New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #17 of 277 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: USD 21 - USD 30
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
North Carolina
“Relaxing atmosphere, decent food & service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Because we had heard this was a Chapel Hill institution I went with family for a casual dinner. We sat outside and really enjoyed the atmosphere created by the tall bamboo and waterfall. We started with the jalapeno and cheddar hush puppies served with cocktail sauce. They were cooked well and flavorful. Surprisingly, the cocktail sauce really was a good condiment for them. I had the red beans and rice with corn bread. It was very tasty once I mixed in the cheese and cilantro topping. My dinner companion was disappointed with the chicken and sausage soup and salad calling it just average and not up to the hype. The third dinner ordered was a custom burger with fries that was declared better than average. I had heard the service was amazing despite the moderate prices, but our server kept us waiting frequently and even forgot what I had ordered for dessert so had to come back to ask again --it was the chocolate souffle and yes, that was well worth the wait! Be sure to save room for it if you love chocolate. I don't think it lives up to all the hype, but it is a decent and relaxing place to eat. We will go again, especially when the weather allows for outside dining and we want to have a few drinks and take our time.

nj
“Salt and More Salt”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

All three of our dinners and the app were so over salted that we barely ate them. The server who was very pleasant never asked if we were enjoying our food...pretty obvious from the amt left on our plates that we did NOT. From the burger to the shrimp and grits, this was an amazingly bad meal. We would absolutely NOT go back or recommend. This place was very busy so maybe we just had a bad experience.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank missylrp
Boston, Massachusetts
“A bit overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Crooks Corner is famous for their Shrimp and Grits. It is also billed as a cajun type restaurant. The decor is fitting for a college town, the bar and seating inside is basic and the seating outside is relatively comfortable.

My colleague thoroughly enjoyed the Shrimp and Grits. I elected to go with the Carolina Platter. Overall the platter was disappointing as I was looking forward to a "great" meal. The cornbread and greens were excellent, the barbecued pork is essentially a pulled pork and dragged the rest of the dinner down.

Overpriced, yet there were clear signs the locals supported the Crook's Corner.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bill C
Hong Kong, China
“Shrimp and Grits forever!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

This was the first shrimp and grits I have ever had and that was awesome! I heard people saying bad things about grits so I was really glad I tasted my first at the best! Staff were friendly too!

• Visited December 2011
Miramar, Florida, United States
“Best pancakes!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

It has been a long time snce I have eaten pancakes as good as these - light, fluffy and delicious flavor. The Hoppin' Johns is good too. The service was top-notch: the waiters help each other to make sure you don't wait long for anything.