“Disappointing Return to Mountain Gate”

Mountain Gate Indian Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 39 Restaurants in Woodstock
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 27 February 2017

I haven't eaten here in over 10 years but I do remember it fondly. The food was good and it filled tired and weary souls who were out hiking all day long. However, our return was unfortunately not pleasant. Many reviews speak to poor service and I can say they are warranted. The staff is not very attentive especially noting only one other table was seated besides mine. They did seem to have a decent flow of take-out orders as well.

Food. The food they make is overall good quality though it takes a long time based on what I'm used to in Indian restaurants. One major snafu - I found a hair in the Nan. This is where the service was odd - they at first didn't seem to understand it was a problem and later still charged me for the bread (note I did ask for another to replace the problem one). I don't believe they are an unclean restaurant and am hopeful this was a one-off issue.

Their desert menu was also limited but my major concern was again with service - I hope they improve by being more attentive with their customers.

Reviewed 24 January 2017

I enjoyed the vegetarian items on the menu. They taste authentic. There is a buffet once a week with many choices. Service, prices and food are good.

1  Thank oxoxoxox
Reviewed 8 November 2016

We went there rather early, 5ish, the restaurant was empty. We enjoyed the quiet. Service was good and helpful.it was byob so we promptly went out and bought a bottle of wine. No problem bringing our small service dog.The atmosphere was dated, but we felt it was part of the charm. It is a real Woodstock restaurant, not a Manhattan wannabe. .Highly recommended.

Reviewed 22 October 2016

I'll be honest, the place looks like it was opened in the 1970's and hasn't been updated at all since. You will be underwhelmed. The staff is also friendly but not always up on the food, maybe they are seasonal help? But I still go there every time I go to the region, which is frequently.

The owner apparently uses his family recipes and it is the best Indian food I have ever had, this coming from a New York City resident who used to live a block from the "little India" in downtown. Whatever you order you can not go wrong here.

So, overlook the decor and be patient with the staff, and you will be rewarded with awesome food

Reviewed 13 September 2016

took 1 hour to deliver the food. order was lost. wrong appetizer delivered. wasn't even busy. some yelling going on in the kitchen. food was pretty good. waitress was stressed out. hopefully they were having a bad night and your experience will be better.