“Barbecue Paradise”

Ranked #33 of 313 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed 30 May 2017

Good selection including vegan items. Generous portions. Variety of sides and beer selections. Casual atmosphere. Outside seating. Service is efficient.

Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Can' t go wrong with good BBQ. This place has been a fixture in north side of Chapel Hill. A BBQ plate includes pork, hush puppies,slaw and more. Price is appealing. Small plate will satisfy most adults; large plate for hungry appetites. Staff friendly and helpful. On site free parking. Overall, a good meal at a good price.

1  Thank Grayendo
Reviewed 16 May 2017

Did BBQ twice on my trip to Chapel Hill. Much preferred The Pig to The Pit (see my separate review of The Pit).

The Pig has a luncheonette/fast food feel to it, with tables inside and out and seats at the bar. There's one cashier/waitress in the whole place (at least at dinner on a Monday), and there is some do-it-yourself. Nothing objectionable, but nothing upscale if you care. I didn't.

A plate of brisket came with interesting, fresh, and different hushpuppies, slaw, and pickles. The slaw was different and okay. The pickles were fine. A side of beans looked very homemade and were good (and better with a bit a the vinegar BBQ sauce).

The brisket was good (no better, however) and not too fatty. The sauce on the brisket was just okay. The star was the red vinegar BBQ sauce that was on the table and not served directly with the brisket. The sauce was spectacular, perhaps the best I've ever tasted. Sharp, spicy, tangy, everything I could ask for. Wish I could have taken some home.

If you have to take your boss or your aunt to dinner, go to The Pit. If you are looking for BBQ on a Sunday, it's still The Pit. But if you want better BBQ, it's the Pig everytime for me. Can't get enough of that sauce.

1  Thank jxx9595
Reviewed 19 April 2017 via mobile

In town on business and was looking for some Caroline BBQ while in Chapel Hill. Chose The Pig on fellow Trip Advisor reviews and took a couple colleagues with me.

We had the pulled pork, smoked chicken and brisket. Sides ranged from the Brussel sprouts, to potato salad, to fries, to coleslaw, to fried okra.

All in all, the food was excellent. Only knock would be there was a shortage of staff out front and the guy taking orders was a bit overwhelmed with a rush.

Other than that, strongly recommend going and enjoying some east Carolina cooking...

1  Thank Ross I
Reviewed 19 April 2017

We went to The Pig with my daughter and her family, including 3 young children. It is very casual. You order at the counter and they bring your food to you. You can eat inside or out. It us not a huge place so you want to be careful on weekends or you may have to wait for a table. We loved our meals here - I had the special, which was rib tips, which came with coleslaw, hush puppies, and their delicious homemade pickles. They also serve beer, including some interesting craft beers. We purchased some store-made kielbasa for Easter morning - it was great.

1  Thank Dot13