“Ineresting experience”

Babalu Tapas & Tacos
Ranked #67 of 320 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: USD 5 - USD 20
Reviewed 22 June 2018

This restaurant is a Mexican tapas place with a very good menu for the meat lover as well as the vegetarian. The service was quick and efficient and there was a very short wait for what we ordered. The guacamole was interesting and delicious. We each ordered our main dish and some ordered sides that were big enough to share. The tacos were small and the variety was okay. As a first time patron, we were pleased with the decor, staff and quality of the food served.

Reviewed 19 May 2018

I had heard good things about Babalu Tapas and Tacos, a restaurant that recently opened in Eastgate Shopping Center. My friend and I went there for lunch on a Thursday at about noon. The restaurant was not too busy; I would say that about 1/2 the tables had customers sitting at them. We wanted to order one of the lunch specials, but were told we could not order a special unless we ordered a beverage, which we did not wish to do. Instead, we each ordered from the regular menu a Caesar salad with grilled salmon. The greens and salmon were both fresh but the serving of salmon was skimpy. My main complaint, however, was the noise level. The surfaces were all hard and the ceilings were high. The noise just echoed around the room. My friend and I had to almost scream at each other and still had trouble hearing what was being said. I will never return to this restaurant because of the noise level. I can have a more restful lunch at a fast food restaurant.

Reviewed 29 April 2018

First time visiting this restaurant and sorry it was on our last night in Chapel Hill. Really looking forward to our next visit in a couple of months! On Tuesdays they have $2 TACO's. Went with husband (not very adventurous) and daughter. I had the Costilla which is braised short rib taco, and a to die for Atun which is saku tuna. Hubby had Redfish (blackened gulf redfish) and Camarones (grilled gulf shrimp). He raved! Daughter had Costilla, Atun and Camarones. All 3 of us almost ordered more. We decided to try the desserts so we shared Dulche De Leche Cheesecake bites and Cinnamon Bread pudding. Both were very good. Our server was very attentive and service was great. Everything was made there and fresh. You can watch as they make the tacos in the open kitchen.Lots of gluten free options too! Oh, almost forgot quacamole made fresh at the table with warm chrunchy chips!

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

This was our first visit and felt the atmosphere was a bit snobby (this includes the workers) Drinks were good but a little expensive. The guacamole was made fresh next to us but was bland. I wouldn't recommend the cheese dip, thought it would be more melty and it dried up quick. A bridal party came in while we were there and would give dirty looks everytime we looked in their area. If you want a private event where nobody can see you, don't have your party in a public place. The whole experience just wasn't worth the bill. I didn't leave feeling like my money was well spent.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Food tastes fine, but I'm not impressed overall and I think it is overpriced for what you get and the portions. Made at the table guac is okay, but not a good portion for the price. The tacos are good but SMALL and not enough meat (again, for the price). Very loud atmosphere. For a similar experience and food I would go to bartaco--MUCH better food and larger portions. Service was good and attentive; nice beer and bar selection.