“Didn't expect the service and food to be bad”
Review of Shalimar Tandoor Grill & Bar - CLOSED

Shalimar Tandoor Grill & Bar
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Buffet, Delivery
Description: Shalimar Tandoor Grill & Bar is located directly off of the all American Freeway, on Raeford Road in the Dail Center. Shalimar, Fayetteville’s newest Indian restaurant, opened in early July 2010 with an aim to provide the Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg area diners with a completely unique option on the local dining scene. When you spend your hard earned money on dining out your mood should be transported to a different place and the flavors and atmosphere should make you forget about all of your worries (at least for the moment). With very limited options in the area, local diners have not had the chance to enjoy authentic Indian cuisine as its known to be enjoyed in larger metropolitan areas. The owners and staff at Shalimar would like to warmly invite all of the Fayetteville area residents to give Indian cuisine a try. If you have already tried Indian cuisine, then we humbly invite you to Shalimar and we hope our cuisine compares well with your other favorites. Shalimar offers buffet lunch, elegant a la carte dining, a full bar, carry out, & delivery 7 days a week for you to enjoy.
Reviewed 14 May 2015 via mobile

We had heard it was a good place to eat. That must have been a long time ago. I didn't give it a terrible rating because I don't think the bad service was intentional, but the quality of the food and selection was intentional.
We came in and weren't seated. We had to seat ourselves. Then we sat there and eventually was "motioned" to the buffet. I actually wanted to order, but we got up and went to the buffet because the only person we seen since entering was the young guy and he was too busy to take our drink orders. Much less take food orders. We probably should have ordered.
The entire buffet had 1 fish dish and 3 chicken. Only one chicken dish as available during our next trip to the buffet. In addition, none of the dishes used much curry, but had plenty of cumin or lacked flavor all together. There are two really good Indian places in Fayetteville, so dont waste your time here till they improve their food and service. Or walk about 30 feet and have the best Thai food in town.

Reviewed 22 April 2015

In town to attend a concert, so arrived just as they opened for the evening meal service.

Having lived in the UK for so many years, we have pretty high standards for Indian food. One of the simplest tests we use if to order a samosa. These pastry parcels can range from unrecognizable vegetables that are greasy and overcooked, through to what we experienced at the Shalamar ... they were the best samosa's we have ever tasted, bar none. Filled with a wide range of vegetables, cooked to perfection.

The main courses, Jalfrezi and Vindaloo, were both excellent. The Jalfrezi was not heavily sauced so you could enjoy the vegetables. The lamb vindaloo sauce was spicy and very well flavored.

The servings are large: if you are not a big eater, you could easily split an entree between two people.

The entree prices was a little on the high side, but you can split an entree, or take home a lot of food for another day!

Service was prompt and attentive.

We would highly recommend this restaurant ... pity it is a two hour drive for us.

Reviewed 17 March 2015

I have been a couple of times in the last two months and enjoyed both visits. There is a lunch buffet. Lunch was about $14 with water. I had some fried okra that was very good. Chicken, goat, fish...

Reviewed 1 March 2015 via mobile

I visit this restaurant since a 4.4 rate and good reviews were giving to it. First impression from outside it looks close even tho is open. When entering the restaurant is super dark inside not a very inviting experience . Booths are some broken and re tape with dock tape , no a very appealing view for a pricey restaurant . The food bar looks like food is been there for a while even tho the just open. Look dry and not to appetizing. I place an order of lamb byriani. The server never gave me a menu or recomendation since i said it was my first time there. while you wait nothing is given for you to munch on. It took a long time for my food to arrive. Big plate portion $17 but that was to much for me. Probably 2 to 3 people could eat from there. Bread don't come with your meal you also have to pay for it. Just for me I end up paying $30. The food was not what I expected . I have been craving this specific meal and sadly to say is not something I'll order agian. Customer service was ok other than waiting long. The front house lady was friendly. Buffet here is 11.99 and is a very small selection. I don't mind paying the $$$ as long the Restaurant ,Service and Meal , all meet the expectations for a pricey Restaurant . Not a budget friendly for travelers. Not sure what happened but I got sick after eating here. I don't recommend but, everyone is in tittle to experience for themselves .

Reviewed 27 February 2015

Excellent lunch buffet. Not the best atmosphere (it's a bit dark, booths have some ripped areas, parking is a little difficult) but the quality of the food outshines any of these things. The buffet has been different each time I've been and it's been outstanding every time. Far outshines most of the Indian restaurants I've visited in Fayetteville, Ral/Dur, and Charlotte.