“Pleased with this hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Charlotte-Arrowood
Ranked #110 of 182 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here for a single night business trip. Hotel is in a good location for local business access. Evening dining options are within close (5-10 minutes) and downtown Charlotte is 15-20 minutes, traffic permitting.

Hotel was clean, well appointed and quiet (well, a few jets from Charlotte airport did fly over...). Staff was courteous and check in/out was quick. Evening beverage and morning breakfast were a nice touch. I did not have any issues during the stay.

It certainly is nothing fancy, but it certainly met my expectations.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very clean.The hallways were spotless and Smelled Clean! All staff were very friendly and helpful. Easy access to SR 77. The breakfast was very good well done and the girls working kept up with the crowd.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at the HIE Arrowhead for one night on a business trip.

They let us check in an hour early and even double checked to make sure our rooms were made up. I was given a king room on the fourth floor.

On the plus side, there was a mini-fridge, microwave, and large flat screen TV. There were plenty of outlets near the desk area and a very comfy work chair. This may seem like a small item, but there was also a separate closet with door and not just a rod with hangers in the open. The bathroom had the lovely Bath and Body Works shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer and even shower gel which were very nice. The room was also clean.

On the negative side, my toilet did not flush. When I removed the lid I noticed that the chain was not connected to the plug and that someone had clearly tried to "rig" it to flush previously using twist ties. I called the front desk and was told maintenance would be up. After waiting an hour, I called down and was told that he had gotten busy but that he would be up shortly. To the front desk's credit, they did call to check to see if he had been up. Unfortunately, he fixed the chain problem, but then the plug did not work and the tank would not fill with water. Another trip from maintenance. This time he replaced the entire piece and it was fixed.

I understand that stuff happens and that the true measure of a hotel is how they respond to the problem. However, an item as basic as a toilet should be checked before a guest checks in. Surely housekeeping had to have noticed that when you pushed the handle it did not flush.

I used the fitness center. The sign on the door said it opened at 5:00 a.m., while the in-room Guest Guide said it was open 24/7. Not sure which one was true. There were 2 treadmills and a bike along with a mismatched set of free weights. To their credit, the bike worked well and I enjoyed my workout. Towels were available, and there were 2 drinking fountains in the room. There were no cups or sanitizing wipes, though.

Breakfast was good for this class of hotel. The English muffins were fresh, and there was a fridge with yogurt, milk, hardboiled eggs, butter and cream cheese. There were also scrambled eggs which were pretty good and breakfast meats which I didn't try. There was also a pancake maker.

We asked the fronk desk for suggestions for dining options. There is a magazine in the room that has a restaurant guide. We took the front desk suggestion and ate at Cafe South,, which is less than a 1/2 mile from the hotel. Do not go to Cafe South unless you enjoy a Cracker Barrell type experience (which, don't get me wrong, has its time and place). My catfish was bone dry and the pickle chips were barely covered in batter and did not come with a dipping sauce. The beer was cold, though.

This hotel was certainly sufficient for a one-night business trip, but I would not recommend staying here for extended trips. There was only one elevator which was not sufficient for a 4 story hotel. There were long waits (several minutes).

I would have given this hotel a higher rating had it been priced appropriately (in my opinion, closer to $100). But my room was $169 before tax, which was just completely overpriced for what I got and for what I could have gotten at higher end hotels in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I traveled many a night to Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express and I'm finding that the express version has become way over priced. The days of under $100.00 for their express brand are way behind us. Granted the rooms are clean, the lobbies fresh, the breakfast bar acceptable, time for me to rethink my travel stays as their prices rise.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014

While in Charlotte, NC to lead a 4-day engineering seminar, I visited the HIE on Arrowood Road. This Holiday Inn Express provided both my guest room and seminar facilities. My visit was just outstanding; absolutely no issues or support problems. The General Manager, Toni Sawhney, took time each day to make sure I had everything I needed to conduct by business and was comfortable as her guest. Additional hotel staff who went above and beyond: Dana, Duston, Elizabeth, Howard, Jackie, Jamil, Jimmy, Liz, Shamica and Raj. 'Best wishes for your continued success.

Former Naval Person