“Gracious Hosts”

Cadence Lodge at Whiteface
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 18 October 2016

We traveled to Cadence Lodge for a 2-night weekend stay and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. We traveled with another couple and each reserved newly renovated king rooms. Each room was spotless and the bedding and furnishings were fresh and new. The owners were friendly and helpful with their knowledge of the area. We enjoyed their new outside bar and gas fireplace at the end of a long hike of Whiteface, which this lodge is conveniently located near. In the morning we were surprised to find a lovely complementary breakfast of fresh fruit salad, pastries, bagels, oatmeal, yogurt and more! Each day we enjoyed strolling the lodge to great music played through a wireless speaker system strategically placed in the common areas. They offered bikes to ride, which I hadn't left enough time to take advantage of, however, I WILLIAM be returning, and plan to take a bike ride next stay. Highly recommend this is you are looking for a little 1950's mid-century lodge which is being restored to its original glory...while being updated with tasteful modern amenities!

Room Tip: Spend a little extra to have a renovated room! It's worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rooster913

Reviewed 17 October 2016

The room is very clean and the owners very welcoming. The breakfast it was a very nice surprise... Everything you need to start the day was offered and the options were healthy.
Certainly me and my family will be going back.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Luciana A
Reviewed 17 October 2016

From the time we arrive we were greeted by the owner who was busy making this place a diamond in the ruff. A bit outside of Lake Placid, you will find this quaint little Hotel, with charming rooms and friendly owners who have renovated this spot with updated furnishings and deco! There is an outside fire pit and a semi enclosed wet bar with propane fireplace complete with comfy couches and cozy blankets and pillows... a bar with music. Perfect for the end of the day after you have hiked or shopped til you dropped... we enjoyed sitting and sipping some great wine memorized by the fire... The owners I believe were slow cooking something yummy in a double BBQ, no doubt it was delicious !! My guess is if you brought back a steak you could have thrown it on !! Our room was #31. A double . Plenty big for both of us (two couples) divided by a spacious bathroom with plenty of towels. Very sweet and warm thanks to enough heat and some very cute electric make shift fireplaces...which added to the charm. I must say , if you need alot of quiet you may ask for a room away from the street as you can hear traffic, its close to a busy road,,, no worries here... we are used to a semi busy street... and my girlfriend and I suffer with chronic snorers !!! They offer and wonderful (inclusive) breakfast which we did not enjoy, but I did spy.. and it looked delicious !!! We were eager to hit the road..... They have bikes for you to enjoy.... all in all We Will be back for a longer stay !! Thanks for a great night !!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank catcota1
Reviewed 12 October 2016

We planned a last minute trip to the Adirondacks and were left with literally two options for our family. One motel up in Plattsburgh, NY and the Cadence Lodge. I reserved the renovated King room and requested an additional cot or mattress for one of our kids to sleep on. At check-in I was asked how many people would be using the room. I was honest and said that our family of five would be staying there for the night. The owner was annoyed that we had this many people in the room, charged me $30 extra for my three children (7 and younger) sleeping in the room and told me about the onsite amenities.
A few minutes later, he came to our room and berated me for bringing my family to his motel. I went from feeling grateful and appreciative for his understanding of our situation to completely shocked and unwelcome. If you agree to take a customer's money you don't berate them after the fact. NOT COOL.
The room itself was fine. I'm glad we ended up with one of the remodeled rooms for the cost. The mattress was comfortable and bedding appeared to be new. The walls separating the rooms must be fairly thin as we could hear the guests talking in the room next to ours as we were going to bed.
They served a continental breakfast around 7:30 am, but we did not help ourselves as we felt like we were already imposing on the owners. We ended up getting breakfast at a nice roadside cafe just down the road.
Our experience could have been a very positive one, but the owner decided to berate me and ruin what started out as a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Rick P
Shelley P, Owner at Cadence Lodge at Whiteface, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2016

Hi, this is Don. I'm the owner you interacted with on Saturday night. I would like to set the record straight as I went to extraordinary efforts to accommodate you and your family and your account of your brief stay with us is entirely unfair and almost completely untrue.

First and foremost, I never “berated” you. I simply impressed upon you how important it was that you not allow our recently renovated room to be damaged by the fact that I was allowing it to be occupied at 250% of its capacity. I did so in a calm and respectful manner and to characterize the tenor of my comments as anything else is simply false.

When making the reservation, had you honestly described the size of your party (2 adults and 3 children) our automated reservation system would have informed you that we had no rooms available. That is done for a reason. Room occupancy is based on the size of the room and how many people it can accommodate safely and comfortably. It’s also how we establish our rates. As you know, when you made the reservation you indicated that there would only be one adult and no children. It was only at check-in, and after you knew that I had personally observed the actual size of your party, that you disclosed that you needed accommodations for fully 500% more people than that for which you originally booked the room.

As in most hotels, rates are based on double occupancy. There is typically a fee for each additional guest, regardless of age, to help offset the cost of the use of more linen, toiletries, electricity, and water and complimentary breakfast. For us, that cost is an additional $10/person which is in line with industry standards.

Also, I did not simply "come to your room a few minutes later". I came at your request because you asked for additional towels to accommodate the additional three persons that were now staying in a room equipped to lodge no more than two. At that time, I did take an extra moment to respectfully ask you be careful in the room as it was recently renovated at great cost to us. Again, had we known the party size in advance we would never allowed it to be used in the fashion and manner to which we were now being asked.

When you showed up with four more people than for what the reservation was made, I had a decision to make: 1) I could refuse you the room because it was not designed to accommodate your large party, in which case I would have been well within my rights to charge you for the room anyway (we have a 72 hour cancellation policy), or; 2) I could show sympathy for what appeared to me to be road-weary father who just wanted a place for he and his family to rest their heads. I chose the latter; so imagine my surprise upon reading your post.

My recommendation to you is to accurately describe the size of your party when making hotel reservations. This helps the hotel assign you the appropriate accommodations that are both comfortable - and safe - for you and your family without you or the hotel management feeling put upon. Please keep this in mind when booking other hotels in the future.

Reviewed 12 October 2016

Cadence Lodge appears to be managing expectations by emphasizing the locale, which is spectacular. The Inn itself is Adirondack tourist-rustic, which is not to say uncomfortable (but test the bed). We stayed in a two-bed 'suite' - sparsely furnished - but you don't plan to spend your day inside. Breakfast includes healthier choices than the typical tourist spot in the US. The K-cup coffee dispensers are somewhat offset (carbon-wise) by ceramic mugs in the rooms.

Room Tip: test the bed.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

Thanks Kevin. I'm so glad you enjoyed the region. It is exceptionally beautiful this time of year. We are renovating the Lodge room by room while making many improvements to the property as well. I hope you'll return in the future and request to stay in one of our renovated rooms. They are all new and boast all the modern amenities while preserving the 1950s charm.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
0.0 km away
3.3 km away
The Hungry Trout Resort
The Hungry Trout Resort
#3 of 9 in Wilmington

Been to Cadence Lodge at Whiteface? Share your experiences!