“Terrible service and communication at the hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte
Ranked #16 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 October 2017

This in regards to the service at the hotel - not lounge or spa - those are A+. Upon check in I was not warmly greeted, nor were any of my booking notes read. I booked over the phone and got the reservation specialist to attach the reservation to a previous one done (simultaneously) through my credit card portal. She did not read the notes, attach my reservations, nor was she friendly.

After sharing the bday news with the other front desk people and clearly being excited she was ready to get rid of me. I asked if we had received an upgrade (as that's standard for Platinum members) she said "no, there is just one but it's dirty so you'd have to wait hours. Um, what? Not, let me get it cleaned for you guys - thanks for your loyalty? Nope.

Then guest relations called and checked in and I was so upset I explained and she was the sweetest woman and got us put in another room immediately. We were only there for a staycation for my partners birthday and the room was tiny, and the carpet was very worn. She put us in a suite (which happened to already be clean and ready, hmm) and we seemed to be set.

Next morning at 9:30 AM our doorbell is ringing and the maid is asking us when we are leaving? What? Sunday, we are here through the weekend. She apologized and was so nice and said she'd called down - clearly the notes weren't passed to house keeping. She asked what the occasion was and we said "birthday" and she got us a cake brought up immediately (the housekeeping NOT the actual staff).

Our keys were deactivated when we were at the spa/pool so we had to go to the front desk in our robes to get new keys. Awkward since the Ritz Lobby is a hot spot in the evenings. While down there we wanted to confirm our checkout time the next day. Due to our status we are guaranteed late checkout at 4 PM. The front desk was arguing and saying we could check out at 2, but a platinum guest was coming at 4. Then my partner nicely explained, we're platinum too and we want to check out at 4. Is there a room shortage? It seems they are organized enough to know they need a specific room by a date, but we were not offered that or any courtesy - very unorganized.

The next morning was a fiasco as well. Our doorbell was rang at 9:30 asking when we were leaving. We kindly said 4 PM. Then again it rang at 12:30, 1:30, AND 2:30 all different people asking the same thing. We are leaving at 4. At 1:30 the housekeeping said they called and we didn't answer . No, we were in the room, the phone did not ring, but that would have been much prefered. We were trying to relax on our staycation and it was far from relaxing!

Upon leaving we did voice some concerns, as they asked - and the nice gentleman offered to remove the charges for our room Saturday night. Once we got home we realized they charged us for Friday (even though that was prepaid), so we still had to pay for two nights - thanks for literally nothing.

*Our room was spacious and nice, there were stains on the carpet in a few places. The bathrooms were spotless, beds were very comfortable.

Also - spa staff was very nice, guest relations people were very helpful and compassionate, and the housekeeping (Clarissa) were the sweetest people we met.

Overall, I would absolutely never return - for over $500/night we should have been treated at least like human beings.

Room Tip: The higher the better - a homeless man brings an amp and plays guitar on the corner starting at 8:30...
2  Thank dpaigej
SeamusRitz, Director of Sales at The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Good Day,

We are disappointed to hear we did not meet your expectations. If you have a moment, I would love to speak with you directly about your experience. I can be reached at 704-972-4446.

Seamus

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I chose The Ritz in Charlotte for our wedding anniversary getaway weekend. We were impressed upon arrival with the service and ambiance of the hotel. Our suite was clean and roomy although slightly outdated furniture. Full bathroom was lovely and half bath very convenient. We both had one of the best massages ever during our couples massage in their spa. The spa amenities were very nice. The salt room was amazing!
It wasn’t until our second day that we had an issue, when I accidentally locked myself out of our room after a facial (my husband was still in the middle of his) and I had to go to the front desk to get a room key. I was in my robe and slippers with wet hair, so I was already frustrated and a bit embarrassed. The gentleman at the front desk put me through quite the interrogation process to get into my room, despite my obvious appearance as a guest. Not to mention the lady who checked us in was standing right there. The problem was that my name wasn’t on the reservation. Not an excuse in my opinion considering all of the circumstances. I was very much further embarrassed and in front of other guests nonetheless! I was “escorted” back to my room to have my id checked after intense questioning and they even called the spa to confirm I had been there! Absolutely ridiculous! They need to re-visit their procedure with certain policies. I was also disappointed that the refrigerator in the room was pretty much useless and we had an issue with to-go food being ruined.
The management however MORE than made up for our troubles and we will definitely return due to the outstanding customer service. Looking forward to giving this hotel another go despite many other beautiful options in uptown Charlotte.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2017

We booked the ritz for our wedding night. The suite was outdated and the carpets were stained. We had to wait to check in due to so many people trying to get into the downstairs club. One of my bridesmaids ordered us strawberries and champagne but there was nothing in the room when we got there.

2  Thank meganfR1685ZD
SeamusRitz, Director of Sales at The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Good Day Megan,

We are disappointed to hear your stay did not meet your expectations. If you have time, I would love to speak with you directly about your experience. Please call me at your convenience at 704-972-4446.

Kindly,
Seamus

Reviewed 11 October 2017

We came to the Ritz for an anniversary night and although I knew the Ritz reputation, we were super impressed. We are looking forward to our next stay. I recommend the Ritz to any couple looking for a special night

Reviewed 10 October 2017

The Ritz is always a great experience. However, I recently read where they mistreated minorities and put a surcharge on their bills but that wasn’t the case for us. We were treated like royalty. I will continue to be an avid customer of the Ritz Carlton.