See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 June 2017

We stayed here because of a missed connection. It was cheap and did the job for a very short stay. The AC didn't work. No coffee maker in the room. Beds were okay and place was reasonably clean. No elevator to second floor. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: no elevator to second floor
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank L M
Reviewed 13 April 2017

Unexpected flight delay forced an overnight in Charlotte. Went to this place because it was closest to the airport. I have very minimal expectations. I don't care if paint is peeling. But sheets and towels that have not been laundered since the last guest: that's not OK. There was sandy grit between the sheets; the towels had a used-since-being washed texture and had loose hair on them. I've never seen anything like it before, and I keep a low budget.
I got there around 1 a.m., profoundly exhausted; had to go at 5:30 to catch a plane. Ended up keeping my clothes on, sleeping on top of the top sheet with one of my shirts covering the pillow as some kind of barrier. I didn't talk to the desk attendant because once I'd surveyed the scene I read online reviews and saw that what I was experiencing was normal there.
I've never been so uncomfortable about a place to sleep. If it weren't for security concerns I would rather have slept on the grass.
The only reason to go to this place is that it is a room with a bolt on the door.
I wish that I had saved the $70 I paid through Expedia, the $14 taxi to and the $8 Uber from, and had suffered sitting in a chair at the airport overnight. Even if it had all been free I would rather have sat at the airport. I doubt that they allow lying on the floor at the airport, but if they do allow it during the wee hours then I would much, much rather have slept on the airport floor. For real.
I will say that, contrary to some other reviewers' reports, it was quiet while I was there.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank JPfromCT860
Reviewed 14 September 2016

The place was super creepy. I arrived late one night as the airport shut down because of a storm and I was stranded in Charlotte for 24+ hours. This was the only hotel I could find available. The parking lot of dark, dirty and has a very transient feel to it. The sign outside suggest they have weekly rates.

On my way to my room, many of the outside ac units looked like they'd been beaten and kicked in. The room was very dim, smelled of stale smoke and mildew. I went to try to turn on the AC unit there was a massive layer of dust sitting in the unit. I went to pull back the bed sheets to check for bed bugs and the mattress was just really old and nothing in the place looked sanitary. Beggars can't be choosers so they say but i'd have rather slept at the airport. BTW, I didn't see any bed bugs. One point for Royal Inn.

I was in the room a total of 15 minutes before I realized this was how horror movies begin and I needed to try to find anything else. I packed up and went to the front desk, told the night attendant I wasn't able to stay in the room and he told me he wasn't going to refund my money.

I could see a Comfort Inn not far away and decided to take my chances and walk there. As I started walking through the parking lot, a man started following me and waving at me. Then he just turned around and walked straight into the tall grass/ woods area near the road. I wish I was making this *ish up.

I thought is this really how it ends? Like some creepy scene out of True Blood! I finally make it to the Comfort Inn and they take pity on me and book me the last room at a crazy price but whatever, I live to tell the tale. The Royal Inn and Suites is a scary place and I recommend it to NO ONE.

Room Tip: Please choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank T W
Reviewed 10 July 2016

You get what you pay for. The room I booked smelt weird, the lady at the front desk in the morning was not very welcoming, the room looked very old, and we didn't even use the shower. The bed was relatively clean and we had free wifi. That's all I can say about this place.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2015 via mobile

Decided to save a few bucks and based on my familiarity with the staff, paid for three days. They've recently updated the TVs to 40 inch flat screens and updated the locks for the doors. The rooms are small but the space is utilized well, the smell was a bit stale upon entering, turned on the fan to circulate air into the room. Room was fairly clean except for the roaches that intruded while I was taking pictures for this review. That pretty much sealed everything and asked the front office for another room, unfortunately they didn't have any and they offered a refund. Outside of that, the room was fairly clean and the Internet is very good. I'd probably give them another try at a later date if I need to be close to the airport again.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business