with two queen beds or one king and a sleep sofa and include a refrigerator,in-room phone, TV with HBO, AM-FM radio and highspeed internet. All efficiencies are equipped with full kitchens. We also have a limited number of King Studio Suites available. Complimentary continental breakfast. complimentary passes to the YMCA. Newly renovated rooms and efficiencies for 2016. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, lastminute.com.au, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Shutters On the Banks reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shutters On The Banks Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Colony Iv
- Shutters On The Banks Kill Devil Hills, NC - Outer Banks