“Good sports experience”

Chapel Hill University Inn
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Recently stayed here for the duke vs UNC game. Checked in at 14:00 and was given my room key straight away, the cleaners do an excellent job of cleaning the rooms. The hotel is relatively close to UNC campus.
It offers a free shuttle bus that goes every hour (except 17:00) to and fro campus from about 09:00 to 19:00. I had a problem with the bus where I was booked tonbe collected at 18:00 but wasn't collected until 19:40 and was lied to several times by crystal on reception. This is my only negative of the hotel.
It offers a free pass to a local fitness centre, which has brilliant facilities, also has an outdoor pool, never tried it but would be nice in the summer. There is a bar/ restaurant called timeout which is good. Local to the hotel s several complexes where you can visit for food or bits and pieces for the room, which offers a microwave and a fridge. If your used to a Hilton, you maybe disappointed. If your happy with good local companies you will benmore than happy. I will return when next visiting UNC. The rooms on th second floor could be noisy from like. Heater noise, maybe ask for something away from 249 area ...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Chapel Hill University Inn

Reviewed 8 February 2012

For Christmas I had purchased my boyfriend UNC tickets, a flight, and this hotel. Going to see the UNC at home was on is bucket list so I wanted it to be special. I had read some of the review of this hotel and I had tried to keep an open mind as you cannot please everyone. However, front he start this place was a disaster!!! The sign for the Inn is very small and difficult to see from the main road. My GPS had said that we passed our destination so we pulled over into the parking lot of a Food Lion and I called the Inn. The girl at the front desk, Krystal, who answered told us to go 'Away from the Food Lion' I tried to explain I could go right, left or across the main road I do not understand 'away'. Unfortunately Krystal did not know how to communicate directions. When we arrived at the Inn we obtained our keys and went up to our room. When we walked into our room I instantly started to cry as this place was an absolute dump. The celling was cracking and there was mold on the walls above the doorway. The walls are paper thin and the room reeked of smoke and it was outside entry only. Not what I had in mind at all. This however was not the only issue. I had called down in the morning to verify how we could get transportation to the UNC game. The young gentleman in the morning told me that there was bus transportation $5 round trip from the mall about 1/2 mile down the road. Great! Later that afternoon we decided to down to the front desk to confirm exactly where at in the mall parking lot is the bus pick up. We were greeted by Krystal who then told us they no longer have bus pickups at the mall. Really? How long ago did the change happen? She said a week or so ago, however they had flyers on the front desk with direction to the mall for bus pickups? Again, not helpful at all.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christy S
Reviewed 18 January 2012

They have" tried" to make this an nice hotel but missed the mark. The Lobby is fine, but that is about a far as it goes. This is an old school hotel layout: 2 floors, outdoor entrances & metal doors facing the parking lot. Concrete walks with painted pipe for railings. Nothing fancy about this place. Chapel Hill and this area is somewhat safe, but you will be sharing this hotel with construction crews. Hotwire has turned me into a hotel snob (thank you Hotwire), but they have miss this star rating by a longshot. This is NOT a 3 star establishment.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My husband and I sent gave our son and his friend a weekend in NC and tickets to see the Tarheels play on Jan 7th, it was his Xmas gift. He is a huge UNC fan and we picked this hotel after alot of research thinking it was close to UNC. It is actually approx 4 miles away, I called the hotel to find out about transportation to get to the game and was told they have a shuttle that takes guests to the college. Well, not on game days it turns out. They had to take a cab which costs $ 40.00. Also, it turns out their was an Elvis celebration going on, lots of bands and they did enjoy the atmosphere. However, I was disapointed to hear that they had to pay a cover charge to get into the hotel bar at night. $12??? Really? hotel guests should not have to pay a cover charge to sit in the bar and have a drink. The info on website and given to me on the phone wasn't accurate. Also, they didn't have a microwave or mini-fridge in their room, they went to the desk to ask about getting them and were brushed off by the staff and never recieved them. Overall, they loved the trip, weather was great, enjoyed the sight seeing, and the Tarheels won!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Very reasonably priced. Clean room; nice front desk staff. Stayed over Christmas with our Laso Apso. No complaints from us on our stay.

• Stayed: December 2011