All reviews rocking chairs rooms are basic full size kitchen bells and whistles an amazing ocean view literally steps pots pans across the street mom and pop chain hotels great pool new carpet first floor enjoy the view large room coffee pot north carolina
Reviewed 30 October 2015

Located right on the beach, no dunes to climb over. No luxury, but good basic large clean rooms, with kitchen. Very helpful and friendly staff. Great value. Sandy playground with charcoal grills and picnic tables located near pool. Parking conveniently located at your door or just behind it.

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Changebridge10
Reviewed 15 October 2015

The oceanfront rooms are a great location. No dune, offers a great view of the ocean from the patio. First floor rooms you have a step down into, so you can't see the ocean from sitting, but can standing (I'm assuming the second floor you can see from sitting). It was nice sitting in the rocking chairs enjoying the ocean.

As for the room, it was a disappointment. I knew going in for the price it wasn't going to be amazing. I don't have a problem with the old decor (used to LOVE the Beacon Motor Lodge), but there were little fixes that could've been done, as well as big ones that need to be. First thing my eyes were drawn to walking in the door was the kitchen area. The refrigerator was rusty, as was the oven. As we saw later, so was the sink and it was starting to develop a hole. Now I get these are not cheap fixes, but I'd rather them just remove the whole kitchen so it wouldn't bring down the feel of the room. The beds were not that bad, but you could tell they were old. Updating the mattresses and bedding could really brighten the room up.

As for little things, I wouldn't really mind but with the overall look of the room it made me question things. First, in the kitchen, was a dish towel that had seen it's better days. Was stained (maybe bleached?), and just looked nasty. Why would the housekeeper put that in a room, just go to Dollar Tree and buy a new one. If they won't replace a dollar towel, are they really going to replace anything big? The inside of the refrigerator had crumbs, and some sticky stuff on the inside of the doors. The freezer had food left in it which disappeared the next day (housekeeper must have known it was there and forgot or something). I wouldn't ever cook/eat in that kitchen. When I put my wash cloth on top of the curtain rod in the shower it turned black. I wiped it and it doesn't look like it's been cleaned in years. The WiFi was very spotty if anyone is interested in that.

It really wasn't all horrible. Once we got past the kitchen we didn't mind the room at all. Yeah, it may have wood paneling, old chairs, and the original bathroom fixtures, but that doesn't bother me. The beds, bathroom (other than curtain rod), and floors seemed clean. We didn't encounter much staff, but the housekeeping lady was quite nice. For $84 plus tax a night, you're not going to find a cheaper oceanfront room.

I wouldn't rule out staying here, but I wouldn't rush to get back either. Without the kitchen this probably a 5 star review for the price, but it just made the room look quite horrible. I think I'd rather spend the extra $50 or so and stay somewhere else. We go for a week usually and just rent houses, so we probably won't be looking for a hotel any time soon. Go in expecting to sleep/shower in the room, stay on the beach all day, and go out to eat.

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Pens4821
Reviewed 19 September 2015 via mobile

The wife and I spent a week here. For beach front accommodations I don't think you can find a more reasonably priced room. The hotel is dated, but I find it to be charming. This is a classic beach hotel, not a cookie cutter chain type of place. The room was clean, house keeping was very efficient and was very respectful of this being a vacation spot. The housekeepers would wait until timing was good as to not interrupt people who were sleeping late or spending time in the room. If you're looking to spend time footsteps from the beach on a budget this is the place to be.

Date of stay: September 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank BCrane
Reviewed 16 September 2015 via mobile

For thirty years my family has been staying at this place. Still a great place to stay, but do wish they update everything. Can get a little noisy from people outside, especially on the pool side of the hotel. Otherwise this is a great option for the price. Clean place and very friendly staff.

Date of stay: September 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2015

I was teetering between 4 and 5 starts because in essence this place is a no frills motel. But this place really grows on you, from the amazing view and location to the staff all of whom couldn't be more friendly. Sure, the rooms haven't been updated in years and the mattresses could use replacement, but who cares at these prices with this location? Tip: room rates dip drastically after mid August. Though simple, it does have a nice pool, grills and picnic tables, and is spotlessly clean. Go for it!

Room tip: Second floor beachfront is the best; some of the first floor beachfront rooms (like ours) have a dune blocking the view.
Date of stay: August 2015