All reviews lake lure hotel room get away north carolina front porch next morning cottage microwave
Reviewed 22 May 2018

My husband and I honeymooned in Lake Lure 35 years ago. We wanted to visit the area again to celebrate our anniversary. This was our first stay at the Chimney Rock Inn and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The pictures we viewed online were very true to the room where we stayed. The young lady working the front desk was very helpful and quite pleasant. When we left for home, our parting words were, “See you this time next year”, and we hope to make this an annual trip. Fun time shopping and hiking and look forward to our next visit. Chimney Rock Inn we thank you for your part in our anniversary celebration!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank melchandler9
Reviewed 24 April 2018

I usually don't have many negative reviews. However, this "inn" merits a pretty scathing report. The existing online pics do not very accurately depict the actual motel rooms. I have included a couple of more concise photos for your judgment. Quickly, the two positives are 1) the location right at the entrance to Chimney Rock State Park in Chimney Rock, North Carolina. Our main intention for our trip was to scout out this area for our kids to make sure that it was a place that they would enjoy. We hike a lot and are constantly searching for new trail experiences (see my review of Chimney Rock State Park and the DuPont State Forest), and 2) the view from the surprisingly comfortable front porch that runs the entire length of the motel and looks out to Chimney Rock. Other than that, everything else is, unfortunately, negative. Here's a list of the negatives: 1) rooms were claustrophobic in the extreme, 2) the beds were the old coiled spring type and were very uncomfortable, 3) the television was a 1990's model with local cable, when it worked, 4) the tiny alcove where the toilet was located was so narrow that you could not extend your elbows outward making "sanitation" after usage annoying and hazardous, 5) the stand-up shower was so tiny that if you wanted to lather up with soap, you had to open the curtain and nearly step out of the shower so that the water from the shower head didn't wash the soap away, 5) no in-room refrigerator, 6) no in-room microwave. The only microwave was located in what appeared to be a storage room with no working lights at the extreme end of the building. If you have ever watched Jason hack unwary campers up on any of the Friday the 13th movies, you wouldn't want to go in there after dark. This is also where you had to go to get ice. The ice machine, oddly enough, was a state-of-the-art Manitowoc, which was surprising, 7) the town, Chimney Rock, shuts down at 4:00 p.m. Be prepared to drive 11 miles away to Hendersonville, North Carolina if you need gas, food, or anything else after 4:00 p.m. We stayed in Hendersonville on our first night and regretted not extending, 8) if you require any assistance with your room, you have to walk down to the office and press an intercom button to supposedly reach the attendant. I buzzed several times on our first night trying to get the WiFi password and got no answer. The next morning, I caught the next attendant on shift and asked her about the intercom issue. She laughed and said that they hardly ever answer. A few minutes later, she was also gone, and the office was again locked up tight. In summary, do NOT stay here! Stay in Hendersonville where there is everything that you need. Hendersonville is also centrally located to all area trails, parks, etc. Happy trails!

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here unless you are a practicing sadist.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
bill c, Owner at Chimney Rock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

In the interest of complete openness, we have shared the following information on our web site:
Motel rooms sizes:
Built in the 1950’s these rooms offer you a nostalgic look back and as such are not large by today’s standard. There is a microwave in the ice room but if you need more space or a full kitchen, please consider a cottage.
Booking agents will not allow us to inform you this completely.
I'm sure we could have given you the space, kitchen, newness ect. that you would have preferred in any of our cottages. unfortunately, without direct contact in this internet age and discussion as to your wants, it is hard to communicate for both parties.
Please look into our cottages on a future visit.

Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I spent the weekend at Chimney Rock Inn. The room was small, but comfortable. The bed was comfortable, but I felt the pillows were a bit on the thin side. I usually travel with my own pillow, which I conveniently forgot, so I won't blame anyone but myself on that. The bathroom was small, but we made it work. Overall, the room was all we needed it to be, a place to sleep and shower.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
bill c, Owner at Chimney Rock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

In the interest of clarity,this is on our website:
Expedia, Booking, and Airbnb will not allow us to inform you.
I hope you will come back and check out one of our cottages.

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

I was attending an event nearby, so drove up the day before and visited Lake Lure and the state park. Checked into my sweet little room at the Inn, then walked around the village, the river walk, had a beer, and came back and sat in the rocker on the porch. There was coffee the next morning and i was on my way. Room was charming and rustic, very clean and comfortable. It got chilly at night and the baseboard heater warmed it right up. Quite small but perfect for one. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo

Look forward to your return

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

This little inn has big personality. Older establishment, but the location was great. Short distance to Biltmore and grandfather mountain. Didn't get to walk through the little town, but I'll definitely be going back. The brook water behind the inn, the flag at chimney rock, the waterfalls from the mountain were all an added treat.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family