“Disaster!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Franklin
Sanford, North Carolina
“Disaster!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

We recently reserved here for a two night stay. During the 1st night I was wakened repeatedly with something crawling around and on me which, in the light of day (and when compared to the images on google/wikipedia) were clearly bed bugs. We reported this to the desk; they denied that they were bed bugs, but I believe we'll go with our own ID. We were told that we could cancel our 2nd night stay and be refunded for that amount if we chose to leave, which we did; they refused to make any adjustment for the previous sleepless night.
I recognize that this problem can occur in any essentially transient location and is not a reflection of the owner's lack of cleanliness. That said, there is no way I would spend another night here, nor would I encourage any others to do so.
We made our selection based upon what seemed to be a rather uniform series of good reviews, but were enormously disappointed. Luckily, we found another clean and comforatble alternative and were able to continue our mountain vacation.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank retiredtonc
debbiedrake, General Manager at Carolina Motel, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
As General Manager of the Carolina Motel I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was such a disaster !!!
I am very much aware of the problem that you had this past weekend. However, the BUG that my front desk clerk brought to me at my request for my examination was NOT a bed bug. Due to the seriousness of this problem I have made it a priority to educate myself very well on the subject as well as conduct classes on it. The room that you stayed in was inspected and thoroughly gone over by myself and my head of our housekeeping staff. Not one other bug could be found in this room. Not in the room, the bed, under the bed, in the dressers of in the carpets. The black round bug that was shown to me is a very common garden bug and due to the fact that we have gardens directly in front of the rooms it would be common to see them. I do understand your concern, however, I do not feel that it warrants a review such as the one that you have written about our hotel. I have a very diligent staff that works very hard to keep our hotel in pristine condition. We have a sanitation score of 100% I know that this has nothing to do with bed bugs being brought into our hotel but we are vigilant about this problem. After every check out all mattress pads, sheets, bedspread, and shower curtains are pulled and washed as well as inspected. My attention to detail has been credited to me numerous times. Our hotel has been owned by the same family for the past 47 years and 70% of our guests are return satisfied customers, NOT transients.
Due to the fact that you stated you had to look up bed bugs on the internet tells me that you do not have much experience on this subject. If you are someone that does do a frequent amount of traveling I would suggest that you study this subject more seriously. It would not be fair to see another hotel go through such unwarranted scrutiny.
My position in reference to your refund is that I have to be accountable for my actions as well and in good conscience I could not justify a refund knowing that the bug presented to me was NOT a bed bug. It only indicates to me that our exterminators are doing their job well.
Deborah Drake
General Manager/ Carolina Motel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

This place is an old time motor lodge on 441. The decor is dated, but this place is inexpensive. Staff is super friendly. We asked for extra pillows and front desk guys brought them right away, he refused a tip. Amazingly clean! Had a simple breakfast the next day in lobby. Juice, coffee, muffins, fruit and yogurt. Had a little pool and a small playground for little peeps. Spied two cabins round back-they looked nice.
Close to Franklin, we had dinner at Cafe Rel-very, very good food. We hiked to Siler Bald and drove to Wayah Bald. Beautiful area!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Addie T
Nashville TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We normally stay at another hotel in Franklin but they were sold out so we tried the Carolina. Thank goodness the other was booked else we would have missed this great motel. The rooms were very clean; the staff very helpful; the rates very reasonable.

We had a king sized bed that was very comfortable; microwave and fridge. Older but in great shap bathroom. Flat screen TV on the wall. Rooms were quiet. Hotel off the beaten path.

Free breakfast was what you would expect - coffee, juice, carbs.

Staf was very friendly. Pool area clean, nice colorful lights; chairs everywhere for people to sit and enjoy the evening.

We plan to return to the hotel in the near future.

Room Tip: Get the upgraded rooms. Worth every penny of the $10. And that's still a bargain.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kmagg
Warner Robins, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Although an older facility, the motel has been recently renovated. It is clean, has most of the amenities (fridge, microwave, flat screen TV, etc) and has a "can do" staff that can't be beat. Add the fact that you pay much less than motels in the surrounding area and you've got a great value. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Pay an extra few bucks and get a large TV.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank gatorsjimandann
Henderson, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

What an amazing weekend!!! March 30th to April 1st it was my pleasure to stay in the one bedroom cabin at The Carolina Motel. It was so cozy, clean and comfortable I hated to leave to visit family. The cabin had everything I needed and then some. Next time I'd like to stay for a month and have my family visit me in the cabin! Much thanks to Debbie and her staff for a great weekend.
Susan Russo

Room Tip: The cabins are my new favorite. I would highly recommend the cabins especially for families with yo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank sebaru
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franklin
2.6 km away
Mountain Valley Inn
#2 of 3 in Dillard
18.3 km away
Skyline Lodge and Restaurant

Been to Carolina Motel? Share your experiences!