“Excellent Location & Cozy Cabin”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Fox Den Cabin in the Smokies near Cherokee and the casino
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Cuban007
Miami, Florida
“Excellent Location & Cozy Cabin”
Reviewed 3 December 2015 for a stay in November 2015
people found this review helpful

We stayed in November 2015 at the Fox Den Cabin for our honeymoon. We highly recommend this cabin because it is very clean, nice and centrally located. This is the first time we visit North Carolina. We are from Miami Florida and we flew in to Atlanta Georgia, rented a car and drove to the cabin. Here are my impressions of the cabin:
1. WAZE: Renter or manager emailed me cabin directions to get there. We got there after dark and it is very difficult to find at night even with directions. But, we found it without any problems because we used the app "WAZE" on my iphone. I have AT&T and my reception was very good. I was able to use the internet and make phone calls without a problem. Therefore, when finding the cabin preferably use WAZE.
2. HILL: The cabin is situated on a hill. So I rented a VW Tiguan small SUV and it went up the hill without a problem; I guess a small car may achieve the same results but I would prefer this SUV with snow tires because the hill is a bit steep; especially when you go from the main road onto the dirt road that leads to the cabin; as well as the paved roadway that leads to the driveway from the dirt road into the cabin; both are quite steep.
3. DOGS: The neighbor in the rear who is far away has a couple of small white dogs who bark a lot and the neighbor two houses below has a big black dog that doesn't bark but looks quite scary. The dogs in the rear are loose and the dog in the front is enclosed within an electric fence supposedly. I like to walk around, but this place doesn't feel too safe to be wandering because of the dogs. Owner in the back said they were harmless, but I wouldn't venture out walking. The scenery is absolutely beautiful and at least me, I wanted to walk and hike. You are better off hiking in the designated trails in the Smoky Mountains. We went to Bryson City and behind the city by the river found some trails that led to several waterfalls.
4. SLEEPING: The cabin is a good size for two people. We took our 3 year old baby who slept with us in the full size bed (which by the way was very firm for my taste). Only on the last day did I realize that the couch was a sofa bed which would have helped a little bit because our son tends to sleep horizontally and he takes the whole bed.
5. DARKNESS: The cabin has two lamps out-front that light up with a sensor, BUT it does not have any lamps on the side of the house. So when you arrive late at night it is very dark in the parking lot area of the house. It would be excellent if a lamp would be placed on the side of the house which could light up the parking area. It was a little scary considering it was so dark; didn't know what could be lurking out there, especially the first night that we arrived. After a couple of days and our bear spray we got used to it.
6. CURTAINS: It was nice that the manager added curtains to almost all of the windows of the property. During the day the views are gorgeous but at night it is really dark and spooky. We would sleep in the bedroom and lock our door. The kitchen window does not have a curtain and the door has a window that does not have a curtain either. We felt safer in the bedroom at night with all the curtains.
7. WASHER & DRYER: Were very nice, but I guess they forgot to clean them or something because our clothes were full of little white pieces of lint.
8. KITCHEN: Was fantastic; we cooked several times, filled the fridge with plenty to eat. They have pots and pans and all types of utensils and knifes. However, the can opener is dirty and disgusting. But on the bright side they have a bunch of spices; we left some as well.
9. DOLLAR GENERAL: is very close to the cabin; you can find a great selection of everyday items. There was also a Redbox there which we used nightly to rent a DVD movie to watch at night. However, for our main food, we went to Walmart in Sylva and just bought a bunch of stuff at a great price.
10. GARBAGE: there is no garbage service to the house; I figure it may be because of the bears and dirt road. But I enjoyed going to the garbage disposal place. It is very easy to get there. When you exit the side road that leads to 441 (Road where Dollar General is at) you make a right. Then you make another right where there is a sign and a store that says "Cherokee Art" - once you make that right there you will go down a hill and in your second left you will go up a steep incline which will take you to the fire station which is next to the garbage dump place. Just google Fire Station nearby and you should find it. One of the old men who works there is missing several of his front teeth and he is really nice. We bought too much food in the end and gave it all to him. He was really happy about it.
11. STORAGE: room has lots of closet space and drawers to keep your stuff, no issues there.
12. OVERALL CLEANLINESS: the cabin was pretty clean overall; our son is allergic and my wife gave a deep cleaning to the cabin because it had dust in certain less frequented areas like on the side of the couch etc.
13. JACUZZI: its very nice; it has a cover and it is always on; the temperature control is on the side by where the sign is at: I did not touch it because it was at 100 degrees and the water was perfect. You do have to go up and down a small flight of stairs.
14. NEIGHBORS: are very polite and since the dirt road is a one way street they are very courteous in giving you the right of way. Only had that issue once in the whole stay.
15. VICINITY: is excellent; the cabins in the area are pretty nice; you don't really see like in other places a house full of garbage and crap next to your cabin which takes away the view. On the way to the cabin on the dirt road there is an antique Chevy 57 under a little portable car port and they have some junk but its not too horrible and it is not directly next your cabin.
16. MANAGER: never met the guy; he seemed to be nice but kind of distant. I did not like that I left a message that our internet was not working and he just came into the cabin unannounced while we were not there. I felt my privacy a bit invaded. I would have preferred he would have called us and told us that he was going to pass by at such and such a time so that we would be prepared. What if I had left my underwear or socks in the livingroom and they came in and saw that would have been embarrassing; I didn't but that was just an example. Or what if I left a gun in the cabin. You never meet anybody, everything is done by phone and the key is in a lockbox. We loved the cabin, but the customer service was not that great because whenever I spoke to the manager it felt like he was doing me a favor and I was bothering him as opposed to let me make you feel as comfortable as possible. On the last day I called him and told him that I wanted to come back with my parents and if he could give me the address to some larger cabins; he did and I got a bit lost until I finally found them, but it felt awkward because I got the impression that I was bothering him. Don't get me wrong, the gentleman was courteous, but very distant, not friendly and I felt like I was pulling teeth out of him in terms of our conversation because I did not feel too comfortable. What I am trying to say is that I did not feel welcomed. My wife even told me that if it wasn't for the customer service that was not friendly this cabin would have been perfect. I loved the area and have the intention of coming back every year.
17. DRIVE: we flew to Atlanta and received a pretty good deal for $113 per person in Spirit Airlines, but I would definitely drive next time because it is a pain to have to drive through Atlanta at rush hour. We missed our return flight because the ticket counter lady did not give our passports back, so I had to go back, and then in looking for the passports all over the place and the nervousness we had misplaced the boarding passes, so I went back and the lady only gave me two boarding passes instead of three, so I had to go back, so to make a long story short, we missed our flight, she did not apologize or try to help us and didn't even try to accommodate us on another flight; another employee from the terminal placed us on another flight the next day; we stayed at the Springhill Suites at the Airport which is next to the train station that takes you to the airport excellent hotel. Also, I had purchased two pendulum clocks, so I had to buy extra luggage to take them; next time I will drive and stop and buy whatever I please with no rush. It's much nicer to stop in the little towns and have no rush to get back home. I even wanted to buy a rifle because they are dirt cheap in some places and I couldn't because I did not want to deal with TSA and the regulations; so I will definitely drive next time.
18. TEMPERATURE: During the day it was in the 50s and at night in the 30s or lowest it went was 27 degrees Fahrenheit. We stayed from November 18, 2015 - November 25, 2015. The house has air conditioning and a heater which worked wonderfully keeping the cabin nice and cozy at night.
19. ATTRACTIONS: Bryson City is very close; the town seems to centered around the train station; we did the Polar Express Coach which was the cheapest and we are glad that we did because it was nothing out of the ordinary; the north pole where we supposedly went to see Santa basically was just a few houses with regular people that had lights, which were nothing fancy or fantastic, you could see personal cars parked in the driveways; not impressive, but it was nice for the kids in that they see Santa and you get a really nice hot chocolate with a cookie. We also drove to Asheville to see the Biltmore Estate, it was ok, overpriced at $70 per person (kids free) to see the candlelight session which means they turn on the fireplaces, they have a few people singing and playing and there are christmas trees all over the house; they don't let you take pictures and once you reach the end you have to get out, they don't let you go back. About halfway I see people with the hearing devices that tells them the history of the place etc, and I wanted to go back to get one but they don't let you; they want you in and out. The gift shop was beautiful but everything was overly priced. Ashville at night did not seem like a very nice place, kind of dirty. So I was glad to get back to the mountains. However, Gatlinburg TN was the nicest place that we visited; it was beautiful to see all of the lights; it seemed like South Beach Ocean Drive but in the mountains. To get to Gatlinburg you have take 441 across the Smoky Mountains; at the top by Clingman's dome the views are spectacular, from Cherokee NC to Gatlinburg TN it was about 40 miles and 1 hour drive. We came back at night and it was foggy and a bit scary to drive on the road because of lots of curves. On the way back we saw some cops giving tickets as we arrived to Cherokee, but we used WAZE and we were well aware of the cops. Other than that time, the cops in NC area did not really bother anyone, they were not really around much, only in Bryson City did we see a lot of cops. Oh by the way on the road that is called 74 there is a flea market that opens in the weekend and I bought several nice knifes for gifts. And we also drove to Maggie Valley, you need to drive to the Ski Resort area to see artificial snow and people skiing; pretty cool. By Waynesville on the main road we went to an Antique Mall and they had a lot of cool stuff. Finally, in Cherokee on the main road there are some shops to buy indian stuff and gifts; I got an indian leather jacket and some leather belts; the prices were not too bad and the older Mexican guy in the shop was super nice.
20. FOOD / RESTAURANTS: The food in the are kind of sucked. We ate much better at Gatlinburg TN at Shoneys Buffet. We found a Chinese Buffet in Cherokee but it seemed like a ripoff and the soup that I purchased tasted like crap. We also went to a BBQ place in Bryson City that has a large Pig Neon Sign, the food there was edible but nothing special, my BBQ food is much better. It seems that the area doesn't have any good restaurants, at least that I know of.
21. RADIO STATIONS: its all mostly country music, which we don't mind for a bit, but we are used to more variety of music; we used PANDORA app instead on my phone and linked via Bluetooth to the car. Also, since in some areas there is no reception we bought Walkie Talkies in Amazon for $20 and used them a lot.
22. OVERALL OPINION: I saw several other cabins for rent in the area of Bryson City, but the place seems a bit rundown and not too nice. This Fox Den Cabin is in a nicer neighborhood and the place feels pretty safe. I would rent here again. I only had one small incident outside the Dollar General. One late afternoon after it was dark my wife went inside to buy detergent and I was in the car. A young guy in his 20s was hanging around with a girl outside; they both looked a bit disheveled and he approached me asking for a ride to the motel about a mile away; I said "No, I am driving the other way." The guy who sold me the knifes at the flea market told me that some of the younger people don't like to work and are criminals. I am a former police officer and I was very vigilant. But other than that isolated incident I think the area is very nice. Good Luck : )

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location
Liked least: Customer Service and No Lights on Parking Side of House
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
DonDoroth...
Jefferson, Georgia
“Cozy”
Reviewed 8 November 2015 for a stay in October 2015

We were delighted with the cabin. Everything worked well, amenities were nice. One request is for 2-ply toilet paper and more of it. We were appreciative of grocery store nearby. Price was extremely reasonable. Thank you for a comfortable place to spend the weekend.

Management Response
8 Nov 2015
We're glad you enjoyed your stay. Everyone loves Fox Den Cabin and as you have found, the location is superb. As noted on our website and our contract, we provide a "starter amount" of paper products. They are not meant to last your entire stay. All of our cabins are on septic systems so certain types of TP will eventually cause clogging problems. We provide "Septic Safe" TP for that reason and hope that guests will purchase similar products.
Calvinlee...
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Love the Mountains”
Reviewed 19 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015
person found this review helpful

weather was a little rainy during our stay but Everything was wonderful. Enjoyed the hot tub and the amenities you provided. This was just what we needed. Cabin was very nice , super quite,

granna9
Cherryville, North Carolina
“Married Couple”
Reviewed 27 August 2015 for a stay in June 2015
person found this review helpful

Wonderful place to stay! Very clean and very comfortable. Location is perfect! We can't wait to go back. Very private and everything you need to enjoy time away. Julia Chapman

FrankBMW
Ormond Beach, Florida
“GREAT PLACE - GREAT PRICE”
Reviewed 27 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

We absolutely love this area! Great cabin - very comfortable, great view, porch was fantastic for morning coffee, easy to find and convenient to everything! Found a great church – The Grove. Fly fishing is wonderful – even though we didn’t catch any. Tsali Mountain Bike Trail – Thompson Loop – awesome. Lots packed into one week. Not ready to go home. Good sandwich shop in Cherokee – Sassy Sunflower. Cork and Bean in Bryson City is a great place for dinner!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and condition of property.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing