“First time guests, definite repeat customers!”
Review of Fire Mountain Inn

Fire Mountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Highlands B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I made reservations here at Fire Mountain to celebrate my 8th year Anniversary with my wife. It was a surprise get away. I was looking for a nice quite spot to relax and just spend time together since our lives are very hectic. I was greeted by Hiram and Matthew and they are fantastic hosts. Every question was answered and they even helped my find out on a map the best routes to get to our excursions. The Culluja Cabin we stayed in was spotless and the flowers, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries and cherries were top notch. Even the writing in the card that comes witht he romance package, was perfect. The gourmet breakfast was dynamite! As soon as breakfast was delivered, we were up and running for the door to get it because it is just that good. Hiram and Matthew are very knowledgable about the local businesses and were always willing to help us find a place that we were looking for. We left rejuvenated and rested and will definitely come back to Fire Mountain. One more thing, the robes they have for sale are worth every penny. So soft and plush!

Room Tip: The two person Jacuzzi tub inside the cabin was fun and relaxing!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dennis M

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Thank you for enhancing our stay with you as we celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary and my birthday. It was perfect in every way from the meticulous way you presented the area attractions to the gourmet breakfasts which sustained us until dinnertime. Our thanks to Edith for those delicious morning feasts.
Thank you for going out of your way to help our family surprise us with so many nicities from the cheese and fruit platter upon our Friday arrival to the after dinner surprise awaiting us along with beautiful flowers that you picked from your garden.
Being on top of the mountain to experience all the beauty of nature was an added blessing. I will forever treasure the White Lake. You created an environment of peace and tranquility so we could be present to the moment.
We can't thank you enough for your hospitality. We arrived as guests and left feeling like family.
Being with you at Fire Mountain was better than any party we could have had because we were alone together just like we began 50 years ago.
We are already planning our next visit. God Bless You

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My wife and I just returned from our first weekend at Fire Mountain. We were looking for a chance to get out of the city and recharge for a couple of days. I made arrangements a couple months back and called to get a better idea of whether I wanted a cabin or room at the inn. They were extremely helpful from the beginning. Booking was very easy and I was promptly sent the additional information about not only the resort but notes on dining, shopping and outdoor activities in the area. When we arrived to check in Matthew was there to greet us and walk us through the welcome packet. We had several questions about where to eat, what kind of hiking we wanted to do and he was terrific at answering all of them. He gave us a great recommendation on a hike the locals know about where you don't have to do a lot of work to see some amazing waterfalls. We had a fair amount of clouds and rain but we were still able to enjoy our settings. The Inn is on a huge property on top of Happy Hill so you feel secluded and with rare exception we really felt like we had the whole mountain to ourselves the whole weekend. The cabin was exactly as advertised. Rustic but extremely clean and well maintained, just like the pictures. We mixed the two nights with going into town the first night for dinner and the second just picked up one of those ready made dinners that many places sell in town. The cabin had all the necessities to cook and it gave us time to hunker down and just relax. This was our first time to the Highlands and we don't usually do the cabin in the woods type of thing but after our experience at Fire Mountain we can't wait to go back again.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JCA612
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I have stayed at Fire Mountain multiple times, but this was my first time staying in one of the cabins. We stayed in the Galax cabin. As usual, the accommodations were spotless. For anyone for whom cleanliness is important, Fire Mountain is your place! The cabin itself is beautiful, with hardwood floors and simple, yet elegant, decor. The jacuzzi tub was perfect for relaxing in after a day of hiking and ziplining. The living area - couch and fireplace - was romantic, while the kitchen area (fridge and stove) allowed us to bring our own foods to enjoy. We were even greeted by the horses who live adjacent to the property - they came right up to the fence and allowed us to stroke their manes.

Overall, i cannot recommend Fire Mountain enough. Anyone who is visiting the Highlands NC area would be foolish to stay anywhere else. Beautiful and spotless accommodations, helpful and friendly staff, all nestled in the mountains with breath-taking scenery all around.

Room Tip: Four different stays - four different locations - and not a bad spot yet!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We decided to pack the van up with our three kids (11 yo boy and 8 yo twin girls) and dog for a no-electronics Spring Break . We were at Fire Mountain 2 hours and 15 minutes later. We rented the Hemlock, which is the largest cabin on the property. It has two bedrooms with bathrooms, and a large kitchen and living area. There's a huge stone fireplace, which took the place of our large-screen TV at home. The jacuzzi on the back deck was a great source of entertainment, and was ready for our use immediately upon arrival, which is what the kids decided to do while we settled in. The deck faces east, so we had a fantastic sunrise view, and then had evening shade. We prefer to cook in, and found the kitchen very well equipped with all we needed, incuding a water bowl and some dog biscuits for the pup. We did eat out once --- Brick Oven Pizza, about 12 minutes or so from Fire Mt. The kids loved the "ranch pizza" (made with ranch dressing, go figure, it was tasty). We also had some treat awating us --- some chocolate-covered cherries, of which I had one-half of one (greedy children). Also some homemade granola in a canning jar, which we are still nibbling on. The bedrooms each had a king bed and a twin bed. Very handy and comfortable cabin all the way around.

We had breakfast delivered to our cabin, which I really recommend doing at least once -- it's all packed up in a picnic basket, and very hot and ready to eat upon arrival, which we designated. It is an extra expense to have it delivered, but we like to do it once during our stays.

The kids really enjoyed the grounds of Fire Mountain, and they took the dog and went exploring while we had relaxing afternoons on the deck. As a bonus, the kids loved feeding the horses on the adjoining property. Everything was beginning to bloom and just so gorgeous. (This is my third review, so I am trying not to repeat myself, so please see my previous for more details about my total satisfaction!)

Thanks again go to the Innkeepers, Hiram and Mathew -- their vast knowledge of everything Highlands (the hiking, the road conditions, the restaurants) always make our visits extra special.

We wanted to stay longer, as usual. I was apprehensive about the kids actually enjoying four days with no electronics. I shouldn't have worried! They didn't want to leave any more than I did! We are already planning to return for Memorial Day (while the kids visit Granmpa and Grandpa!)

Room Tip: Hemlock was perfect for a family and a dog!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
13 km away
Skyline Lodge and Restaurant
28.6 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Cashiers-Sapphire Valley
12.6 km away
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages, Inc.
13.5 km away
The Chandler Inn
The Chandler Inn
#5 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Fire Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!