“Finding Rubies”
Review of Sheffield Mine

Sheffield Mine
Ranked #11 of 39 things to do in Franklin
More attraction details
Owner description: Sift through the dirt to find rubies or other minerals.
Reviewed 12 March 2018

This mine is a great place to start looking for your own Rubies . For one price you get 3 buckets of natural dirt from their mine . You sit at the flume and they show you how to scrub the rocks at help you find the gems . I found a 36 ct.. my first time there. Which put me in the hunker club . Finding a hunker let me get a free bucket of dirt every time I go which is great . Can't say enough about the mine. Can't wait to return in May

All reviews
in 30 reviews
"dirt"
in 34 reviews

Reviewed 2 November 2017

Here, as with most mines in N.C., you can get buckets with minerals/gemstones from all around the world, or buckets with just native soil (here you're hoping for sapphires and rubies.) I bought a bucket of the native soil and did ok...remember, usually the quality of the stones in the native material is not top notch so you may not even bother to have it faceted or cabbed. I did buy one of the 'Rainbow" buckets with a variety of minerals in it and I must say, I was amazed and impressed. Best such bucket I've seen anywhere; in addition to LOTS of good quality 'common' minerals it also included a nice geode, a good piece (maybe 5 x 6") of quality amethyst crystals!!, and several Iolites (also known as water sapphires!) I love Iolites, but I've never seen them in a bucket like that before. The gift shop also had a REALLY nice 'package' for a youngster or a beginner adult: a small screen, a bag of minerals, instructions, etc. Great place!

Reviewed 25 September 2017

Fun time with our friends ... mining for gems facing a pond with lily pads, flowers, and big bullfrogs. People of all ages were there ... grandpartents with grandkids, seniors, parents with children. Everyone seemed to have a good time! People next to us found a pretty large ruby!

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

What a wonderful afternoon we had gem mining, also known as playing in the mud! We found lots of small rubies, nothing to write home about, but it was immensely fun! Richard was a great guide. Well worth the price

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Disappointed after going to a gem mine and campground closed, the Cherroke Gem Mine closed at 2:00p for new guest; we made it to Sheffield Mine which is for sale if you are interested. $600k for a turn key operation with a house. We had a great time here. 3 buckets for $20 is minimum I believe. It is a few hours of working the grates. It was fun to find rubies from a bucket of dirt. If you have a black light flashlight, make sure you bring it. If the stone turns red you found it. Enjoy the adventure. We met a couple that go back regularly so they must have gotten some good ones and cashed in.

1  Thank Eric B