“Japanese tucker at its best”
Review of Kishi Sushi Bar

Kishi Sushi Bar
Ranked #4 of 30 Restaurants in Kalamunda
Price range: USD 13 - USD 28
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Description: Authentic Japanese style restaurant. Small and cosy booth and bar style seating. Full of character; a tiny piece of Japan in the Perth Hills.
Reviewed 17 September 2014

We love the Kishi Sushi Bar in Kalamunda and either dine there or get takeaway on a regular basis. The proprietor has trained in Japan and has Japanese assistant chefs. The food is meticulously prepared, beautifully served (even for takeaways), and always delicious. Note that seating is very limited and you may have to wait during the busy lunch hour. Takeaway is always an option and in good weather you can eat outdoors in the adjacent park at the Kalamunda Library. A great place for lunch. Evening dining is available but is limited to certain days of the week.

2  Thank John G

Reviewed 5 September 2014

Kalamunda comes up with the goods! What a little gem. Being a cafe-hater (pokey little places with yesterday's cakes and concoctions of burnt, ground beans), I was unhappy that as I wasn't able to get to the city, I'd be unable to find some tolerable Asian food in 'The Hills'.
Despondently asking my mother to drop me off in Haynes St after an Opthamologist appointment left me temporarily unable to drive, she stated, "There's a new little Japanese place up the top of the street on the right". Being in a tired and hungry state, I expected to soon be trying to hold back from explaining to a grumpy looking waitperson that smoked salmon and tuna from a can wasn't fresh fish whilst choking on goopy tasteless rice and 'fake' wasabi.
How wrong was I?!
This place produces some really nice Japanese food, combining great, super-fresh produce, skill and passion! Seared mackerel or salmon, fresh real crabmeat, bento-boxes, dine in or take away.
Luckily, I was getting some take-away, as the tiny seating area was already taken up. There's very limited seating but the friendly waitress did state you could book in for a meal that would be custom-catered from their offerings to suit you and a small group of friends.
I'd call this a 'micro restaurant' if I had to pigeon-hole a description. Unfortunately, as I wasn't dining in, I didn't notice details of alcohol licensing. There is no easy wheelchair access and it would be quite cramped if you could even get one in.
Staff were happy and the waitress friendly. I was charmed that when a disabled man wandered in, obviously not interested in any food but wanting a loud and inappropriate conversation, she spoke to him in a friendly manner and after he left went out to check he had got on his way ok.
It's places like these that I wish the best of luck for their business endeavours; a win-win-win: win for them, the community and my appetite!
Tip: take away is made from scratch; this place does everything fresh so it's not 'fast food'!

2  Thank Coompy