“quiet getaway”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Corolla
Eastern Virginia
“quiet getaway”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Lovely alternative to the pricier options on north end of the OBX. Clean, comfortable, quiet, and right on the beach. We spring for the oceanfront rooms and it's totally worth it. They're large with great views and a microwave/fridge. We've only been here off-season, but every time we've stayed, the staff is friendly and professional. Very nice breakfast every morning in a open, sunny lobby. Pine Island Diner is on site, but in the 1/2 dozen times we've stayed here, it's not been open. Short driving distance to other dining options.

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms are worth the extra price.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 3 January 2012

On a last minute whim, my husband, kids and I decided to drive to Corolla for New Year's weekend. We were able to get a 2 queen suite with a partial ocean view at the Hampton Inn & Suites. I almost always try for an ocean view but since it was last minute I figured I'd suffer. The room was on the side of the building but still had a good view from the balcony (see pictures). We were able to sit out on the gorgeous New Year's Eve afternoon and watch the dolphins play. The hotel still has a good deal of separation from it's neighbors on either side so there is a large expanse of beach in front of the hotel. The room was large, clean and possibly still fairly new or at least very well maintained. I have stayed at a variety of hotels in Virginia BEach on the ocean and they are all a mess so this was quite a treat.

The brunette lady at the desk has the best personality. I wish I remembered her name but she had the biggest and brightest smile and was just very friendly to every customer.

Breakfast was included and not bad. Eggs, sausage, make your own waffles, pastries, cereal, fruit, the usual.

The hotel has an indoor pool and hot tub which I didn't realize so didn't bring our suits. There are also two large outdoor pools for warmer weather.

It is in a nice location near Corolla shopping and dining but secluded enough to really feel like you are getting away.

We loved it and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ocean view if you can get it but the partial ocean isn't bad.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cdnsk8r
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 January 2012

If you are not renting a house, this is probably the place to stay on the outer banks. The hotel is located in a beautiful natural setting with beautiful grounds that compliment the seashore location. The beach is wide and clean. We saw dolphins swimming in the surf.

The public areas of the hotel have been recently renovated in light beachy colors. The rooms are nice though ours needed painting thus the three stars vs four. The amenities are basic. The breakfast got us going though I never enjoy trying to cut something with a plastic fork on a Styrofoam plate.

We stayed during a quiet week in December. I imagine the buzz is a bit wilder during the summer season when little kids are about and excited.

Room Tip: Best rooms are on the top floor overlooking pool and beach. This was great in December as the pool...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clherrick
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I've stayed here several times when in Corolla for business and find the rooms large, the staff friendly, and breakfast better than average.I ask for a non ocean view room for budget reasons, but being able to catch the sunset from the 3rd floor is a real bonus....and then I can see the sunrise from the walkway that goes over the dunes in the morning! There is a nicely equipped fitness room, an indoor (and outdoor) pool, and hot tub,as well as WiFi and a desk in the room. There is a business center too,though I haven't needed to use it. I only stay during the off season as the room are fairly pricey and more than I usually spend for business but it is good value due to the amenities.I also like that there is much surrounding land protected from further development. It is also a great place to stay for families on vacation.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Mannheim, Germany
Reviewed 10 December 2011

The other reviewers are right: it IS great! It provides standard Hampton quality plus beach location. The stretch of beach is very nice, the sunrises and sunsets can be seen from some rooms. - Eary check-in was no problem when I arrived at 1 pm. My standard room was unbelievingly spacious. Microwave and a full-size fridge in room.

Room Tip: I chose partial ocean view and had the feeling that partial might actual be better than full as I co...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Matilda F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corolla
18.8 km away
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
31.4 km away
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
29.4 km away
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla? Share your experiences!