“Rude and standoffish”

On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina
Ranked #76 of 261 Restaurants in Gastonia
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Description: Every day at 8 a.m., we start chopping veggies, soaking beans, and prepping our mesquite-fired grill. Not because we have to, but because we believe in delicious flavors made-to-order, from hand-rolled enchiladas to our sizzling fajitas to guacamole made right at your table. Everything pairs nicely with a grande margarita, and of course, enjoy the always endless chips and salsa.
Reviewed 7 September 2016

I have eaten at several restaurants of this chain throughout FL and even another in NC. I was looking forward to eating at this one, but my daughter had her therapy dog with her. We realized this location has an outside seating area with an outside entrance; we asked the hostess if we could sit outside with our dog and she said, sure. When we were getting our dog out of the car, the manager came running, telling us that we could not seat outside with our dog. Do not see the point of outside seating when we cannot seat and eat with our well behaved and vetted therapy dog. This was the first time any restaurant with an outside seating and outside direct entrance to the outside area has ever stopped us from using it with our dog. Is the outside seating area just for smokers? I am sure that second hand smoke is more detrimental to your patrons than a well behaved dog sitting under the table. Good bye On the Boarder we walked away and will never again visit another On the Boarder Restaurant if it is true that this is a restaurant wide rule.

Date of visit: September 2016

Reviewed 19 July 2016

My wife and I visit this OTB location often. Only because of us liking the food, living close by, and the menu selection. But be advised the service is VERY hit and miss,and It has been that way for years! The food is always good, but your order could be wrong, your wait time after placing the order could be excessive, your portions could be smaller than expected, and then again everything may work out perfect! There is absolutely no consistency to this place! If you are going there for a special occasion, or on a time schedule I would advise not risking a mess up. I have learned going in to be upfront with the wait staff and having them repeat my order. It's unfortunate because I really do like this place............

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 29 March 2016 via mobile

We like OTB food...otherwise we would not keep going back to this chain. But every time we've visited an OTB, there's been a problem. This time it was service. Our waiter admitted he had only been there two weeks. It felt like he had not been properly trained and was not supervised. He made mistakes on our order and it took forever to get the check. We were traveling so won't get back to this particular OTB. Just wish they had some standards for service and quality and the chain would be great.

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed 9 January 2016 via mobile

Our last visit added insult to injury. Sat @ the bar. The bar and floor was covered with food.,Previous guests checks were still on the bar. The bartender was waiting on the tables and not the bar. Waited 15 minutes for Someone to take our order. At no time were we offered chips and salsa. The bar wasn't wiped down at any point. Finally got to order food. Food took another 30 mins. Get the food and no silverware. Had to wait to find someone for that. Service sucked, beer is overpriced. They ran out of large glasses so I'm guessing no one was working on getting them washed. Food is nuked.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 26 October 2015

My wife and I went to lunch here because we have been looking for a Mexican restaurant to replace the one we often ate at when we lived in another town. When we went in everyone was friendly and the place looked clean. A plus over the another place we just walked out of without eating. My meal was not great ,I ordered it with shredded beef but it was more like ground beef which wasn't even an option on the menu. My wife's food was bad. The sauce on her enchiladas tasted like cheap caned chili. She didn't eat but half of one of the enchiladas. None of it was worth their prices.

Date of visit: October 2015