“Inconsistent food”

Price range: USD 7 - USD 45
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Super casual restaurant with friendly , family atmosphere. Serving slow cooked BBQ and fresh seafood daily / Open early March til late October
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

The shrimp, which is really what we came for wasn’t that good, somewhat dry and bland. The brisket was great! Homemade chips very good, as were the baked bean although they were only warm and not hot. Would have liked to try the well reviewed Mac and cheese, but they were out.
They have draft beer, waitress didn’t mention and we didn’t notice till after opening bottles. Not sure how expensive it would have been though since our bottles were $5 each for non domestics. Service was friendly and the food came out quick.

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

I am a total beach bum, never wanting to leave the beach. However when lunchtime rolled around Fat Crabs is where you'd find me. Food is fresh and DELICIOUS!! My 2 year old devoured the fried shrimp, her first time eating it. Cornbread is yummy, the handmade chips are homemade and my fav along with their crab dip. You would also see me eating the crab dip on the beach. Yes they do takeout also which we took advantage of. Their spicy seafood gumbo and crab chowda are also AMAZING! We didn't care if it was 90 degrees out, we're getting soup.
The owner and staff were super nice and very personable. They made it feel just like "Cheers". Hahaha!!!! I will say that this place does get packed quick and it is on the smaller side. So go as soon as they open for lunch or go for an early dinner. And if doing takeout, order early. But Fat Crabs is a definite must do in OBX.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Great brisket and sweet potato fries! Super friendly staff! Our waiter shared local tips and places to see on our trip. Was such a great experience that my husband went back a couple days later and took all his buddies!

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Seafood sandwiches and platters were very good, BBQ brisket was awesome! Get the Mac and cheese!!!!!

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

We ate here on Sunday 10-01, we had a group of 11. Restaurant is small so we were crowded. I had seafood and it was okay. Other members of our group had BBQ and thought it was really good.