All reviews perfect base easter break close to town great spot chalet bugs oven beaches
Reviewed 11 February 2015

My wife and I have stayed at Gum Grove Chalets four times now. Twice with other family members including toddler grandchildren and dogs. The setting is beautifull nestled in trees on Ocean Beach Road. It is a short drive or bicycle ride to Denmark (there is a cycle way by the road) or to Ocean beach. The chalets that are dog friendly have no carpet and are smaller than the others but are still quite comfortable and adequate for a family and a dog or two. The other chalets are bigger and more comfortable with additional facilities such as an oven. All the beds are great I am 6ft tall and have no trouble sleeping there. The chalets are well equiped and if any thing is needed although there are no staff permanently onsite help is only a phone call away. The site has a great communal barbecue area undercover if you want to socialise with other patrons who choose to do that also. Each chalet has its own parking area close to it and outside space with furniture should you wish to sit outside for meals etc. The chalets are clean but because they are set amongst trees and there is a gravel road around the site they are not spotless, some dust is inevitable. I recommend Gum Grove Chalets to anyone seeking a taste of the Southern Ocean life.

Room tip: The bunk beds are great for kids.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank David R
Reviewed 9 February 2015

We stayed at gum grove over the long Australia Day weekend . It was a last minute thing and were really happy we found this place. The chalet Moort was spotlessly clean. Really relaxing casual style chalet and felt like we were getting away from the city. The setting is relaxed and surrounded by bird life. The ocean beach is not far and the township of Denmark is close so all in all a great location.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2015

We stayed in gum grove chalets for 2 nights. It was totally worth the money you pay for it. The sheets were all clean and the room was neat. There was a playground for the kids so the kids were all busy. The only concern was we could not find any staff to ask if the water is safe to drink or ask any other questions. However, I'll recommend it to my friends.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2015

We hired "Karri" Chalet for 2 - nestled amongst beautiful tall trees for a December 2014 holiday. The cottage was comfortable, with everything supplied, very clean & neat. Beds (new and very clean mattresses ! & comfortable) with bed linen beautifully laundered and spotless throughout with a modernised bathroom. Situated ~ 2 kms from the beautiful & funky town of Denmark and ~ 2 kms to the stunning beaches with (beginning from the town on Ocean Beach Rd a fabulous cycle / walkway path that stretches to the beaches. Cycling each morning listening to Kookaburras and Magpies was awesome and then spotting Kangaroos in the paddocks and amongst tall trees - fantastic. Whilst cooking on our BBQ (take your own) if you dont wish to avail yourself of the well equiped camp kitchen we saw stunning Blue Wrens feeding and fluttering about close to our chalet each evening. There are a lot of bigger chalets for families, there is an office and we found checking in was no hazzle at all, very busy time of the year and the other guests in all chalets respected other guests privacy. I would recommend these Chalets - there is a massive amount to do and see in this beautiful area of WA - and the locals were ever so friendly and welcoming . Bernie Peirl

Date of stay: December 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bernie P
Reviewed 3 January 2015

After looking at some of these comments, I was not sure whether this would be an appropriate accommodation choice for myself, my partner and some friends, but I know that sometimes these reviews aren't quite accurate. So I went to the webpage, and found all I need to know (and after my stay, found it to be absolutely honest and representative, ie no models, not photoshop).
The chalets are set up with everything you could possibly need for a small holiday - everything that hotels put out anyway. It isn't large open plan living, which is clearly evident from the photos so I wasn't expecting spacious living. In fact, it was so nice and cosy, with a bottle of warmed mead from the meadery up the road, and a cheese selection from a local winery, our night was absolutely set.
The chalets are a short drive to the beach, and Scottsdale Road, so our days weren't wasted on driving all over to the tourist spots.
The Manager's number is written on a whiteboard, and when we called him at 10pm (!!!) he answered. We felt terrible because he too has a family life of his own. This tells you so much about the type of service this place offers.
In summary, if you are after cheap, self contained accommodation for a family (and dog friendly too I found out) close to wineries, beaches, and surrounds (Walpole, Denmark, Mt Barker), and you are ok with a bit of dust (bushland setting) and flies (we're in Australia), I would seriously consider Gum Grove.
We will come again and recommend to friends!

Date of stay: July 2014