Wingate By Wyndham Charlotte Airport I-85 / I-485
Norfolk, Virginia
“Wonderful!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We simply loved it!

We never experienced a hotel that smelled so good, felt so wonderful, and had down to earth, friendly staff!

It was hard for me to get out of bed to conduct business. Very comfortable. Very clean which is a big thing for me.

The breakfast is not a skimpy danish and coffee meal. Quite a variety and hot when ever you come come down from your room before 10 a.m.

Soft, quiet sounds. Everyone is friendly with a smile.

Plan to stay again!

P.S.
(Just need to do a bit more scrubbing on the shower tiles and under sink counter area)

Room Tip: Very close to airport and car rental area. Close to restaurants and convenient delivery food optio...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TooPickey
THESALESOFFICE, Director of Sales at Wingate By Wyndham Charlotte Airport I-85 / I-485, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Lovely review, thank you! I will be sure to visit with our Housekeeping team in regards to your comments

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
durham, nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

Pros:
Competent staff, well appointed rooms, hot breakfast, refrigerator, microwave, wi-fi, convenient location.

Cons:
Refrigerator was turned off, tricky turn to reach Tyvola Rd. South.

Hints:
If using refrigerator be sure to check refrigerator thermostat is set to "on" position. To reach Tyvola Rd. South, turn left from hotel entrance and drive around to Nations Ford Rd., turn left and then drive to traffic light on Tyvola, turn left.

We like this chain of hotels. No matter where we go, this hotel offers above average accomodations at slightly above average rates. For us the big draw is the hot breakfast where those who watch their weight can have a high protein low carb breakfast consisting of eggs and sausage. Of course, there are plenty of choices in the high carb category as well. Five stars for the breakfast buffet.

Check-in/out was efficient and friendly. Somehow, all the staff seems to go out of their way to be welcoming. It is a nice touch. Five stars for the staff.

The room is very well appointed with very comfortable bed, an office space with wi-fi and hard wire internet service. I did have a little trouble with the wi-fi dropping out occasionally. No really big problem here. The heating/cooling system was quiet and efficient; no rumbling noise of compressor turning on and off. In addition to the usual amenities of flat screen television, iron, ironing board, etc., the room featured a mini-fridge and microwave. Here the hotel loses its fifth star for us. The refrigerator was turned off and we didn't notice it until the next day when we pulled out a warm beer. We understand energy conservation but what is the point of offering a refrigerator if it's turned off and it takes hours for it to come down to temperature? The room was quiet with no problems sleeping. The curtains blocked out light efficiently.

Reaching I-77 from this hotel can be tricky because it involves turning left onto Tyvola South. Turning right from the hotel entrance, the logical thing to do, takes you to Tyvola where the only available turn is a right turn going north. One then has to make a U-turn at the first available occasion. The better way is to turn left out of the driveway, drive around the back and turn left onto Nations Ford Rd., and then turn left onto Tyvola South at the traffic light.

In spite of all these positive comments, the turned off refrigerator brings the overall hotel score down to four stars. Sorry.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
THESALESOFFICE, Director of Sales at Wingate By Wyndham Charlotte Airport I-85 / I-485, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Hello and thank you for your review this is unfortunately a review for another hotel with our brand. We are the Wingate by Wyndham Airport located on 4238 Business Center Drive and 1.4 miles from the Airport. I hope you can visit us during your next trip
Roanoke, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

This hotel is convenient, the staff polite, and the room very clean; however, it's not designed for sleeping. First of all, the window curtains do not shut. All our room had was a sheer curtain which kept out NO light. We tried in vain to find a way to block out the light but couldn't. It felt as if we were sleeping on a stage due to the light pouring in from the brightly lit parking lot. Eventually I safety pinned towels to it to try to block it out.

The comforters: while comfy they are crinkly and every time someone moves, it sounds like paper rustling. This all sounds nitpicky, I know...but not at midnight when you're desperate for sleep.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and I am so sorry to hear your visit with us was not a restful one. I was suprised to hear this as we do offer heavy curtains in all our guest rooms in addition to the sheer curtains. In regards to the bedding as a result of our recent renovations all our bedding is very new and as a result may have resulted in this sound. Our apologies
Central NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

My wife and I had to go to Charlotte for a few days early December 2011 and tried to pick a place near the hotel for ease of travel. Our fears of a dingy, cramped, unfriendly hotel room were pleasantly shattered within the first few minutes of arriving early.
The staff was so friendly, since we caught an earlier flight we figured we'd be out of luck checking in many hours early. To our surprise, they quickly accommodated us and even offered us to eat at their breakfast counter gratis. When we got into the room it was clean, spacious and well appointed for a room costing less then $100 per day.
A pool and spa were offered for use as part of the price, although we didn't use them. Breakfast was included as was free parking. Overall, this hotel was the best bang for the buck and left us with no hesitation in saying we'd absolutely stay there again when in Charlotte.

Room Tip: Be friendly, they absolutely deserve it.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank CentralNJKeith
We love shattering fears and offering pleasant dreams...Thank you for your very kind comments and we hope to welcome you again!
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

Stayed here for 1 night after arriving late at Charlotte airport. After asking for directions at the airport desk, they phoned the hotel and sent their minibus to pick me and some aircrew up.
Room clean and what you would expect from a chain hotel. Breakfast ok even if it was self-serve and all utensils plastic.Staff friendly. Microwave in your room but I do not recommend the cheese danish from the vending machine. As a hotel to stop over for the airport this was good.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Philmchenry
Thank you for your honest review! We will be sure to not restock our vending machine with the named cheese danish as suggested. Wishing you continue safe travels