“Quick dinner”

Ranked #31 of 320 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

The chopped pork had many large hunks of fat and gristle, which I despise! It was obviously roasted in a gas fired oven, giving it very little flavor. The 3 sauce choices were: one that was mostly vinegar (to sour), one that was mostly molasses (to sweet), & one that was mostly Tobasco hot sauce. These were in a few sticky squirt bottles, along with room temperature ketchup. Five bottles for the entire resturant to share?!? The drinks are self serve drink machine and tea. The Cole slaw was tasteless but fresh. The refrigerator pickles were limp and slimy. The hushpuppies were greasy, thin and tasteless. The French fries were the only good thing, hand cut and hot. The non existent wait staff spent the entire time we were in the resturant, standing at the ordering counter flirting (a man and woman), giggling and talking... Were they supposed to be working? The space was clean, however there was overpowering grease smoke odor making it unpleasant to sit inside and eat. Came out with my clothes and hair smelling terrible. Need ventilation. They were NO other customers in the resturant at 4pm Saturday... That should have been my clue. Won't be back.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

You will not find better "Eastern" (vinegar-based) BBQ; we know, we've tried just about all the establishments out to the coast. The "sauce" itself is particularly good and they use it to just about the right amount. There's more on the table and there's some tasty tomato-based sauce. Portions are large, so pace yourself. The sides are also very good and "traditional" (there's more variability in recipes for these fixin's). The mac-n-cheese was a great stand-out, unique and savory. Catering to vegetarians isn't an after-thought. Tempeh is on the menu as is the option to pick 3 side dishes (all are vegetarian) as an entree. There are taps for 4 local beers (good selection). SPECIAL NOTE: this establishment is attentive to better ways of sourcing their products, particularly their pork which isn't a trivial concern in a state renowned for the cruel ways in which this livestock is raised in "confinement" facilities.

2  Thank UglyBuffalo
Reviewed 7 August 2017

The BBQ is decent but there is certainly better around Chapel Hill. The sides however are great. The people there are really nice, however.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

I was in town for a concert and looked up BBQ joints to hit. This place seemed to be the favorite so off I went. I was there on a Saturday afternoon. Wasn't too busy. Handful of seats inside, more outside, also counter seating. Order your food and get a number, take your seat and they bring it out to you. I was originally going for the small plate of brisket which comes with cole slaw, homemade pickles and hushpuppies (more on those in a minute.) I wanted a 2nd side and was going to order but the girl taking my order suggested I bump up to large plate which not only would come with a bit more meat but also another side. In the end if I had just ordered the small plate and an additional side it prob would be the same price (without added meat) or about same. So it was a good suggestion. Like I said I got the brisket with pickles, coleslaw and hushpuppies and my other side was fried okra. Short wait for food. They have draft beer but I got the fountain drink (free refills.) Brisket was very good. Nice flavor. Would've liked maybe a little more char to it (i'm used to burnt ends.) But it was not disappointing. The cole slaw was great as were the homemade pickles. Nice serving sizes all around. So the hush puppies aren't the little donut hole shaped balls you're probably used to. They were long and skinny almost like pieces of a funnel cake (attaching photo.) And they were delicious. And the homerun of the entire meal was the fried okra. I've had it all over and I can safely say this was best I've ever had. Tasted as fresh as can possibly be. Seriously was that good. Price was decent, average. Whole meal was a little over $20. Def recommend ya give it a try.

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

We are from out of town and wanted some BBQ and The Pig had good reviews. The reviews weren't wrong!!! It's a small place, with a casual (do it yourself) flare. You walk up to the counter and order and then they bring you your food. The staff was very friendly and patient (checked on some ingredients for us). The prices are average and you get a lot of food! The fries are a huge order, so we will split, next time. The BBQ is some of the best I have had, in a long time...very tender and had great bark. Both sauces are delicious! The best part is that their pork is locally-raised, antibiotic and hormone free. We will be back!

2  Thank naturalhealth_plexus